• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lost Memory

evilmetal2004

Hero trainer
Years
  • Author's notes: I wrote this fanfic because i felt inspired to write it, not because i was bored. This is also my first fanfic, so i ask that you dont get slanted because it is my first.

Much appreciation.

The Lost Memory

Prologue: The Nation of Palacios is a large and vast region populated by pokemon and humans. For centuries prosperity has ruled, with humans and pokemon working as one. However, the nation's habitants once felt that one absolute ruler was not enough and that some rules should not be enforced. In this process the nation was divided into two regions: The south region of Rootwood ruled by King Abraco, and the north region of Freadow ruled by King Abel.

With the nation divided into two separate regions both kings came upon an agreement never to invade or trespass their borders. With this appeasement act, both nations were never in any conflict. However, it was that dark and unlucky day that changed the nation forever. The fate of the pokemon, the humans and the nation was left in the hands of only one…

Chapter 1 – The opportunity

"Finally the last piece" a young boy exclaimed as he lifted a piece of wood and rested it on an old but small brown wagon nearby. The boy had shiny tan hair and a skin as smooth as the wood he had finished chopping. His golden eyes reflected the dark blue sky and the boy rested on the fertile soil. While resting steadily and calm in the ground, small but fast drops of water landed on his ripped shirt and his old pants that he immediately raised himself from the ground.

The sky gave off a beautiful concert, drums of thunder roared, fireworks of lightning shined in the clouds and the boy hurried to a drier place. As he dragged the wagon through the forest it began to pour and soon his endeavor was futile. The wagon filled with ample water made his task difficult and he knew he had to find shelter. Finally being able to heave the wagon far enough to avoid the rain, the boy sighed relieved. It was then he realized he would not make it home while the storm was active and he lodged himself under a tree whose branches were as empty as his stomach, and so the boy waited for the storm to abate.

The sky raged with flames of fire. All kinds of flying pokemon were soaring in the sky; pecking and attacking each other until exhaustion. A man wearing an elegant lavender gown was standing in the cliff of a mountain. The bald man was grinning and smiling while he mercifully commanded his army of pokemon, "Destroy them all, useless peasants, we must take over the southern kingdom immediately". The sight of innocent children and woman being viciously attacked made the boy fall down to his knees.
    A warm feeling had surrounded his body and he noticed his clothes were on fire. He shouted for help while rolling violently and wildly against the ground, but the fire kept its form and figure. "Someone help me please, for the love of god..." the voice ceased and the boy laid still in the remaining ashes.

"Ahh" he screamed. His face and hands were soaked in sweat and his feet fiercely shaking simultaneously from fear. "What a nightmare" the boy said, rubbing his eyes and landing straight to his feet. He wandered away to a pond to wash his face and looked at the clear sky, "Wonder what time is it?" he whispered to himself as he stared monotonously at the water. "Oh no I'm late again" He panicked and ran through the woods with the wagon behind. All he could hear was the sound of the cart's annoying rusty wheel and his heart beating rapidly.

A small house appeared in the path, smoke came out from its chimney and the boy stepped inside. A tall woman with rosy cheeks, dark black hair and an apron dress looked directly at his shoes, her eyebrow lowered and her teeth grinned. "How many times have I told you Baldric not to come late?" She shouted, "Don't step on the clean floor with those dirty shoes!" she nagged as she approached Baldric who had a disgusting stench. "Mother I apologize for my lateness but the rain made a delay on my work and there was no way I could have carried…"
    "I don't need excuses young man, take those shoes off, bring in the wood and take a shower immediately. You smell like your grandmother's feet" she interrupted. Baldric lowered his head. "Yes mother what ever you say" he replied as he walked in with the chopped wood, walked to the fireplace and placed the wood carefully on the warm fire. "Son, you know very well I worry about you and at times like these I can't afford to have you come late. Who knows what can happen, maybe a..." Baldric interrupted by stomping on the floor, staring at his mother with a straight face in irritation and eyes that lacked to blink. "Why do you worry so much about me? I try my best to bring in wood in the middle of a storm and this is the thanks I get?" Silence surrounded the room. It was so silent that the only sound Baldric heard was the sound of slow drops of water that fell from the roof into the floor. It was so silent that the presence of his mother was no longer important to him.
    That night Baldric stared reflexive at the ceiling. He felt irritated and wondered why his mother was so strict to him. Wishes and more wishes was all he desired, an opportunity to leave home and find excitement. Wondering himself about the strange dream he had, he asked himself what relevance it had with his life. As he thought of the dream he wished that his life was brought with a little more excitement and joy, for he lacked the smile of life.

