• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Looking for a teacher...

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    So, I'm very new at hacking pokemon games... and as such, I'm very new to the Scripting Program "XSE" which is used for the majority of the hacking involved.

Now, I've always been very into game design, as a whole, and I used to fiddle around with RPGMaker XP, which is still on my computer, and I still mess around with a little bit...

However, as it were... I'm very interested in making a pokemon game of my very own, but I can't... as I find everything that is needed for PKMN hacking a bit overwhelming, but I won't let that stop me.

I've seen, and looked through, and attempted to follow the Tutorials given on this site. Everything from Pedro32's "Everything" Tutorial, and diegoisawesome's "MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting" Tutorial. However, my greatest weakness is as follows...

I can't learn something, unless someone is there to explain it to me... so basically... I can't learn it on my own. I need help from someone who is much more experienced, and has free time to help me understand what each of the programs do... a list of which is located below.

List of Programs I wish to learn about:
    Advance Map
    A-Ptch
    A-Trainer
    Free Space Finder
    NTME (I have 2, both from the same download...)
    unLZ
    XSE

Other Programs I have: (Which seem pretty straight forward)
    Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor (Which I probably won't use)
    A-Starter
    NSE
    OverworldEditorRE
    RHEA
    SMCA
    YAPE

If anyone is willing to help me... you can post here, or PM me... it doesn't matter to me either way.

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
    I have suggestions for you.

Instead of A-Ptch, I'd use LunarIPS because it works for all GBA games, it's only two buttons, and easier to use. In fact it's up at my website's downloads page if you need it.

Free Space Finder isn't really needed if you have HxD because you should at least be challenged a bit or else your hack won't be satisfying. HxD is very versatile and I've used it for a long time; it's very well-made. It's basically an awesome hex editor. You can scroll quickly with Ctrl+Mouse Wheel, copy+paste infinitely large chunks of hex, expand roms, and more. It works on GBA and NDS roms, as far as I know.

I have both GBA Graphics Editor and Hacked unLZ (by HackMew). Sometimes I choose which one to use, and sometimes one is better than the other, so you could try it.

Get APE by HackMew. If you're making a patch no doubt you'd have to edit palettes at some point. You'd be too limited without it.

Grab PKSVUI if you're new to scripting, then practice and use XSE to edit the script further when needed.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hi! I see you're in need of some help. :]

I'd actually like to direct you to this thread, and preferably get your opinion on it. There's going to be a new thread posted soon for people to sign up or say that they're coming, but the goal is to try and reach people like you who are lost and don't know where to start with hacking. Anyway, thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    @Timaeous: I have all of the programs you suggested... (of course, I got most of them after I originally posted... and I didn't know about HxD or GBA Graphics Editor until you posted, although, I'm not currently wanting to learn Graphics editing, and until I figure out XSE (which is coming along smoothly) I'll just stick with FSF.

@Vrai: Yeah, I saw that thread when I first arrived. I like the idea, however, unless the idea is planned out well, and then executed, I won't put a word in... because things like that don't normally work to well... at first... (like one-on-one tutoring over the internet)... You'll have to go through it, and then look through and discover your errors, and missteps... because no matter the planning, there will be problems.

Divider

Grand Master Johto Champion
    Years
    To get you started, you should just hop in. Grab a Firered rom and experiment with things in Advance map.

There is no "Unified Teachings" most people learn at there own pace, on there own time.

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
    My main piece of advice is to make a copy of your rom before editing so that if you mess up you can copy it in and replace your messed up rom to rehack.

Back