• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Line art newbie

Years
So I have always drawn in a lined notebook. I have seen people create digital art over traditional art, or from scratch. I really want to do this. Plz offer me tips, and some basic guidelines. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
The best thing you can do to help yourself is to stop drawing on lined paper. Use fresh, unlined, blank sketchbook paper for your sketches. Define your drawing, then go over it with ink. Make sure there's good contrast. Scan your drawing and open it in your illustration software. Adjust the brightness, contrast, hue, etc. until it is at an acceptable point (where the black lines are crisp and defined and the background is mostly white). Do any touching up you feel is necessary before moving on to color.

This little guide is just one of the ways you can go from traditional to digital art, but it's not the only way. And the above assumes a lot about where you are in regards to your technical and artistic skill. Do you have illustration software or a tablet? These things are important if you're going to start taking up digital art. Let us know the tools you're working with and what you do know about digital art so we can help you! :)

Years
Right now I'm planning ahead. Soon my pc will be repaired. Right now I only have access to Gimp and Sketchbook express on my phone. I could easily buy sone utensil equipment. What type of paper would you recommend?*like the size and all* I will still use notebook paper, but only for concept type of reasons

Back