• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Lull

Breezy

Eee.
Years
  • Ohey, I finally caught PC up with the other sites I post this story on.

Hi! This chapter really needs warning, hopefully without me blurting out what's up ahead. The Lucas/Dawn scene in this chapter is … Let's just say I took full advantage of the PG-14 rating, specifically the sexual material/innuendo part. It's nothing super detail and doesn't go too far, but I know that stuff can make people uncomfortable, if not giggly with awkwardness. I promise it'll make sense once you get over that initial … bump (you'll know it when you see it, trust), especially if you hit puberty.

AND AFTER THAT, wear a helmet, ahoy! It's definitely the "violent imagery" part of the rating. Likewise, it's nothing too detailed but it can be upsetting. That or I'm really sensitive. Something. There is blood but nothing gory.

Oh, and it's more cuss happy than usual. Blame Eldritch. And Lucas.

Thanks for reading!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Fight or flee. When your life and the lives of others are on the line, your brain–or is it your gut?–gives you little time to process the situation before presenting these two options. In retrospect, the people who flee tell us they were able to weigh out the pros and cons before deciding to run. For example, some state that they are trained in first aid. Surely if they stayed, they could have gotten seriously injured, and what good will they be then? Others know when a fight is futile; I don't blame them for that. When you ask why the people who fight, well, fight, the most common answer is something like, "It felt like the right thing to do." People call them heroes. Or maybe they're morons. Lucky morons. Lucky, heroic morons.

I don't say this to insult others, the fleers or the fighters. What you do is up to you. I say it to sympathize with those who left me alone to fight when they knew I desperately needed help. I understand why now, but I'm still angry. I know I'll forgive them one day – I have to. It just might not be soon.

Behavior: Careful but quick to action when under threat. Often pries into dangerous or unwanted territory but with good intention. At times, forgetful. Smarter than she appears.

~ ~ ~
    Chapter Fourteen
    ~ ~ ~

He wasn't expecting her to still be awake, let alone awake and still dressed in her daytime clothes, sitting on the couch. Her legs were crossed at the knee, her right foot shaking, her sandal making a "THWACK THWACK" noise when it hit the back of her foot. The television wasn't on, and the only light on was the hanging lamp above the kitchen table. She wasn't distracted by the mundane right now; her sole focus was on her husband.

Alyson leaned back into the leather couch, raising her eyebrows for a second. She poked her tongue against the side of her cheek, her mouth partially opened. "Where were you?" she asked, forehead wrinkling.

"The pub," he muttered, stamping his shoes on the welcome rug outside before entering the quiet house. He closed the door behind him and locked it. "I needed a drink. It's only thirty minutes past one."

"Where were you this afternoon?" she specified, uncrossing her legs, pressing her thighs together tightly. She wrapped her fingers around her thighs and squeezed.

"I took Lucas and Dawn to Fullmoon." He shook off his coat and hung it around his arm. "You know the darkrai myth? They think – actually, I think it's only the girl. But, uh, they think that darkrai may have something to do with Lane's condition. Cresselia is darkrai's counterpart, and it is rumored she lives on that island, so ..."

She gave him a look of disbelief.

"Well, c'mon," he muttered. " At least it's a trail. I'm wary about it, too, but at least it's something."

"It's not that," she replied after a sharp exhale.

Eldritch strode across the room to sit in the armchair next to the couch, sitting at an angle so he could look into Alyson's face. He placed his coat next to him. He didn't respond.

"You don't remember what we were suppose to do this afternoon?" she said after a few seconds of silence.

He opened his mouth, front teeth scraping against his bottom lip as he let out a deep sigh.

"My appointment," she answered for him. "Remember now?"

Eldritch closed his eyes and gripped the arms of the chair, the leather crinkling underneath his grasp. A knot built up in his throat, and he tried to swallow it down, resulting in him producing a phlegm that he choked back down with a few coughs. He let out another deep breath. "I know."

"You knew?"

He nodded, and she began to yell. What the heck, Dan? You knew this was important to me – it should be important to both of us, but nooooo, you were too busy trying to be young and an adventurer. Our kid is in the hospital, Dan, and no one knows why, and you just go off on some little adventure? I mean, for Arceus' sake, we're not twenty anymore. We have a family now. I ask you for one little thing, and you can't do it? I need your help sometimes; I need your support. I can't ...

Alyson's voice grew higher in frequency and speed, and the original point of the argument–him walking in late, him getting drunk instead of meeting her at the hospital, whatever the fuck it was–merged with her weekly bitchery that listed all of Eldritch's problems. It would be so easy–at least in her opinion–if he followed her solutions. Everything, essentially, was his fault. And she was always right. ALWAYS (apparently).

"What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I'm sorry. I guess."

Alyson inhaled deeply, held it, and exhaled slowly. She looked down, a finger wrapping around a loose thread on her skirt. "That's it?" she murmured.

He leaned back in the armchair, hearing it groan under the pressure. "What else do you want me to say?"

Her eyes rolled to the side, staring at the empty kitchen rather than her husband. "I dunno," she said, staring at the fruit basket that stood as the center piece of the kitchen table. "I figure what's the point? One of us always has a problem with another, and the other one says they'll try to work on it, but we always end up here, you stumbling in like a drunk or me freaking out on Lane." She turned her head back toward her husband, not smiling but not angry either. "You don't get it, do you?"

Brown eyes flicked themselves up, staring at the ceiling fan that circulated air throughout the living room. "'I wish you were home more,'" he repeated. "'It's hard to be by myself. I miss you. I never see you anymore.'"

Her nose wrinkled. "You really don't get it. This isn't about you or me anymore."

"Yes, I've heard that before, too." He sighed. "'This is about our family–'"

"Stop. No." Alyson held an arm up and closed her eyes. "Look. You're a great father. You love your son, and the kid loves you so much. But do you even know him?" She crossed her arms. "I get it. You have to go out and work – you don't know when you're going to be called or how long you're going to be out at sea. I appreciate all you have to sacrifice in order to provide for us. It's just ... You being gone, sometimes without him knowing, is hard enough. He's not stupid – he knows we've been fighting. That's just making things worse."

Eldritch stared past Alyson's head and toward the hallway.

"I mean, he doesn't keep his door open because he's afraid of the dark, Eldritch. He's afraid that he might not hear you leaving. And when you are gone, he wants to know as soon as possible when you come through that front door. It kills me to see him like that."

"I wasn't expecting to be here." He couldn't look Aly in the eye. "Things happened too early, too fast. But I fucking try my best, Aly. I want to see him."

"But not ... me."

"Aly–"

"It's time one of us addressed the elephant in the room," she murmured, running her fingers up and down the leather cushion. "We're both ... different. Well, we were always different, but those differences used to work together so well. We both want vastly different things now. We're both in different places."

"Different," he mocked.

"Great time to be a wise-ass," she muttered.

"Sorry."

"I am, too." Alyson stood up and straightened out the wrinkles in her blouse, Eldritch's eyes following her. She put her hands on her hips. "You were always an adventurer, Eldritch, and nothing I can say or do will ever change that. It's why I love you and hate you at the same time." At this, she bit her lip and gazed at her husband uncomfortably. "I don't think this is working out. Do you?"

He paused, still sitting in the chair, his throat dry. He knew what she meant with this vague statement, but he didn't want to agree. He didn't want to beg, or fight, or yell, or cry, or ... anything. "I ..." His voice was hoarse and almost cracked as he saw tears begin to build in Alyson's eyes.

"I ... I feel like you're leaving us behind. I feel like we're holding you back." She wiped at her eyes, moistening her fingers. "That's how you feel ... isn't it?"

Tied down with wife and child ... Wasn't that the reason he became a sailor, to travel? To escape that? He knew that would bite him in the ass.

"He loves you so much, Dan. I just wish you were here more for him. And now that you're actually here for him, he's not even aware of it." She shook, head bowed down. Tears streamed down her cheeks, making strands of brown hair stick to her face.

"Aly." He stood up, but Alyson backed away, standing behind the couch. He wrung his hands together, legs shaking. "I love you. I really do."

"I know you do. And I love you, too." She looked up after sniffling loudly, her teary eyes strangely fierce and fiery. "But I really think we need to think about this. Like you said, things happened too fast, too early. I know this, and so do you. Life doesn't work out the way you hoped it would." She walked toward the hallway and stood at its entrance, gripping the corner where the two walls met.

"By the way," she added, not turning around. "I'm not pregnant." She released the wall from her grip before heading down the hallway.

He stood there, staring down the empty corridor.

"... Oh."

~ ~ ~​

The sound of a twig snapping in the forest awoke Lucas. His eyelids flicked open quickly, eyes straight up toward the night sky. His vision was hazy around the borders; it felt like he had just dropped to the ground after spinning in circles for a minute straight. He turned his head–god, why did his fucking head feel so heavy?–and glimpsed at Dawn. She was still curled up next to him, her mouth partially open as she breathed in and out softly. Her forehead was pressed up against his upper arm, one of her hands squashed under her head and the other pressed against her chest. Her legs were curled into her, her calves pressing against Lucas' thigh.

He tried to remain still, part so he wouldn't wake Dawn but mostly because he was sure something–someone–was out there, watching, waiting, and ready (to kill him, to bake pie, to knit sweaters, fill in your own verb-noun combination. Life is a list of Mad Libs). Pressing his entwined hands against his stomach, he listened intently. There, the crackling of a dying fire. Here comes the whistling sea breeze, sweeping through the trees. Hoot, went the watchful noctowl. More focus, Lucas. There's the sea, rolling back and forth across the shore in a lulling motion. Push, and pull, and push, and pull ...

Sleep, dear child. Close those pretty blues, lovely child. Let Mother Nature and her tender breath cool your hot brow. Think of your past, those delicious memories. Think of your mother. Remember when the two of you used to bake cookies for your class when you were younger? Remember how you loved licking the spoon that stirred the batter? Ah, my child, I see it. I see you smuggling chocolate chips into your pockets only to realize they melted later that night. Let me taste them. Give me a little lick, a small bite. I need this. I need you. I am not asking for much, sweet boy. I have nothing against you, dear boy. I just want a taste.

It's not like I'm going to KILL you or anything.

Lucas inhaled sharply, his eyes opening again. Another snap – the sound of a twig breaking in half, followed by hurried footsteps. It was this, the sound of crunching foliage, the scattering of feet, that finally made Lucas pull his hands out of the warmth of his sleeping bag, grab his pokéball belt with his left hand, and roll over on top of Dawn to grab the bucket of water, throwing its contents onto the remnants of the fire. Smoke spiraled up lazily from the pit.

