• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Link-compatible games with only the first 251 pokemon

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    Hello! After a loooong time (imagine, I havent played pokemon since Red and Blue, before GBC came out), me and my girldfriend are feeling nostalgic and we would like to play a little again. She's played up to crystal version and is not willing to play with newer pokemon (she thinks they are ugly). So, I have tried to emulate two crystal roms to be able to play, exchange and battle via LINK, but I have some problems:
    -First, if I use GBCemu, linking works OK, but we cant save the game (we can save state but that's not ok because the internal clock does not work correctly).
    -Second, if I use VBA, the internal clock works perfectly but Link is not supported.

What we want is to play with the first 251 pokemon and being able to connect via LINK to battle/exchange. No matter how. It would be great if we could find a crystal hack that removed internal gameclock or something like that.
    I'd also want to get some information of romhacks. I have seen there's a Crystal version for GBA using Firered as base rom. Is it complete? Would it allow us to play together via VBA?

Any solution, suggestion, alternative is welcome. Thanks for reading and have a nice day :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    ok here's what I've managed to do:
    I read FireRed and GreenLeaf for GBA are remakes of the 1st pokemon games we played, plus some extras (some 2nd and 3rd gen pokemons are included in a new zone now). So we downloaded VBAlink (google :) ), applied the patches to be able to save the game and now we're playing together in the same computer. We tested the link and it works.
    So, VBAlink, just in case someone is willing to play GBA multiplayer like us, works perfectly for a good number of pokemon roms. You can play on the same computer, or via LAN/wireless. It isnt complicated to make it work. Aaaaand best of all, we can copy our games to a pendrive and continue playing while we're away :).

And now I must run and get a Psyduck, my favourite pokemon from my childhood

Back