• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Level Restrictions (Won't Obey)

Setzer Gabbiani

Gambler
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    Hello, I am making a ROM hack of Pokemon Emerald that is solely story based. There are no gyms, and no Elite Four. The flags that hold you Gym Badges are going to be used for 8 side quests that will eventually unlock an area that will either hold a strong Pokemon you can catch, developers room, secret post-game scene, etc...

In other words, the flags that get checked and unlock the Gym Badges are all optional, because they are not really badges. This brings up the problem of Pokemon not obeying you, though. Is there any way to make it so that the code that tells Pokemon over a certain level not to obey you without a badge will actually obey you anyway?

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • The obeying rule only takes effect if the Pokemon you are using has a different trainers ID (so if the Pokemon is traded to you from another player). This shouldn't be a problem for you since it's a ROM hack, not an official game.

Setzer Gabbiani

Gambler
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    The obeying rule only takes effect if the Pokemon you are using has a different trainers ID (so if the Pokemon is traded to you from another player). This shouldn't be a problem for you since it's a ROM hack, not an official game.

That makes sense, I totally forgot that it doesn't matter if it is owned by you originally. Thank you so much. Maybe you can help with my next question as well, so that I don't have to make a whole other thread for it.

Do you know if it is possible to have you lose a battle, yet still continue on with the story? (Similarly to your first rival battle in FR/LG) I need this for a few parts of the story in my game, yet I don't recall it being used anywhere in R/S/E

Years
  • Trainerbattle 0x9
    make a normal battle script, but instead of trainerbattle 0x1 use 0x9, that way your script will continue after you lose
    If you dont lose, the script will continue anyways, so that may lead to some nonsense scripts
    e.g.: You win the battle and the guy says "Better luck next time"

Back