This awoke Dawn who snorted then let out a few coughs. "What are you doing?" she hissed once she composed herself as Lucas placed the bucket back on the ground. She tried to roll onto her back, but Lucas' weight had pinned her down, his chest pressing against her arm. She managed to push her shoulders back, causing Lucas to lift himself up, his hands on both sides of her head. He pulled himself up onto his knees, the top half of the sleeping bag pressing against his lower back.

"I heard something earlier and it woke me up, I think," he whispered. "Actually, I'm not sure. That could have been a dream. But I heard it again." He curled his fingers, scraping dirt back into his palms. "You didn't hear it?"

"No ..." she said slowly as she rolled onto her back, staring him straight in the face. She pulled her arms out of the sleeping bag and let them rest above her head, bent at the elbow with her palms skyward.

"I threw the water on the fire just in case it was attracting wild pokémon," he explained as Dawn raised her right hand and lifted the brim of his beret. She ran her fingers softly down his cheek before wrapping them gently around the back of his neck. It sent shivers up his spine, whether it was from the cool touch or Dawn touching him period. She didn't seem to notice his nervousness, lowering her eyes so that all Lucas could see was the top of her eyelids and her long eyelashes.

Dawn started to rub the back of Lucas' neck in small, circular motions. "You look so tense," she said, fingers gliding down toward his left shoulder and squeezing it. Her other hand trailed down the front of his shirt, feeling his chest through the thin material. "Stop worrying. Nothing's out there. Relax." Her gaze shifted upward to peer into his bewildered face.

He had to focus, but it was hard to do so. He was butter under Dawn's fingertips, melting under the warmth of her touch, the intensity of her fiery gaze. Reality was in his left hand, the leather pokéball belt he was slowly losing his grip on the further Dawn massaged his shoulders. It was awkward–tenfold more than usual–with him hanging above her, elbows straight, knees to the side of her thighs, and her kind of just … lying there, eyes, bright blue, alight from the moon. Her hair was sprawled out across the pillow, messy, strands twisted and tangled together. He had the urge to stroke her hair and brush it off of her face; and he almost did so, releasing his belt from his grip, only to realize what he was doing. He thought quickly, playing it off like he had to scratch his nose.

Focus, he reminded himself, placing his hand back on the ground. For Arceus' sake, focus. Something might be nearby, and he needed to listen, not be attracted by Dawn's squirming body underneath him, the slight pout of her full lips, the power of her bright blues – FOCUS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you don't, you might die, and dying isn't good. (And if you die, you can no longer play Mad Libs.)

A cold wind, carrying the scent of the salty ocean, swept across his back and entered the forest, rustling the foliage with a pleasant clattering noise. It was a relief, this cold wind, not because Lucas was feeling uncomfortably hot but because cold, as he learned, was Dawn's weakness. He felt her hands start to weaken, her massage in slower rolls. For a few seconds, he thought he was in the clear as she pulled her hands away. She's retreating, was his thought, retreating into the warmth of the sleeping bag. Yes. He was going to win.

... Wait, why is that a good thing again? Dawn is ... decent looking, no? Plus she was comforting, admittedly, and he liked massages. (The blunt translation: You idiot, there's a hot chick underneath you that seemingly wants to do something. Are you five shades of stupid?)

Another noise sounded, this time from within the campsite. Something was unzipping – slowly, too, where it creaked and ticked. There, again: the sound of rustling, the movement of legs. There was another quick puff of wind, this time man-made. Dawn had thrown open the cover of the sleeping bag. His back was exposed to the wilderness, and it left him feeling – holyshitholyshitholyshit. Her leeeegs. Her legs wrapped around him, pulling him down roughly. His hips crashed into hers and hers immediately lurched up.

"Fuck ..." he breathed out.

She brought his face close by lacing her hands behind his head, crossing her legs at the knee. "Hi," she said sweetly, her breath hot on his clammy skin, before kissing him. It was gentle at first, her bottom lip snug between his, but he wanted more, and apparently so did she, so it got hotter and heavier. He licked her lips, urging, begging her to part those sweet lips, and she complied, her tongue meeting his and battling for dominance. Her legs wrapped around him tighter – god, she was so fucking hot right now, and he could tell she was just relishing in the attention he was giving her. He rolled them over in a wild tangle of limbs and hair so that she was on top of him. His arms wrapped around her lower back. She pulled away and looked down at him, hair draping around the sides of her face.

"Say it," she said, pulling off his hat to run her hands through his hair soothingly. She pressed her forehead against his, their lips brushing together. He felt his heart leap when she stared into him.

"No," he replied, squirming, legs shaking.

"Say it," she demanded again, gripping his hair tighter, which made him yelp. She loosened her grip a bit as she kissed him on the lips, then on the cheek, before sliding down to kiss him on the side of his neck. She stayed there, her head nuzzled in the crook of his neck, her forehead pressed against the side of his face. She flicked her tongue softly against the skin, once, twice, then there was a particularly sharp nibble–

"Daaa ..." he managed to choke out.

She lifted her head. "Say it," she ordered, an eyebrow raised. "All of it."

"No," he argued. "I'm not ... I'm not weak." He glared at the night sky, trying to avoid her gaze. "I'm not a little kid. You gotta do better than that."

She continued to lick and nibble at his neck softly, his breath getting caught in his throat before releasing itself in a low grumble. "Say it," she whispered into his ear seductively before gently biting his earlobe.

It took all of his willpower to stay calm, his body shaking. "No," he breathed out heavily.

She brought her head up and glowered. Her eyes were blinding and blue.

You stubborn brat. SAY IT.

"I told you." He grinned at something. Why he was feeling so goddamn smug all of a sudden, he didn't know. "Make me."

The girl smirked back. "I'll make you freaking scream it." She kissed him hard again, her legs wrapping around one of his, and grinding into his thigh, and he let out another audible groan through the kiss. Her tongue pushed its way through his lips and overtook him. Her hands released their grip from his hair and trailed down his chest, sending an icy hot sensation running through his veins and concentrating in a particular area below his waist. More unzipping sounded. She pulled away from the kiss, and he stared at her pleadingly as she brought her hand up, licked her fingertips, and brushed them against his lips before moving her hand back down, pushing back layers of denim, then cotton, then–

Another urgent cuss as her hot touch met something that was equally hot, his body lurching forward, and from his mouth he uttered:

"Daaarkrai."

"What?" asked Barry as he swallowed his mouthful of apple. Juice dribbled down the sides of his mouth. He wiped at it with the back of his hand and proceeded to wipe his now wet hand against the front of his pants. Barry threw the remaining apple core into a nearby metal garbage can. He swung his legs forward, gripping the fence tightly in his hands, staring at his worn-down sneakers.

"Huh?" Lucas replied, scratching the side of his nose. "I didn't say anything."

"I swear you did."

"I didn't say anything," he repeated.

"Right. Well, let's get on it then." Barry hopped off the fence, feet sinking into the snow. He flung one end of his scarf around his shoulder. "Why did we stop here again?"

Was it a little pathetic to say that he missed Barry? The kid was impatient and got distracted easily, but that's the reasons why the two of them worked so well together. They balanced each other out. Lucas was calm and quiet; Barry was eccentric and loud. Even with these differences, Barry was the only kid that really got him. They had been best friends since they were in grade school, for crying out loud. They started their journey on the same day, pretty much. They were both trainers, bound together by that simple fact, but it was more than that. Barry was pretty much his brother. (He couldn't figure out who was the older one. Lucas appeared to be the more mature one, and he was born a few months before Barry, but Barry was the one that gave Lucas advice, whether intentionally or not.)

He used this to his advantage, Barry's ability to get distracted by nearly anything, in order to stop time for a little bit. Literally, all he said was, "Holy crap, it's snowing!" and it dived into some snow war. Later, they got hungry and decided to eat apples Lucas had produced from his bag. Admittedly, it probably wasn't the best time to stop and get distracted – shit was going at the lake, and Rowan demanded them to get there ASAP.

Life had been giving Lucas the short end of the stick lately. Actually, it was more of a give-and-take situation. For everything good that happened in his life–new gym badge, new pokémon, what have you–something bad happened. He tried to avoid it, sure, but someone would drag him back down. Hell, he was only dropping by Canalave for a gym battle – he wasn't expecting to run into Rowan and that one girl that hung around him all the time. And he definitely wasn't expecting there to be a big explosion that set off a new series of events.

But here they were, somewhere cold. Lucas had to constantly move his fingers to make sure they didn't freeze over. He looked up; it was snowing lightly, adding to the already thick blanket on the ground. A flake landed on his nose, and he stared at it, going cross-eyed.

"Um, hello?" Barry waved a hand impatiently in front of Lucas's face, snapping him out of his thoughts. "Let's gooo already!" He ran ahead, leaving footprints in the snow, leaving Lucas far behind. He continued to watch Barry as he ran through a grove of pine tree. Lucas shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans and walked after him, following the trail of footprints.

A burst of flames came from the grove, and Barry and his infernape were sent skidding back, blasting up snow. Barry hit the fence posts hard, though Lucas could still see him moving, one of his hands rubbing the back of his head. The top of Infernape's head melted the snow surrounding them. The two of them stuck out against the white snow with Barry's white-and-orange striped shirt and Infernape's flames.

"Barry!" Lucas cried. "Are you okay?" He started to run over, one hand stretched out, but something locked around his legs and pulled him down. He fell onto his stomach, his arms spread out to his sides, and he felt them get locked down as well. He looked. Ropes had sprung from the ground and tied him down.

Where do you think you are going, child? You think you are in control here?

Lucas struggled against the bindings, but it was to no avail. All he could move was his head. "Barry!" he called out again before gritting his teeth. "I'm still here, Barry!"

He cannot hear you.

Barry let out a loud groan, running a hand through his blond locks, shaking out snow. He slowly got up, his pokémon following suit, and glared into the snowy thickets where a curvy woman with purple hair appeared.

"How silly," she said, heading toward the shaking Barry, her hips swinging as she walked. A skunktank followed after her, growling, her tail partially hiding her eyes. "I have no idea why you're here, child, but I sure as hell will make you regret it! Skunktank!" She snapped her fingers, and the pokémon jumped ahead of her. "Flamethrower!"

