• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lip Sync tutorial

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years

Lip Sync Tutorial

Hey guys, my name is Dema, and after recently getting a new drawing tablet called the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Medium I started on a new animation project (Details to come) and like any animation, it requires dialouge, which can only look good with the appropriate lip sync or as some call it "Lip Flap." This is what animators do to portray a exact look of the mouth when they talk.

Now there are some things you MUST remember-

-- The human mouth is NOT perfect.
We speak in diffrent accents and ways that it can really affect how our mouths look when they are speaking.
-- Know your character before you create lip flap.
Somewhat restating what is said before, people talk in different accents and ways, and just knowing how your character talks will make it seem so real and professional.
-- Dont imagine your words as the letter, imagine them as the sound. So instead of saying
"A" you would say "Ah"

Now, what does the human mouth look like when it speaks?

f5oRrV6.jpg

This is our mouths when saying the letter sounds of "D, T, Tha, L, La, and N."

dvKOyNW.jpg

This is when we say the sound "O, or Oooooo" Simple, right?

om2DFdX.jpg

This is for when we say 'Nnnn, or Sssss' or just 'S' by itself.

DfnRCAU.jpg

This is for an 'M, Mmm, Puh, P, B, Buh' sound.

y6Hn9PL.jpg

This is for a 'Q and U.'

d1uMgSF.jpg

This is for 'Vee, E,' and most noticeably a 'F'

mxysSlJ.jpg

Now this, the mother of all mouth movements, this is what you will be using the most in dialogue. This is used for 'C, G, I, K, J, S,' and 'Z'

Now putting it together- *COMING SOON*
To put this together, you just listen to every single syllable and listen to the most emphasized letter sound in the syllable.
(I will try to update this with a tutorial on how to put it together soon-ish.)

Thank you, if you need help, just ask :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh! This is quite interesting! Can't wait to see how all of these things get applied in your animation. It's not an easy process, but it seems like you've got a lot of the fundamental processes down. Best of luck in your project here! :)

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
Oh! This is quite interesting! Can't wait to see how all of these things get applied in your animation. It's not an easy process, but it seems like you've got a lot of the fundamental processes down. Best of luck in your project here! :)

Thanks! Im gonna update the pictures later- not my best work :)

Back