• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Lens effect when starting a trainer battle?

Guest123_x1

When a Trainer (including Gym Leader and Elite Four) battle starts, a red Pok?Ball graphic made of blocks fades in and out of the screen to start the battle. Is it just me, or have any of you also noticed this graphic giving out a "lens" effect, where part of the screen is "distorted" as if being viewed through a magnifying glass or a funhouse mirrror shaped like a sphere? It looked like this since I first started playing Generation II on my Game Boy Color when I got Silver for Christmas 2000. Could it just be an optical illusion (since the 8-bit Game Boy hardware isn't really that graphically capable of advanced visual effects)?

Forgive me if I'm grasping at straws for posting this thread and asking these questions, but this thing has been bugging me since 2000 when I first got Generation II.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    No it's totally cool to ask haha :) I THINK I get what you're talking about. I have no clue why in regards to technical reasons but maybe to make the battle seem cooler in addition to the red graphic? Nooo other clue why though!

But yeah I think I get what you're referring to... maybe the random flash of red induces it? I dunno.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I've never noticed something like that, but I've noticed that on the VC release, the colors seem to darken while the screen flashes and go back to their original brightness once it stops flashing.

I'm pretty sure in the original GBC release the colors remained the same brightness the whole time.

I think this is related to your automatic brightness setting, if you have it turned on. Since the game immediately goes dark, the brightness follows, too.

I did notice something else however. In the original releases, when you perform an attack like Tackle, the Pok?mon's HP en Exp. bar disappears. However this does not happen in the VC releases anymore; instead the bar follows the movement of the Pok?mon (in the case of Tackle, it also moves forward). I was really weirded out at first because I felt something wasn't right but I couldn't put my finger on it. I wonder why and how they changed this.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I haven't used any Electric moves so far so I can't say anything about that. Interesting how they implemented some graphic differences but left in some other issues (like glitches).

Back