Barry, despite his efforts, had fallen back into the snow, kneeling with one hand pressed against his chest. With one eye twitching, he managed to pant out a command: "Dodge and Blaze Kick!"

The skunktank, while running and kicking up snow in her wake, opened her mouth. A jet of bright orange flames streamlined toward Infernape, but Barry's pokémon quickly jumped into the air, dodging the fire. His right foot was ablaze in flames as he descended toward the ground and his opponent. Skunktank had stopped in her tracks and looked up to watch the infernape fall.

"Poison Jab!" was her trainer's command. Skunktank raised herself onto her hind legs, her two forelegs glowing in purple energy.

The two attacks collided, and although the kick was enough to scorch the skunktank's fur, the power behind her Poison Jab was enough to throw Infernape off and toward the side in a heavy heap. The pokémon rolled over a few times, snow caking around him, before stopping, unmoving, the flames on his head retreating into his body.

"Infernape!" Barry managed to choke out before coughing up blood and phlegm, spitting it onto the ground. The blood sunk into the snow, but the red was still quite visible. Barry had dropped onto all fours, his head bowed down.

He had to try again, still struggling against his bounds. "Barry! She's coming!" Lucas shouted, his throat vibrating. His hands were frostbitten; it felt like thousands of tiny needles were poking at his fingers, but he didn't care, fighting and squirming and grabbing the snow in his hands. "Let me go!"

You brought this on yourself. No one asked you to come here.

The woman had returned her skunktank and walked toward Barry, not before giving his fallen infernape a kick to his stomach. This made both Barry and Lucas yell loudly. She seemed to get a thrill from their reaction, so she kicked the pokémon again.

"Stop it!" Lucas shouted.

You do not seem to get it, do you?

"Barry!" he cried out again. The woman was closer, inches away from his fallen friend.

Everyone needs to survive. This is what I do to survive. It is how I was designed. People think I bear ill will. No. I am simply trying to live. Not everything is pretty. Sometimes you have to do ugly things in order to survive. Everything is layered. Things are not simply bad or good.

I thought you of all people would understand that.

"No ..." Lucas felt tears well up in his eyes as the woman pulled a handgun from behind her back. The white sky made the metal gun glint. It was almost blinding to look at.

Perhaps I was wrong.

She squeezed the trigger, and he squeezed his eyes shut. There was a loud bang, and he heard a flocks of starly fly from the pine trees, chirping in fear.

It all started with starly. I know this well.

Lucas refused to open his eyes even though tears were squeezing their way past his eyelids and dropping into the snow.

I can take this away. All you have to do is say it.

He opened his eyes. Through his tears saw the dead form of his friend and the shades of red deepening the white snow. From his mouth he uttered:

"Darkrai."

"Hi!" said Lane with a smile.

"Lane?" Lucas asked, confusion in his eyes.

"Detective Lane," Lane corrected, lowering the brim of his tan hat over his eyes. He smirked as he strode down the supermarket aisle, his long trench coat trailing behind him. Around his shoulders was a black cape tattered at the end. "We're detectives!" he shouted, throwing both of his arms in the air as he walked. "We're doing detective stuff! Remember? WE'RE DETECTIVES!"

Lucas jogged to catch up with him, pushing up the sleeves of his own trench coat that was two sizes too big for some reason. "Why did you have to yell it?" he asked.

"WHY NOT!" Lane spun in circles, his cape swirling around him, and let out a loud laugh. His hand almost knocked over a bottle of dishwasher soap, so he quickly stopped and grabbed the bottle before it fell to the floor. "You remember the mission?"

"Someone's stealing the floor cleanser in aisle nine," Lucas replied, rubbing his chin. He cocked his own hat over his eyes and grinned. "But why?"

The two of them exited aisle eight, which was the dishwasher aisle apparently, and into the open space, standing next to a bunch of purple candles in boxes. The fluorescent lighting was dim; some bulbs were complete blacked out or cracked. Still, it gave enough light for Lucas to examine the dusty old market: the floors were stained with something red and sticky, and the shelves were close to bare (except for the heavily stocked dishwasher aisle, where there was so many brands of dishwasher soap that it took up two entire aisles). Lane and Lucas stepped forward and hid behind a few boxes of cereal as they peered down aisle nine. The only person down the aisle was an elderly woman standing near an empty cart. She was short, wearing tattered brown clothing. A hood covered her head, though straggly strands of brown hair poked out, like twigs.

"I think she's one of them," Lane whispered. The elderly woman, with her wrinkly hands, grabbed a large bottle of Mr. Mime Floor Cleanser™, and placed it in her cart. She grabbed another bottle of Mr. Mime Floor Cleanser™ and stacked it on top. "C'mon!"

Lucas nodded. "Excuse me, miss," he said as he took wide strides to walk down the aisle. Lane had to half run, half skip to keep up with him. The elderly woman looked up, her arms wrapped around a big bottle of Mr. Mime Floor Cleanser™. "Do you mind if I take that bottle? I need one, and you seem to have plenty." He made a grab for the bottle, but the woman pulled away. She raised her hood a little, her pink eyes glaring at the two detectives.

"I know who you two are," she said in a creaky voice, hands laced together in front of the bottle of the Mr. Mime Floor Cleanser™. Lucas noticed her nails, a pattern of pink, blue, and yellow. "And you both need to get out of here before it gets too late. Go home."

"Give me the bottle," he demanded. "Give me the bottle of Mr. Mime Floor Cleanser ... er, TM." He made another swipe for it, but the old lady pulled away. She threw the bottle in the cart, turned around, and proceeded to bonk Lucas on the head with a closed fist.

"Stupid child. Don't say I didn't warn you," she murmured as she wheeled the cart in the opposite direction. She turned the corner, leaving behind a dazed Lucas and a giggling Lane.

"She got you good," Lane said with a wide grin.

"I think she's using the bottles to smuggle out–"

"Shh!" Lane warned, pointing up to a purple cup on the upper shelf. "I think we're being listened on."

Lane was too short to reach the shelf where the cup was, so Lucas grabbed it, kneeling over a bit so Lane could hear, too. They both held their ears to the cup.

"There's two of them in the aisle this time," they heard the elderly woman say. "The bigger, uglier one tried to take one of my bottles."

Lane stifled his laughter as Lucas rolled his eyes to the side. He placed the cup back on the shelf.

"Come on. She couldn't have gotten far," Lane said, brushing past Lucas. "We can catch up!"

I see you have met this child before. When you dream, you sometimes dream of people you have not met but only seen. He is interesting. His imagination is vivid and light. He is not tainted. He has not the experiences that you, dear boy, have had. I tried to sustain my need off of his darker energy–his fears, his worries–but he has none. What he dreads is nothing unusual for someone of his age. But my search continues; I will find something that will feed me.

"Lucas!" Lane was at the end of the aisle, waving at him. "This way!"

You are trying to save him. Is that correct?

Lane had turned the corner by the time Lucas had taken off behind him, sneakers squeaking on the linoleum. His trench coat swished behind him.

I am sorry.

Lucas turned the corner and felt his breath get caught in his throat.

I cannot allow that to happen.

"Cyrus," he whispered, taking a few steps back as the older man advanced forward. Instinctively, Lucas reached for his belt, his hands roaming his side for his pokéballs. He couldn't find any. Alarmed, the boy took a few more steps backward before turning around fully and running for it. He turned his head. The Galactic leader, with his menacing stare, his furrowed brow, his mouth in a frown, ran – no, glided behind him.

He is MINE.

The walls of the supermarket somehow disappeared, and he was running up a steep incline, pebbles grinding beneath his feet before rolling down the hill. He almost tripped, his hand scraping the ground, but he quickly picked himself up, gasping for air. The land began to level out; the dirt path had turned itself into cobblestone. Tall, stone pillars surrounded him, though they weren't holding anything up. His foot kicked a rock, letting it skip across the cobblestone until it collided with a pillar.

The end: he had reached a cliff. Lucas turned around and backed into a pillar, pressing against it as if he would somehow sink into it. The wind had picked up, blowing wildly and loosening Lucas's scarf from around his neck. It twisted and turned in the air until it got stuck around another stone column. Cyrus had stopped gliding and was walking toward him slowly, hands behind his back. His eyes were shining in the daylight, a bright, icy blue.

"What do you want? You took everything from me already!" Lucas yelled above the whistling wind, gripping onto the pillar. "I'm as messed up as you!"

Cyrus said nothing, continuing to walk toward him. From behind his back he pulled out a red chain that glinted and glared in the sun; it was almost blinding to look at. When he approached Lucas, he swung the chain in front of his eyes.

Is this him?

Cyrus walked behind the pillar and grabbed Lucas's hands. Lucas heard something rattle and snap. He tried to pull his arms away but found that he couldn't. Cyrus had chained him to the pillar using the red chain he had sought to make for so long. Lucas turned his head; his pokémon were there, clinging onto his heavy torterra. Honchkrow was flapping his wings against the wind as his claws dug into the tree that sat on top of the beast's back. Magmortar had slammed his feet into the ground in order to keep himself from falling over in the heavy wind, though one of his claw cannons was pressed against Torterra's side. The flames on his shoulders and head danced wildly. And there was sweet baby Riolu grabbing onto Torterra's right foreleg, his eyes clenched shut. He was the smallest, of course, and the most apt to be blown away. Cyrus had noticed them.

This is he who causes you the most distress to you, correct?

"Get out of here!" Lucas's voice was hoarse; he had to swallow a few times to build up saliva.

Honchkrow was the first to leave, spreading his wings and allowing the wind to take hold of him. Magmortor was next. His claws transformed into cannons, and he blew a bright ball of orange energy into the ground, creating a hole and jumping into it. Torterra, the lazy daydreamer, refused to move, beady eyes staring into him. Riolu was still gripped tightly around his leg.

"Get out of here, Torterra!"

The torterra glared back.

"Forget me! Leave! That's an order!"

The torterra blinked rapidly a few times and lifted a heavy foot, making Riolu squeak and let go. The heavy beast slowly turned around and walked away, fading away into the dust.

I see you have nightmares about him.

Riolu fell flat on his rump, red eyes blinking back tears. He said his name a few times before wiping at his cheeks and scrambling onto his feet, dirtying his black paws. His ears peeled back. Riolu noticed Lucas's scarf tied around the pillar. He smiled, dashing over to it and pulling it free, wrapping it around his arms.

"Riolu," he begged, pulling at the chain, but the chain held fast. "Forget me. Leave."