"Rise and shine sport" said his mother as she shook the bed to wake him up. Baldric stared at the window on his right and noticed the sun was beginning to rise. "Its too early!" he replied, frustrated with his mothers actions. Already in desperation his mother went for critical methods and removed the covers, the sheets and the pillow from his reach, she then took a bucket of cold water and threw it at him. "Well looks like you don't need to worry about taking a shower" she laughed as Baldric jumped shocked from bed. "So what is so important that you had to wake me up on a Saturday morning?" he yawned, stretching his arms as he tried to swallow for his throat was dry. "Look at this flier I found in our front door this morning", Baldric's mother said as she showed him a small poster with the message:

Tournament of champions
    All pokemon trainers are welcomed to participate in the event of the century. A tournament of one-on-one pokemon battles, with only one absolute winner and a grand prize. The winner will receive a total amount of $5000 royals in cash and the opportunity of the hand in marriage of the beautiful and young princess Manami. All participants must register before 7:30 am. You snooze, you lose.
    Signed The king

"So what do you think?" she asked. Baldric's eyes sparkled and opened wide, he wondered if this was one of gods work or if it was the opportunity he was wishing about. "Alright, this is great mother. But won't that mean I would have to leave?" he asked as he grabbed a glass of water and drank rapidly from its container. "Don't drink so fast, you will drown yourself or something." Baldric stared at his mother and saw in her eyes a deep sadness. He knew his mother was alone, now that his father was dead. "Oh come one mom, cheer up. At least I won't be here to annoy you anymore!" he said in sarcasm.

Doris, as she was called gave off a fake and small smile so that she would not break her son's happiness. "Your right son, I will be alright by myself here. Don't you worry about your old mother" she smirked at baldric. "Well get ready, you got a long way to walk and you will probably get hungry along the way. I will wait for you downstairs, so don't hog the shower like you do every morning". Seeing a new opportunity to help himself and his mother he decided to take the challenge into his hands. Baldric dressed himself and as he walked down the stairs he found his mother crying on the sofa.

"Are you okay mother?" he asked worriedly. Doris cleaned away her remaining tears and walked Baldric to the front door. " I am okay Baldric, it must have been from all the onions I chopped this morning for those eggs you love so much " she smiled and handed him a bag full of warm and delicious pastry. "Mother there weren't any onions on those eggs" he replied as he took the bag from his mother's hands. "Well that's not the story right now young man. Just make sure you bring back some money for this old woman and I wish you the best of luck" she said forcing herself not to burst into tears once more as she waved goodbye.

Baldric took off for Rootwood Plaza, walking carefully through the forest as he thought back about his mother. Lost in thought he was confused about his mother's strange behavior. For one, he asked why she was always mad at him and blamed him for everything. Although most of the time it was his own fault. At another end he admired his mother for letting him go and being so worried about his health. Baldric walked for a few hours and encountered a mountain in the path. Slowly and steady he walked up the hill and soon reached the top. Amazed by such beauty he smiled and snickered to himself for his excitement was abstruse. It was there that he saw Rootwood town and his first step to his new life.

Finally reaching Rootwood town Baldric spotted an enormous coliseum. The main entrance was guarded by a man in a suit that was looking indirectly in front of him. With not a moment to waste Baldric stepped in front of the guard, eye to eye, "Excuse me, is this where the registration for the tournament of champions is being held?" he asked confident, but the man did not respond. Losing his patience and impressed with the guard's rudeness he walked into the entrance of the coliseum. As he stepped inside he was immediately stopped by this human armor. It was then he realized the human armor was no other than the guard. Holding into Baldric's shoulder the guard pointed towards a crowd of people and Baldric smiled confusedly but decided to go along with it. As he approached he noticed registration was about to close and he hurried to the registration tables. A man in a green coat was sitting down at the registration table and announced that there were only 5 minutes before they closed. Just in time Baldric registered and looked around, there were many men, tall and small, some muscled and some fat but one thing was for sure, they were all much older, for he was only 17 and stronger than him. Baldric shakes in fear and thinks of the harm he is putting himself into.

This made Baldric wonder whether he had made the right decision…

ProtrainerEon

Ultimate Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    This was a pretty good first fic. You've got the potential, but punctuation is another story. Don't get me wrong, you did good, but there are a few things I'd like to bring up as a friend:

When different people talk, press enter/return twice to leave space, showing that it is another character's dialogue.

Separate paragraphs please.

Does this kid Baldric have any Pokemon, and if so, why would he not use them to help with the wood? Just curious...

His mom's moods are quite shifty, though I can tell she cares. Work on that a little more and the fic's quality will be even better than it is!

Tell us more about Baldric too. He's basically just...a main character right now. Fill him in with characteristics and facial features, please.

Well, this was a good read, especially for a first fanfic. I hope you will continue to improve through effort and constructive criticism. I guess I'll be going now!

P.S. Your writing style is great, but just give more description, spacing, and background knowledge of your characters and you'll be set! Don't forget to spell check too. Nice job!

Back