• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking to do a simple tile swap as an experiment to learn basics

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    I'm looking to swap the regular johto_water.png with polished crystal's faraway_water, the hiccup here is that the faraway_water seems to be animated differently, so this probably isn't a great starter project, but it's something I'm looking to do for my hack regardless

How can I go about doing this?

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2024
    I'm looking to swap the regular johto_water.png with polished crystal's faraway_water, the hiccup here is that the faraway_water seems to be animated differently, so this probably isn't a great starter project, but it's something I'm looking to do for my hack regardless

How can I go about doing this?
    You're right, that isn't an easy thing to start with. Both because there's more to it than just replacing/editing the png file, and because there's currently no tutorial for working with animated tiles in crystal.

You would probably start by figuring out how animations work and then copying over the relevant code and data from polished crystal to your repo.
    engine/tilesets/tileset_anims.asm is likely the file you should be looking at.

If you want to start with something easier, you could check out some of the tutorials on the wiki.

Back