But I am not sure that he is what you fear the most.

Riolu only grinned and held the scarf out. He began to totter toward him, walking on the balls of his feet. He stood at Lucas's shoes and held his arms out, trying to give back the article of clothing Lucas had worn throughout his journey.

"I ..." Lucas pulled at the chain again, still unable to free himself. Since Lucas didn't reach out toward him, Riolu wrapped the scarf around Lucas's right ankle and curled himself on top of his shoes, closing his eyes and sighing peacefully despite the situation. "Thank you, Riolu."

Cyrus is what made you think about it, yes, but he is not the cause of it. I know what you are afraid of. You try so hard to hide it. That only makes it easier for me to find.

Something sharp bit at Lucas's ankle and stayed there, making him yelp. He looked down, and Riolu wasn't there; instead there was something gray and shapeless. The being turned his eyes–blue, wide, and cold–toward him and grinned. Blood oozed out between the castform's teeth, and Lucas felt himself being drained of energy. His back slowly slid down the pillar, and his vision was starting to get misty. The gray being released himself from Lucas's leg as the boy's bottom reached the ground. Lucas breathed heavily, taking in the heavy dust that coated the insides of his mouth.

You are afraid of losing them, the only beings in this world that stayed by your side no matter what. You are afraid of what you have been trying to seek out ever since you became champion.

You think you want to be alone.

The castform had transformed itself back into Riolu's shape, though his mouth was still bloody. He smirked.

"You're not scared, are you?" the riolu-castform being asked tauntingly.

No, child. That is not correct at all.

Lucas shook his head, panting. The blood from the being's bite had pooled around his leg and was slowly creeping toward him. It took most of his energy to raise his head and look toward the cloudy sky. The clouds were moving fast, like time was passing at a high speed.

You are AFRAID of being alone.

"I'm not scared," Lucas said slowly. He coughed a few times; he saw specks of blood fly out with his saliva. He took in a few deep inhales of dusty air and exhaled once, loudly. Through his blurry vision, he saw Cyrus stand before him. He knelt to the ground so he could see eye-to-eye with the champion.

"I'm not fucking scared of you," he repeated firmly. "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT!"

You are going to regret that, you stupid child!

Cyrus' body contorted, twisted, and his mouth opened and peeled back until fire burst forth and a demon released itself, white wisps of smoke surrounding his shapeless body. It opened its mouth, revealing its jagged, sharp teeth before zooming in toward the restrained trainer.

~ ~ ~​

"Dream Eater!" she cried. "Again!"

Dawn's clefable fluttered her wings and raised both of her arms. Her eyes glowed a bright gold, and she brought her hands up. The energy traveled from her eyes to her hands and shot out, surrounding Lucas's head. It seemed to be working for a minute; the boy's distraught face started to relax and his limbs, pinned down by Dawn's hands and legs, stopped struggling against her hold. But then a black energy snapped back, crackling in the air and shooting back at the clefable, knocking her off her feet. Once more, the boy started to shake and murmur.

"Darkrai ..." he murmured through dry lips. "Darkraiii ... watching."

"Myth! Are you okay?" Dawn looked up worriedly from Lucas's shaking state to her pink pokémon. The clefable hopped back onto her feet and nodded firmly. She exhaled deeply, blowing up the curl on her forehead.

"Piiiip!" Dawn's piplup chirped frantically as he tried his best to restrain Lucas's flailing feet.

Dawn turned her head. "Oh, Pip. Myth, help him, please."

The clefable waddled over toward the penguin and pinned down Lucas's left foot with her hands as Pip used all of his weight to pin down the other foot. Dawn turned her attention back toward the boy beneath her, his arms pinned under her hands. His face went through a series of emotions, more than she had ever seen the boy expressed ever. Anger, happiness, sadness, confusion ...

"Lucas, wake up," she begged, collapsing on top of him and sobbing into his shoulder. "Please ... Please just wake up ..."

Something above her cried out, but she couldn't make heads-or-tails of what it was nor did she really care at the moment to try and distinguish it. Still, Dawn had pulled herself together and raised her head, staring into the night past the trees. There was another battle cry (this time, she could make out a flourished "Liaaa!" at the end), and she saw something overhead.

It was, dare she say, beautiful ... whatever it was, with the crescent moon as its backdrop. At first, she thought it was mesprit because of the pink, blue, and yellow color scheme, but the thing was too big to be mesprit, and this was one weird place for mesprit to be anyway. No, this thing was almost swan-like with long, slender features that curved together to form wings and a long neck connected to a pointed head. She didn't know; she couldn't really tell from down there. It seemed to be glowing, but Dawn figured that was a trick of the moon's eerie lighting. Something pink glinted. She figured that was the being's eyes. They were staring straight at her before resting on Lucas's body.

And like that, it took off, not before exclaiming another, "Liaaa!" Feathers. Lots of long feathers spiraled down toward Dawn, their bright colors visible in the moonlight. For a moment, everything was still except for these dancing feathers as they descended toward the campsite. Dawn felt her breath get caught in her throat as she watched them fall ever-so-gracefully, some getting caught in the tops of trees and some flying out toward the sea. Some of them managed to settle into their cozy campsite; a couple even fell on top of the sleeping bag. Dawn reached out and caught one with her hand. She observed it, holding it by the shaft. These were the same types of feathers she had collected earlier.

"Cresselia?" she questioned.

Her query went unanswered; no more battle cries echoed themselves through the trees, and no more feathers spun dizzily toward her. She sat up, looking toward Lucas, one hand still clutching the feather. Lucas groaned, and his eyes flickered open lazily.

Now, if this was one of Dawn's romantic fantasies, Lucas would have said something much more romantic. Something along the lines of, "Dawn, my love! Why are there tears in your eyes? Don't cry for me!" And he would sit up, wrap his arms around her and press his forehead lovingly against hers. But no. What was the first thing he uttered?

"Why are you sitting on me?"

She groaned. Lucas lifted his head but flinched and settled back down on the pillow. Dawn quickly scrambled off of him as Myth and Pip jumped off his legs and ran toward his head. The boy looked up toward the sky through half-opened eyes. Dawn could tell he was ready to crash again. She pulled the cover of the sleeping bag over the tired boy's body and sat next to him, legs curled underneath her. She ran a hand soothingly through his hair.

"Sleep," she whispered. The boy obeyed, closing his eyes. "I'm here. I'll take care of you. I promise."

Last edited:

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • He was in my dream. It's been a while since I last dreamed of him. I almost forgot I dreamed of him until she brought it up. It came back to me like heavy patches of rain, quick thunderstorms that are gone as soon as you spot them. You remember the lightning; you don't remember when it started raining.
    Enter the waterworks. No, I'm not going to cry. But I feel like I should continue the water analogy.

It's weird.
    She read it. But I'm not mad.

Call it growing. Yes, me, growing. I was more surprised that I wasn't mad at her than being mad at her because she gets me mad over such stupid, trivial things. But this time I'm not mad. I think that's a good thing. I'm not sure if it's because I trust her more or because I trust myself more. Maybe it's both.
    Oh, the tangled web we weave. I don't know what I mean by that. I am rambling now. Letting it flow. Letting it free. Free as a bird.
    My mom told me to do that. She told me to let it go.
    I'm trying.
    Not there yet.
    Going to stop rambling now. Going to stop writing in incomplete sentences now.

Current position: Sitting and staring

~ ~ ~
    Chapter Fifteen
    ~ ~ ~

Hello, Mrs. Eldritch! My mom told me to bring you these!"

Julie pushed a plate of chocolate chip cookies covered in translucent green saran wrap into Mrs. Eldritch's startled arms. She smiled widely, cheeks scrunching up, lips pulling tightly upward, and nostrils flaring. She couldn't help but stare enviously at the plate. She helped Mom bake these last night, but the entire batch was for Lane's family. The smell of baked goods was just too intoxicating.

Mrs. Eldritch played with the plastic covering with her thumb and pointer finger, pressing it tighter against the back of the ceramic plate. "Uh, thank you, Julie," she replied slowly, uncertainly. She shifted the plate and balanced it on the flat of one hand, freeing her other hand so she could brush her bangs to the side. "Are you here to see Lane today?" She looked back at Francis for a quick second before returning her attention to Julie.

Julie nodded. "We won't be long," she said. "Me and Francis gotta go to the beach for our science project. It's on shells. Lane was in our group but–" She zipped her mouth shut when she noticed the grimace on Mrs. Eldritch's face.

"Nice one," whispered Francis into her ear. Julie suppressed her desire to jab Francis's gut with her elbow.

Mrs. Eldritch wiped at the bottom lid of her eye and rubbed at the corners. She tried to discreetly hide her sniffle by clearing her throat, but Julie knew better.

"Well, go ahead," Mrs. Eldritch said, heels clicking on the linoleum as she walked over to the nightstand and placed the plate of cookies next to a vase of dying, drooping flowers. "I need to run down to the lobby and make a phone call. Take your time, kids." She gave them a watery smile before walking past them and darting down the hallway, one hand pulling out the slim cellphone she kept in the back pocket of her jeans.

Francis waited until he couldn't hear Mrs. Eldritch's scurried feet. "Good job, Julie. You made her cry."

"Did not!" she protested. She spun around on the balls of her feet, her long pigtails whipping around her head, and glared at the smug boy. "She was crying before she got here. Her eyes were already red and stuff. Don't get all defensive over your girlfriend."

It amused her how Francis's face flushed through three shades of red at what she said. "You're ... g-gross, Julie!" he finally stuttered out.

Julie poked him in the gut much to his annoyance. "Whatever, Flan-Flan. I see how you look at her." She smirked, her eyes alight with amusement. "You like Lane's mo-om, you like Lane's mo-om!" she sang.

Francis clutched the white poster in his right hand, bending one of its corners in his grip. "Shut up! Do not! He'll hear you!" he argued. "And stop calling me that!"

"Sheesh. So defensive," she teased again. She stuck her tongue out at Francis blew a raspberry at her. "Anyway ..."

Julie and Francis focused their attention on the hospital bed in front of them. The bed had metal railings, and the sheets were stiff and white. The ends that hung over the side fluttered whenever the salty air blew through the room from the open window. Julie, with her hands clasped together in front of her, stared at Lane's sleeping form. He looked so peaceful, his chest rising and falling slowly. His big ole ears were sticking out past his hair like always. Poor elf, she thought.

