• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for friends in Japan!

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    Well, I moved from the US to Japan for work back in February. I live in Yokosuka, which is about 45 minutes from Tokyo by train. While it didn't take me too long to acclimate to how different things are here, one thing I have struggled with since I arrived is making Japanese friends. Now, I don't speak much Japanese, and I know that puts me at a huge disadvantage, but I've seen several native Japanese speak very good english. That being said, I haven't been many places where meeting Japanese people seems practical. Should I just randomly start approaching people, or walk around with a shirt that says "let's be friends!" In Japanese?

I am having a pretty good time in Japan so far, but I'd love to make some native friends and hopefully expand upon the experience that I am having here so far. Any advice you folks might have is greatly appreciated.

Years
  • Well, I moved from the US to Japan for work back in February. I live in Yokosuka, which is about 45 minutes from Tokyo by train. While it didn't take me too long to acclimate to how different things are here, one thing I have struggled with since I arrived is making Japanese friends. Now, I don't speak much Japanese, and I know that puts me at a huge disadvantage, but I've seen several native Japanese speak very good english. That being said, I haven't been many places where meeting Japanese people seems practical. Should I just randomly start approaching people, or walk around with a shirt that says "let's be friends!" In Japanese?

I am having a pretty good time in Japan so far, but I'd love to make some native friends and hopefully expand upon the experience that I am having here so far. Any advice you folks might have is greatly appreciated.
    If you're trying to meet new people you might want to start with the people you work with because work groups often have drinking parties and aside from opening people up they can potentially lead to to non-work invitations to other drinking parties that might include other people. I mean, this is all on the assumption that you don't mind that kind of stuff. They can be expensive or awkward. But, if you like to sing you can try karaoke as an alternative to going to a bar or izakaya.

Do you have a hobby you can do while you're there? If you can show an interest in something then others might have an interest in you, maybe? Some Japanese people are just really curious to see foreigners and practice their English. Maybe not so much in the area you're in since that wouldn't be too rare to see a foreigner. Still, if you're out and about doing something interesting, or just showing an interesting in something, and you seem approachable then someone might approach you. In my experience most Japanese people seem friendly enough and really appreciate anyone who takes the effort to come to their country and learn about it. Trying and sincerity go a long way.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions Esper. Unfortunatrly, I don't drink and I dont work with any Japanese. I do enjoy building Gundam Model kits, but thats not really a hobby that people go outside their homes to do, and I havent been able to build any since I moved here due to living space limitations.

My experience with Japanese so far is that they are really very shy and introverted. The only time I see them really loosen up is over alcohol, but again, I dont drink.

I suppose I could explore other hobbies in hopes of meeting people that way. If I could just figure out where all of the Japanese adults that play pokemon are hiding...

Back