• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle] Looking for beginner help

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hey all im brand new to the website so apologies if im posting in the wrong place but im trying to learn a bit about making my own hacks/edits to pokemon (B2W2 atm, would love to make personal changes to radical red but i dont think thats possible lol). To start I wanted to edit the damage calculation formula to experiment with reducing type effectiveness from 2x and 4x to 1.5x 2x. I tried searching around and couldnt find any tools that seemed able to do that so i tried downloading and opening HxD and attempt manually changing it. Here's my problem, I am a total newbie and dont know where to start learning. The second i opened a file extracted from Nitro Explorer 2 (it was /a/0/5/6 i saw someone say its Ingame Scripts so i thought maybe that's where the damage formula is) I was bombarded with walls of stuff unreadable to me. If anyone has some beginner guides, video would be preferred, but anything that I could use to understand how to do small hex editing, I would greatly appreciate any help!

Years
    Hello, welcome! I'm also a relatively new rom hacker if you count what I actually know because my interest picks up and drops off in cycles. I can tell you most people hack in generation 3, Fire Red being the most common for binary hacking. Emerald having something called Decomp which is even better if you're tech savvy (way too high IQ for me) There's loads of Gen 3 tools around and tutorials for those tools. As for Gen 5 hacking unfortunately i personally have little clue as to if that's even a thing at all let alone how to do that lol

As a guy who's IQ is relatively room temperature, (and I tend to be as lazy as I can get away with being) I can't help much with even Hex editing at the moment because most of those concepts fly over my head.

So far I've mostly stuck to Gen 3 tools, A-Map, Gen 3 Hacking Suite, PGE, XSE, Hopeless Trainer Editor and the easy to use parts of Hex Maniac Advance primarily.

Wish I could be of more help!

Anyways! I hope you've found some info here already.

Back