"He's still alive, right?" Francis murmured. She heard him take a step forward; the bottom corner of the poster dug into the back of her left calve.

She wondered that herself. Lane looked just too peaceful, and if the sleeping boy didn't let out a mix of a grunt and gargle from his open mouth, she would have assumed he was dead, too. Julie took a few tentative steps forward herself, standing next to the heart monitor hooked up to Lane's body. She turned her head, watching the green line make mountains out of plateaus.

Her eyes flicked back over toward Lane as she slowly walked over and knelt on the wooden stool next to his bed. He was wearing a white shirt today, his arms to his side and outside the sheets. His fingernails were long and dirty. She couldn't help but notice all the scratch marks on his forearms; Lane always got a bruise or scrape or cut whenever they went out to play. She looked at his eyes – well, eyelids. They were closed, of course. He had long eyelashes, thick and black and slightly curled. Like a baby doll, she thought. She reached out and brushed the hair off Lane's forehead like she would her dolls and was surprised at how hot Lane's skin was. It was sweaty almost. She didn't know why.

"He has such a flat nose," she commented as Francis walked over and stood next to her, pressing the poster between his stomach and the metal railing. "I ..." Julie reached over and tugged lightly on Lane's left earlobe. Francis stared at her, bewildered.

"I ... I always wanted to," she said quietly.

"Issues, Julie, you have them," he muttered back. Francis pulled his foot back, his sneaker squeaking on the floor, and leaned his weight against the bar. Something creaked from the pressure. His hair caught the sun, making his blond locks look transparent. "Well ... now what?"

Julie heard the joints in her knees crack as she rocked back and forth on the stool. Her hands tugged at the bottom of her pigtails before she wrapped them around her pointer fingers. "Teacher said we should talk to him like he was awake," she remarked, scrolling her eyes to the top of the ceiling. "Except, you know, he won't really respond and all. She says we should keep him up on everything that has been going on."

Francis nodded. "Right." He grinned. "Guess what, Dumbo! Julie got hit in the face with a ball when we played dodge ball two days ago!"

Julie gaped then added, "Well, Flan-Flan peed on himself yesterday!"

"I told you! The water fountain messed up and got my pants wet!"

"Right. Directly in one circular spot. Right."

"It was the water fountain!"

"Is that what they call 'peeing your pants' now?" Julie smiled at the growl emitted from Francis's throat. She motioned toward the poster, and Francis pulled it up, handing it to her. She held it up, peeking around the sides. "Class made this for you, Laney," she said cheerfully. "See? It says, 'Get well soon!' Sarah G. wrote the block letters, and everyone else wrote their own little message around it." She reached over and pointed at a message written in a red heart. "I wrote this one! I'll let you read it later when you wake up."

Francis stuck his finger down his throat and mock gagged as Julie continued. "Class misses you, Laney. We had an assembly three days ago, and the entire class thought how funny it would have been if you ran down the aisles making fart noises with your hands like last time." She lowered the poster and stared at Lane sadly. She felt her stomach start to twist and knot, a salty saliva building up that was painful to swallow back down. "Please get well soon."

"Yeah, Lane. Class ain't the same without me and you pokin' fun at Ms. Hall. And without you, Julie always knows it's me pulling on her pigtails."

"So that was you," she said quietly. She shook her head, her pigtails whipping her in the face. "But yeah, Laney. We ... miss you. Everyone does." She felt her legs started to shake, so she lowered herself, propping the poster against the stool. It felt like her organs were on overdrive; her stomach was crazily churning like she hadn't eaten in hours and her heart felt like it was going to thump, thump, thump out of her ribcage.

Julie met Lane like all of her classmates did: in class, years ago, when they were little. Classmates changed, as did teachers, but she and Lane were always in the same class. They were only five at the time, but she knew when she looked at his big, ole elf ears, messy hair, and goofy smile that she and him were going to be best friends. He used to chase her around the playground with a handful of earthworms, part because he was teasing and part because they were "so cool, Julie!" but the older they got, the more it reversed. She had no idea why. It wasn't like she was chasing him with a handful of earthworms or anything. She just wanted to play "house" is all.

She missed Laney. Laney is such a funny, funny boy, and he knows how to make her smile even when she's feeling so, so blue. Laney was infamous at school; he was that boy last year that refused to come off the stage during last year's spelling bee, stating that he was protesting the unfairness of spelling. "When would you ever need to spell 'rainbow'?" he argued.

He got a week's detention for that.

A year and a half ago, he hid underneath the jungle gym. It caused school wide panic because no one knew where he was for hours except her and Flan-Flan, but they kept their mouths shut because it was sort of funny. When they found him, he was covered in chocolate, and muffin wrappers were scattered around him. Apparently he crept into the lunchroom, grabbed a bunch of chocolate muffins from the cafeteria, and chowed down.

That was detention for two weeks, plus a parent-principal meeting.

A few months ago he tried to start a fad that consisted of wearing your clothes backward. (It came to a point that he wore sunglasses behind his head to see if he could trick people – and he did. He managed to fool the almost blind, always preoccupied Ms. Kutcher who was retiring this year. No one could figure out if she was really tricked or decided to play along. She did adore Lane.) He didn't get in trouble, but it went on his permanent record nonetheless.

What was especially memorable in her mind was half a year ago when he came up to her wearing a black button-up that was one size too big and dress pants that were one size too small, and his hair was combed down and gelled for once. It was spring, and it was wet and smelled of rain. She was wearing a black sleeveless dress with a flower in her hair (a white orchid because that was her mom's favorite). He came up to her and held her hand. She hadn't held his hand in a while; in fact, the last time was when they played "house" and they were husband and wife.

"Mom said you might need me," he said. He smiled, frowned, then smiled again, like he wasn't sure what face he should wear. "She says you'll be sad, and I don't like seeing my friends sad. She says you'll be sad for a long, long time."

She remembered gripping his hand tightly, and he squeezed her fingers back. "I miss her," she trembled out, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her legs were shaking; she swore she heard her bones rattle, like a stick against a picket fence. "I'm scared."

"I think that's okay," he replied. He held up his other hand that was clutching a dragonite plushie by the wing. "You can have Dragonite. Dad gave him to me when I was little. When I miss Dad, I talk to him and I feel better. Maybe he'll help you when you start missing your mom."

She took the stuffed toy with her free hand and pressed it against her body. The warm material felt good against her cold arms. "You're letting me have him?"

He nodded with a smile. He looked at what Julie was staring at earlier, a frame holding a picture of a woman with thick, brown hair and green, determined eyes. "Is this your mom?" he asked, blue eyes wide.

She nodded this time.

"You look like her," he said as he swung their hands back and forth. "She's pretty."

Tears rolled down her cheeks. She wasn't sure what she was crying for. She quickly wiped them away before Francis noticed.

"The uh ..." she heard Francis start, "the trainer's license test is coming up, Dumbo. We're preparing for it now in battle studies."

Laney was always excited whenever the trainer's license test was brought up – everyone was, really, but he freaked the freak out whenever Ms. Hall brought it up. That test was one step closer to being a pokémon trainer, and being a pokémon trainer was one step closer to leaving this smelly city and adventuring to ... goodness, wherever you wanted, really. Everyone in class had their own ideas of what type of trainer they wanted to be–coordinator, gym apprentice, ace trainer, bug catcher, whatever–but Lane was different.

"Dragon tamer," was his reply to the famous question. "Like Lance."

They tell him that being a dragon tamer is difficult. Finding a dragon type is hard, let alone catching one, and dragon-type apprenticeships are challenging programs to get into if you wanted to receive a dragon pokémon. They ask him what his backup is.

"I don't have one," he would say. "There's only one choice for me."

She turned her head and watched Francis fidget with a loose string on his t-shirt. "We haven't gotten that far in it," he said, his head lowered, "but I figure you'd wanna be there. I mean, it's all stuff we already know so far. So it's not like you're missing stuff."

A groan caught their attention. Julie snapped her head back to Lane and saw Lane's face screw up, nose wrinkling, upper lip curling. "Daaaark ..." he whispered. The muscles in his face relaxed.

It, this one-worded whisper, was ominous, sending a sensation of cactus needles pricking her along her spine. She reached out and ran a finger against Lane's forehead again, flicking up the bangs that stuck to it. He was definitely sweaty now, and she wasn't sure if it was the lighting but he looked paler. Julie brought her hand back and wiped her finger against her shorts. "Do you think ..." she began, trying to phrase her question properly, "do you think he's ... dreaming?" She turned her head where Francis stood only to find the spot empty. "Flan-Flan?"

Crunch. Julie quickly turned her head in the other direction and saw Francis munching on the cookies she brought for Lane's family. "Flan-Flan, that's for Laney!"

Francis took another huge bite from the chocolate chip cookie he held in his greedy hands, using his tongue to lick up the crumbs around his mouth. "It's not like he'll notice one cookie gone," he said, his mouth filled with balled up pieces of chewed food. He rolled his eyes and threw the rest of the cookie in his mouth, quickly chewing and swallowing it. "And I don't know. If he's asleep, probably. Can you even dream for that long?"

"I wonder what he's dreaming about," she said thoughtfully.

"What do elves usually dream about? The rush before Christmas?"

"Oh, shut up," she said angrily.

"Sheesh. Just kidding. Relax." Francis took his place next to Julie again. She watched as he reached into the pockets of his jeans and pulled out a rectangular piece of hard paper, slipping it underneath Lane's hand. It was the metallic dragonite card Francis got six days ago. "Here, Lane. Since you did do that dare–sort of–I guess you deserve it."

"How nice of you," Julie murmured. "I mean that."

"Yeah. Now wake up already."

~ ~ ~​

Fuck.

He woke up, panicked. He couldn't feel his arms, couldn't move his legs. It was tough enough to wiggle his fingers back and forth; it felt like needles were prodding the tips. His breathing was shallow, his heart beating rapidly. He tried to lift his head; he found that he couldn't do it easily. He tried to wiggle his toes. They were cold within his socks, but at least he could move something. He gnashed his teeth in frustration.

He tried to say her name but found his throat dry and unable to let anything out besides a huff. Luckily, this caught her attention, and she scrambled over from the fire pit on her knees. She reached over toward her bag and grabbed a bottle of water from the side pocket before propping his head up on the top of her thighs, unscrewing the top of the bottle and letting water trickle slowly down his throat. The water felt so refreshing, so cool, that it felt like it was burning his insides. As he felt the water hit his stomach, he felt his limbs come back to life slowly but surely; the needle sensations were fading away, and while his muscles were still aching, he could at least move them more than an inch.

She pressed her hand lightly against her forehead and brushed it back through his hair. "How are you feeling?" she asked quietly.

He cleared his throat before replying, "Shitty. The sunlight ..." He wanted to say more, ask why he was feeling this way (did he sleepwalk through an adventure?), at least finish his sentence, but he was too breathless to continue.

Dawn looked up where the sunlight was streaming through the foliage, leaving striped patterns on the dirt floor below. She moved so that her head was blocking the light, casting Lucas's face in shadow. "Better?" she asked, placing the water bottle back on the floor.

He nodded slowly, the back of his head still aching.

"Good." Dawn reached over Lucas's head and straightened out the cover of his sleeping bag. "You slept for so long," she remarked, sitting back up. "It's noon. I called Eldritch on your phone. I hope you don't mind. I think it's better if we get off this island as soon as possible so we can get you help."

"No," he protested, trying to sit up, but a jolt of pain ricocheted up and down his back. He fell back down, his head falling on top of Dawn's thighs.

"Yes," she said, her eyes filled with worry. "Look at you. You can barely move. Besides, I couldn't reach Eldritch. I left a voice mail at nine, but he hasn't called me back yet."

"We haven't found anything yet." His voice cracked. He closed his eyes, brow furrowed. "We haven't found anything."

"You need help," she repeated. She gently placed Lucas's head back on the pillow and scurried to sit by his side instead of behind him, kicking up dirt and diluting the air around them with a brown dust. "You had a rough night."

Lucas opened his heavy eyelids, even though they were aching to be closed, and stared into the noon sky, a light blue dotted with heavy, white clouds. Even if he could barely move, his other senses were alive and kicking. He could hear the rolling of the sea, the screeches of the wingull. He could smell salt, the scent of wet grass, undistinguished plant life. "Last night ..." he murmured. "What happened last night?"

Dawn tucked a rogue strand of hair behind her ear. "You don't remember anything?"

It pained him to shake his head, so he uttered, "No."

Dawn sighed and kicked her legs out so she wasn't kneeling anymore, though the action coated her legs with dirt. She leaned back on her hands and stared up into the sky, watching the clouds slowly pass by. "Darkrai got you," she said.

What?

"What?" he asked incredulously. "What do you mean he got me?"

"I woke up last night. You were kicking around and shaking. That's probably why your body hurts so much. I thought you were just having a bad nightmare, so I tried to wake you up but you just ... wouldn't wake up." At this, she seemed to have drifted off, her eyes cast over. She shook her head and turned to face Lucas's bewildered face. "Then you started thrashing, and you kept muttering, 'Darkrai.' I had ... I had to pin"–she lifted her arms and stretched them out in front of her, fingers spread and squirming–"your arms and legs down so you wouldn't hurt yourself, and I kept trying to wake you up, but you just wouldn't and ..."

He noticed how shaky her voice got, tears on the verge. Using all his willpower, Lucas pulled his arms out of the covers, pressed his palms against the flannel lining of his sleeping bag, and slowly pushed himself up. His head was absolutely throbbing (it felt like it was pulsating energy) but he ignored this sensation, kicked down the butterfree in his stomach, and pulled Dawn into a hug. His nose pressed against the side of her neck. He smelled her hair; it smelled sweet, like watermelon, but had that metallic kiss the sun left when someone was outside for hours at a time. He felt her arms wrap around his aching back as she pressed her forehead against his shoulder.

"I ... I didn't know what to do," he heard her say even though her voice was muffled by his shirt and her long layers of hair. She pulled her head up, pressing her chin against the side of his neck. Her breath was hot on his skin. "I was scared for you. I thought you were gone."

"But I'm not," he added. "So something else happened, right?"

It kind of surprised him that she was the first to pull away from their embrace. Dawn wiped her cheeks then wiped her fingers on her skirt. "Yeah," she said. "Yeah. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I thought of using Myth. She knows Dream Eater, and I was getting desperate, so I asked her to use it. I knew it was dangerous but–"

"Myth?" he interrupted.

"My clefable," she confirmed.

"You used a pokémon named ... Myth to try and help me?"

She nodded.

He had to pause to let that information seep into his brain. A clefable named Myth tried to save you. A pokémon named Myth tried to save you. Myth tried to save you. Myth tried to save you. (The keyword in making him feel better was the word "tried" but it's still ... god, what's the word?)

"There's a word for this," he said out loud, pressing a hand against the side of his head. "I'm just not sure what."

Dawn let out a small laugh, twirling a finger around a long blade of grass. "Yeah, well. Tried. On one of her attempts, something shot back at her and knocked her off her feet, and I decided it was too dangerous for her."

"But not for me."

"I knew your hard head could take it." She grinned, tugging at the blade and pulling it out of the ground. She folded the blade in half and rolled it back and forth between her fingers. "And it did. Anyway, a minute after I called her back, something flew overhead, stopped, and like that"–she snapped her fingers–"it disappeared." She nodded her head toward the fire pit. "See all these feathers? Whatever it was released them when it flew off."

Lucas took a look at the open campsite. Bordered by the thick, gnarled trunks of olive trees on all sides (and probably some other trees that Lucas couldn't identify off the top of his head), the campsite was a haven, blocking the heavy sea winds and the ocean and its unpredictable waves. The ground was hard, yet the dirt was easy to kick up and knock into your shoes, and the grass was long, spiky, and sticky. He had been in worse. In his dazed state, he made out the feathers that decorated the area, caught in the brush and littering the ground like tired confetti. Most of them were dirty, browned with the dirt, but he could make out the dim blues, pinks, and yellows. He caught on quickly.

"Cresselia?" he asked.

"I think. Like I said, it was gone as soon as it came, but the feathers match her colors, no? When the feathers fell, swirling, twirling, glowing under the light of the moon in a hazy, hazy dream like a soft rain–"

"Can you stop speaking like you're writing fan fiction?"

"–you calmed down," she finished, glaring at the boy. "You stopped shaking and murmuring about darkrai and stuff, and you woke up."

"I did?" He scratched the side of his nose. "I don't remember."

"Mhm!" She nodded, beaming. "You told me you were worried for me because you saw me crying."

He racked his brain, trying to remember. "Wait. No, I didn't. I asked why you were sitting on me. Good try, though."

She sighed, curling her right leg up so her knee was in the air. "A girl can try, no?" Dawn winked at him as he rolled his eyes. "But after that, you fell back asleep, and I watched over you. I figured you were just sleeping a regular sleep since you didn't murmur or freak the heckles out anymore. Jump nine hours into the future and here we are."

Lucas focused his attention on the girl. God, she looked tired. It was kind of eerie, actually, with how heavy the bags under her eyes were and how messy her usually straight, glossy hair was. He recognized it. She was doing the girl version of what he did to demonstrate that he wasn't tired. He saw how she tried to fight back these signs by applying makeup on her cheeks and under her eyes and constantly fussing with her hair by pulling it over her shoulders, then throwing it behind her shoulders, then pulling it over her shoulders, then throwing it back. Her hat was pulled lower than usual, probably containing tangled strands that she couldn't brush out without the help of a comb. Her clothes were dirty. Despite how much of a hot mess she looked, she tried to combat it by putting on a tired smile and widening her usually gleaming blue eyes, putting on an appearance of looking awake. She reminded him of him, and he felt bad. Sort of.

"You didn't ... you didn't stay up the entire night, did you?" he had to ask, feeling the urge to nervously fidget with the brim of his beret. When he reached up, he realized he didn't have it on and went on panic mode to find it, his body protesting against the sudden twists. He found it placed near his open backpack.

His open backpack.

His open backpack.

As he reached over, his joints screaming, and grabbed his hat, throwing it on his head, Dawn answered, "Sort of. I caught a few moments of sleep here and there, and I slept between six and eight, but for the most part I watched you. Worried, you know." She smiled, but it soon faded away from something genuine to something alarmed when Lucas reached for his backpack, looked at its contents, snapped his head to the left, and noticed the red cover of his notebook sitting so neatly besides her bag. She exhaled nervously, upper lip curling slightly.

Whatever he felt for Dawn less than a minute ago was soon replaced with ... nothing. Nothing. He felt nothing. Nothing toward her, anyway. He felt more nervous for himself than anything. "You ... you read my notebook?" he said slowly, confusingly, alarmingly. He felt tempted to crawl over, grab it, and pull it back into the safety of his arms, but his legs were still too numb to move. So he stared at it, the cover bright under the glare of the sun, willing it to fly back toward him. But even if his head was radiating some unknown energy, apparently this energy was not telekinetic. His notebook–his records, his life, his data, his personal thought for crying out loud–was out there, exposed to nature, exposed to public, exposed to ... her.

"I ..." He watched as her face clenched, eyes narrowing, cheeks scrunching up, brow wrinkling, like she was staring directly into a fire (for all intents and purposes, and because today he felt like making fun of fan fiction, let's say he, too, was fire–rather, a metaphor for it–hot, and glowing, and sort of smelly, and the creator of destruction but the bringer of new life, and, at times, random, because, well, who decided to drop a random thought in the middle of someone else's dialogue here? Only certain fan fiction authors). "I ... I don't know what to say," she said.

"That's a first." He snorted.

"I didn't read a lot," she argued. "I only tried to read what I wanted to figure out about you."

"What?" He tried to keep his tone flat, tried to slow down his beating heart. "Team Galactic? Cyrus? My childhood?"

"Kind of." She crawled over to her bag, dirtying her knees, and swiped the notebook from the ground. She brought it back to him where he greedily grabbed it and placed it on his lap, pinning the cover shut between his fingers.

"Then what?"

She took his flat tone as aggression and turned her head, looking at the twisted trunks instead of his face. "Barry," she addressed the trees.

Barry?

"Barry?" he repeated out loud.

"Like ... I know you don't want to talk about Cyrus, or Team Galactic, or even your championship, and I can respect that because I know those were really difficult moments in your life." Dawn bowed her head, drawing swirls in the dirt. "But when I asked about Barry a few days ago, you seemed eager to talk about him, but then you sort of ... cut off and changed the subject."

It dawned on him that he dreamed of Barry.

"And he was your friend, yeah?"

Barry died in his dream.

"So ... yeah."

And he didn't do anything.

"Lucas?"

He couldn't do anything.

"Lucas?"

What was he supposed to do?

"LUCAS?"

"What?" he finally snapped, startling Dawn. He felt bad immediately after, bringing up a hand and wiping at the back of his neck, trying to ignore the jabs of pain that ran up and down and pricked up the hairs on his arm. "Sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. I had no right to read your notebook. I shouldn't have. If it helps, I didn't read anything past the first few pages, and all you talked about was what you were having for lunch or dinner for the most part. It's just ..." She paused and slowly turned her head to face Lucas again, wary. "He was your closest friend. You two looked so close, but it feels like ... like you're not friends anymore. And that makes me sad. Is that true? Are you not friends anymore?"

Lucas had written pages upon pages about Barry; Dawn hadn't looked far enough. He tried to reason it out, tried to logically draw conclusions, tried to piece together information, and he understood to an extent, but it still hurt nonetheless. He had to keep reminding himself that he understood, that it was for the best, that being friends with him–and let's keep that vague–would eventually shred them apart like tissue paper in a tornado, but it still angered him. Fucking dammit.

Betrayed isn't the right word; Lucas didn't feel betrayed. He understood. He understood. God, he understood. It bothered him that he understood. He didn't understand a lot of things, but he was sure of this one thing, and that mere fact was what drove him crazy because Barry ... Barry was the one that was supposed to say, "Fuck it," and stick around because that's Barry. Barry plays by his own rules, his own time, his own beat of the drum. Since when did he obey what other people told him to do? Especially Lucas. Especially shy, little Lucas with a scarf too long that the ends dragged on the floor and who relied on Barry when they were younger to talk to the shop clerk. He had only seen Barry bewildered three times in his life: once when Rowan let him keep his chimchar, another when Lake Valor blew up, and the other when Lucas told him that it would be better if they parted ways for a while. Barry's eyes were wide, and bright, and gold, and confused as Lucas said this, and Lucas's were hardened into cold, blue stones by then, and Barry, no, Barry looked anything but hurt. He understood, too, and fuck he hated that he understood, because they were supposed to be friends. That's what it said in the time capsule they buried when they were nine years-old, that even when shit hit the fan (or whatever the nine year-old equivalent of that word is) they would stick together. Because that's what friends do.

But he understood. Things are better that way. Lucas is good at taking hits–he's a durable guy and all according to Arceus knows how many people–and he would take the hits so his friend wouldn't have to suffer anymore. Barry didn't deserve what happened to him. Barry told him that he grew from his experience after that fateful day when Lake Valor blew up and he fought the bitch, but he knew the kid was having nightmares from it. He would take the hits for everyone, even if he hated it, because he hated seeing anyone suffer. That's him. That's Lucas. He's that guy. That guy with the vengeance against Team Galactic. That guy who would one day take down Cynthia's long run as champion. That guy who is so responsible, so determined, and smart, and brilliant, and strong-willed, and repetitive, and, at times, random (because here we are again, breaking dialogue with another person to spill into an emotional mess of emotion) that he would do anything, even flatten mountains if someone requested it, because he hated disappointing others, especially himself. And shit he'd be damned if he brought his desires, his lust for pleasing, onto someone else's shoulders, even if it meant sacrificing one of the few things that made him happy.

"We're ... something," he muttered, "but I don't know what that means."

"When was the last you talked to him?"

"Years." Lucas placed his notebook on his belly and collapsed back on top of his sleeping bag, letting his bones creak and relax. He wiggled his fingers on the fabric, touching the balls of cotton. "Years," he repeated. "I hear about him, and I guess he hears about me too, but we haven't talked in a while." The sleeping bag was absorbing the sun, so he kicked off the cover and let the sun bleed into his jeans, his socks, his shirt, his self. He squinted.

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because why?"

"Because I said."

"You should contact him again," she said so simply. Oh, if only it were that simple.

"Maybe."

"Do you miss him?"

"Sometimes."

"You were close to him, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"So, yeah! Contact him again! Maybe he'll remember me. Maybe all three of us can hang out."

Barry called him after the Lake Valor scandal and before their fall out, asked if he had Dawn's number because she was "seriously cute." He told him he didn't. He really did, but he kept it to himself. He didn't know why.

"Maybe," he said.

Dawn curled her legs into her body and hugged her legs against her chest. She rested her chin on top of her dry knees. "So what is it?" she tried to pry again. "You just drifted apart?"

"Okay," he said.

"Okay what?"

"Okay to your question."

"Okay ..."

"Okay."

He could tell she was annoyed with his vagueness, and it wasn't like he was trying to purposely annoy her or purposely be vague, but it is what it is. That's it. They were vague. Barry and him were just not close anymore, bordering between strangers and acquaintances, because that is for the best, that is what is good for the both of them, that is how Barry can achieve his goals and Lucas his, undisturbed and having one less thing to worry about. That is, he deemed, sacrifice.

(Months ago, he felt selfish–the exact opposite of sacrifice–by giving up this close friendship just so he wouldn't bring Barry pain, humiliation, or whatever. After all, friendship takes two people, but he had to dismiss those thoughts. Barry is better off without him. Everyone is. No, he didn't mean it in a depressing sort of way, a cry for attention because, really, everyone is better off leaving him to clean up other people's messes. He just hated seeing Barry, anyone really, in pain, be hurt, even if they do find some good in it. He stated once he worked better alone, and it's true. The less people he had to worry about, the better. It worked the same for the friends who wouldn't be hit by the misfire of his responsibilities. Barry understood this, though, because that's what friends do: they understand and they stick together through these understandings, and he, too, was willing to sacrifice. Let's keep it vague. Hims and hers are vague. Names make things more real.)

"I couldn't help myself," she began. "I was really curious. I hope you're not mad at me. I won't read it again."

He wasn't.

"I'm not," he said. "I understand."

Understanding is what friends do.

Let's keep it vague. Let's keep "it" vague.

She turned her head and gave him one of those smiles that made his stomach churn like he was hungry. Or maybe he really was hungry. It had been hours since his last meal. Something vibrated next to his leg. His phone. He ignored it.

"Did you dream?" she asked.

"What?"

"Did you dream?"

Barry died in his dream.

"Why?" he asked.

"It is rumored that darkrai sustains energy that comes off nightmares. So did you dream?"

Yes.

"Probably," he answered.

"Can you remember any?"

The vibration died. Barry died in his dream.

Lucas screwed his face up, trying to think. "You were in it."

She raised an eyebrow. "Yeah? What was I doing?"

Me.

"I don't remember," he said. "But I remember you were in it. Don't think it was anything bad."

It was, but in a different sense of the word.

The vibration kicked up again, and he ignored it.

"What else?" she asked.

Cyrus.

"Nothing," he replied.

"All you dreamed about was me?"

Okay.

"Okay," he said.

The vibration died.

"I don't know if I should be flattered or not," she said. "But I won't pry. I understand now."

Because that's what friends do.

He sat back up, back screaming, and grinned. Even grinning was painful, but she deserved a grin. The phone rang again. He picked it up with achy fingers, stiff joints creaking like rusty hinges, and held the phone to his left ear. He sat up at the sound of the speaker's voice, gruff and aged with sea water. In distraction, in habit, he flipped his notebook open to the last page he written on, pulling a pencil out of his right pocket. He started to scribble. He had no idea what, but he let it bleed out.

"Hey, Eldritch. It's nice to hear from you."

~ ~ ~​

Interesting.

Arguably, you were a difficult case.
    My child, you do not understand how long it took for me to find something?

Did you think you could get away that easily, child?
    And did you think you could flit through these dreams with no repercussion?
    Remarkable specimen, you humans.
    Knowledgeable in some senses but still so lost.
    Roaming the dark.
    Aimless. Disorientated.
    I understand now, child. And this time, there is no escape.

You.

Are.

Mine.

Last edited:

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • A/N warning: Violent/suicidal imagery and cursed-filled fights up ahead.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

I think the problem with trying to forget your past is that you are forced to remember it in order to forget it. Forget it, they tell you, you tell yourself. What do you want to forget? The very thing you keep repeating in your head. What is that? That thing you want to forget. It's a paradox in some ways, shitty in others. It's futile.

Still, it's hard for me not to want to forget; life would be easier if I could. I don't think you can ever truly forget. Things just start to lose their edge, become simplified. Those bad emotions become statements of emotion, those statements of emotion become paragraphs, those paragraphs become sentences, those sentences become words, those words become letters, those letters become meaningless symbols, and when you look back on that memory – that thing you want to forget – you realize you don't feel anything toward that memory anymore.

But then, in passing, you mind suddenly becomes filled with that memory. You might just be sitting or reading, and bam! You feel shocked that your mind could spring such a bad trick on you; yet it's a dull version of the memory that doesn't hurt, that doesn't make you want to punch things or cry in frustration. You feel this sort of gaping state that isn't exactly sadness or anger but a knocked-off version of it. A memory of an emotion. And in a way, that numbness is a little sad in itself.

I hear sanity is overrated. I hear being a champion is overrated.

Friends are overrated, too. We are all trying to destroy ourselves, sometimes unwittingly. That's scary. When you let people in, you let them see your vulnerabilities, your weak spots, and any minute, any second, they might just snap you in half. But you've got to let it go. You're fighting a useless fight. It's the whole risk vs. reward ratio. I think it's worth it.

I think she's worth it.

Move Set:

Screech
    Confuse Ray
    Attract
    Signal Beam

~ ~ ~
    Chapter Sixteen
    ~ ~ ~

A storm was on the horizon.

Dawn could barely hold his weight up as he leaned heavily against her, his left arm wrapped around her shoulder. She looked out, eyes narrowed, hair blowing behind her and fanning out. The skies were gray and cloudy, as was the sea who reflected the sky. Glimmers of afternoon sunlight peeked out in thin, gold spotlights. It reminded her of a vanity mirror.

Lucas informed her to stay above land; the mirror sea was shaky now, able to overtake the docks and sweep her away. So she stood on the hill, eyes squinting, weight distributed to her side to hold her steady. She watched as the motor boat roared toward them, shattering mirrors, shattering the loud wind that whispered harshly. It's a ssssecret. It's a ssssecret. Don't tell.

His eyes were closed and his breaths were soft, gentle. His lids flicked open halfway, and she felt it, felt them open like they were her own eyes. Blue caught blue, and she gave him a smile, tentative, worried, but hopefully reassuring. His left cheek scrunched up, brow wrinkling. It took all her power not to kiss that scrunched up cheek and relax it. It'd probably make things worse, but he looked so peaceful, and this setting was straight out of a movie, a novel, her imagination.

She turned her head and stared at the olive trees, branches creaking and shaking; nature was shivering. Rain and leaves swept past. Her skin was oddly sticky. The fingers on her right hand pushed up the sleeve on her left arm and wrapped themselves around it, squeezing, letting her nails dig into the skin and leave crescent-shaped marks. It's a secret, she thought, eyes reflecting the gray. What happened here is a secret. The secret is a secret. The secret word of the day is "secret."

The boat pulled up to the docks, and she nudged Lucas who, startled, stood up straight and took a step away. It amused her. He allowed her to see him in a weakened state, let her in, let someone else take care of him instead of the reverse, but he wouldn't dare allow anyone else see that. He gave her a wary glance, eyes flicking up and down and judging her, but she stood there, confident, hands on her hips, knuckles pressed against her hip bone. She grinned back. The sleeves of her pea coat fell over her balled fists. She heard Lucas clear his throat. She threw her hair over her shoulder with a shake of her head.

The two of them watched as the young sailor threw rope – evil, evil rope – over one of the docks' wooden pillars. He walked toward them and they toward him and met on the hill's slant. Dawn stared at her boots, the material soaked with rain, and idly wondered if her soles were slick enough for her to slip on the wet grass and slide toward the bottom.

Eldritch asked if they found anything. Her eyes cast up, meeting Lucas's still wary gaze before he turned his head and looked up at the sky, letting out an exasperated gasp of air. She turned her attention toward the young father, his jacket zipped up and wrapped tightly around him. His face was unflinching in the biting wind. His brown eyes seemed to stress the question again, eyebrows raised, lips pursed. She shook her head. She felt the father deflate. She wanted to apologize–why did she always feel the need to apologize for things that aren't her fault when a person is sad?–but bit her tongue to stop herself. She ran her tongue over her two front teeth before rolling it back.

He motioned them to go to the boat with a nudge of his head and the point of a finger, commenting that they had to leave right now before the storm got too bad. As he said this, the wind roared again. Don't you tell. Don't you tell. It's a secret, and don't you tell. She wouldn't. She had no idea what not to tell, but she kept her word to the distressed wind.

She adjusted the strap of her bag over her shoulder before climbing on the boat.

~ ~ ~​

Lane felt the groggy state of awakening after a particularly restless night of sleep. It's a dazed state, your vision blurry, sinuses irritated, like after inhaling the summer and the smell of lemongrass touched with salt that blows through the open window. His mind was running but at a standstill at the same time, like a car turned on but thrown in park. Still, he was finally awake, and that's all that mattered.

He wasn't in his room, he realized, as his blurry eyes caught the sight of white sheets, white walls, gray weather, and the reflection of dim light on the window. The sheets felt nothing like his sheets at home. His were soft; these were stiff and itchy. He tried to move his limbs, to bring his hands to his face to rub the tiredness out of his eyes, but felt his arms too heavy to lift. He tried to open his mouth, to let out some sort of vocal noise that he was awake and here and hungry, but found his lips stuck together.

As he closed his eyes, trying to contemplate what was going on, he felt a presence behind him, its cold grip guiding the stiff sheet over his upper body, then shoulder, then below his chin, and, quite suddenly, he had this overwhelming realization that he wasn't awake. He let out a whimper and forced his eyes open again: the same white on white on gray on bright. The being was gone and the sheet was still below his waist. Lane felt the groggy state of awakening after a particularly restless night of sleep. It's a dazed state, your vision blurry, sinuses irritated, like after inhaling the summer and the smell of lemongrass touched with salt that blows through the open window. His mind was running but at a standstill at the same time, like a car turned on but thrown in park. Still, he was finally awake, and that's all that mattered.

Then there was the lull, forcing him to close his eyes, and the return of the being, this time arching over and blowing against him, a frightening gust that pricked up the hairs on his arms. Something ran through his hair; something pressed against his back. The cold grip returned, aggressively taking the folds of the sheet and forcing it over his upper body, then shoulder, then head – and the air became hot and stuffy, and he felt his heart race, his breath going shallow, like when breathing in the hot steam of a long shower with the doors and windows closed, and this time there was a fight, a fight to open his eyes, or his dream-eyes–he knew he wasn't awake but wasn't in a dream either–and Lane felt the groggy state of awakening after a particularly restless night of sleep. It's a dazed state, your vision blurry, sinuses irritated, like after inhaling the summer and the smell of lemongrass touched with salt that blows through the open window. His mind was running but at a standstill at the same time, like a car turned on but thrown in park. Still, he was finally awake, and that's all that mattered.

He started to panic at the repetition. Maybe it was the realization that he wasn't in control anymore. Lane hated taking orders, especially orders from some weird black thing who didn't know who Lance was and how awesome he is. Lance, not him, though he's pretty awesome, too.

It is happening again. I feel it. Do you not feel it?

This time, the clawed creature with an icy touch took the sheet and smothered him with it.

~ ~ ~​

Dawn stared at the lighthouse outside Canalave's borders. They were still a bit's away, bouncing on the shaky waves, but she could still make out the gigantic stone building with its bright, narrow light that circled around, calling forth lost souls who were looking for shelter. It rested on the cliff, the lighthouse, so tall and robust. The frothing, gray waves collided with the hard, brown rock in powerful blasts.

She narrowed her eyes as the salty water stung her eyes (she wasn't crying, right?), the wind whipping her hair around in frenzy. She pulled down on her knit cap, fingernails poking holes through the yarn, and pressed her thighs together, part to keep her legs warm and part so Lucas's head wouldn't fall through and hit the stiff wooden bench she sat on. Lucas's body took up the rest of the bench, his right leg pulled up but his left leg stretched out. His hands were laced on his stomach, hat cocked over his eyes. She assumed he was asleep. She had never seen him so worn out. The weird thing was that he was worn out from sleeping of all things.

Dawn, feeling unsettled, turned her upper body so she could stare at the lighthouse again. She pressed a covered hand against her stomach, rubbing it through her thick coat. Her eyes rolled upward, staring at the clouds that suddenly swarmed and overtook the beautiful blue morning a few hours ago. They rumbled against each other, pushing each other, trying to make more room for their vast bodies. Lucas grumbled too, stirring, right leg lowering itself only for his left leg to rise. He unlaced his hands briefly to tug down on his jacket and throw the frays of his scarf over his shoulders instead of letting the ends sweep the floor.

When she realized that he was still awake, she asked him how he felt. He cursed in reply. She wondered out loud when Lucas had become such a potty mouth and teased him that she was going to tell his mother. Lucas lifted the brim of his cap with his palm, resting his fingers on top. He stared at her, eyes wide. She rubbed her lips together before smiling in return.

When she asked him, quite tentatively, if he was disappointed that they were leaving without finding anything new, he looked at her funny as if the answer – yes – was obvious. He then muttered something, something she could barely hear over the roar of the motor and the crashing of waves, but she heard her name followed by an eyebrow raise and a smirk. She noticed that he doesn't say her name a lot for some reason.

She didn't bother to ask him to repeat as she smiled back, letting her imagination fill in the blanks, her hands playing with the key chains on her bag.

~ ~ ~​

He was back home. Home, everyone! Sweet, sweet home!

Lane ran for his room, letting his right hand drag against the small bumps and grooves of the hallway's wall. He kicked open the door of his bedroom with a socked foot and was greeted with ... nothing. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

He wandered in, confused, letting the dust swirl around him as he stood in a patch of sunlight streaming through his bare window (where were his window stickers?!). There were the sneaker skid marks on the wall near his now empty closet when he tried to see if he could climb up walls (he couldn't, though he did make it up two steps if he tried to run up it first). There was the weird stain in the corner that was an off-shade of white compared to the rest of the carpet (he accidentally spilled an entire gallon of bubble soap when blowing bubbles in his room one rainy day. There were a lot of bubbles that day, and lots of yelling, too). But as for anything else, it was all gone. No bed to jump on. No nightstand with a pokéball-shaped alarm clock. No lacy curtains that Mom constantly plucked at. No ...

Where was Mom?

"Helloooo?" he yelled while cupping his hands around his face. He enjoyed how his voice echoed.

Dad appeared behind him, leaning against the door frame, his arms crossed. Lane excitedly ran toward him, arms outstretched to give him a hug, but Dad stepped back and pushed him away. He stood there – him, not Dad, though Dad was standing too – eyes wide, filled with question. He wanted to ask where his stuff went, why it was so dusty, why Dad was wearing a fancy suit instead of his usual ratty t-shirts, and if he ran fast enough, could he run up the wall and do a back flip like in the movies, but strangely enough–perhaps not strange enough to ask but strange enough for it to be the first question to a dad he hadn't seen in what felt like months–he asked: "Where's Mom?"

Dad gave him one of the grimaces that could be confused with grins as he pushed his hefty self away from the door frame. His arms were still crossed, his fists pressed between his chest and the crooks of his elbows. Dad blew out his cheeks, blew out the air, and repeated the process. "Gone," he finally said after a third cycle of sucking in and blowing out huge puffs of breath.

Lane scratched his scalp through his hair. "Gone?" he repeated. "Gone where?"

"I finally got rid of that whore."

Lane knew curse words even though Mom didn't want him to know about them, let alone use them. Dad cursed a lot when he thought Lane couldn't hear (and a lot of kids at school were cussing already), though Lane heard it anyway and just didn't mention it. But Dad never cussed in front of him, let alone about Mom. "Gone?" he said again, flustered. He felt heat rise to his cheeks, nostrils flaring. "What did you do with her?"

"I'm getting married," his father proclaimed proudly, ignoring Lane's question, putting his hands on his hips. He motioned toward his black suit adorned with dark blue tie and white undershirt.

Lane felt his heart thump in his ribcage as his father made a swipe for him. He sidestepped and ducked under his arms, exiting his room and standing in the dim hallway. He pressed his back against the wall (why wasn't he running for Arceus's sake!) and watched his father turn around, grimace-like grin abroad. "Married?" he asked.

"Yes, married again to my true love!" Dad yelled gleefully, taking a step forward in what appeared to be painfully tight black leather shoes. Said painfully tight black leather shoes raised itself and tried to stomp against Lane, but Lane rolled over and dodged it. The collision made the empty picture frames on the wall rattle (good. That stupid school picture of him when he was six and had snot running out of his nose was gone). "I am marrying the sea! Just me and my mistress!"

Lane reached down to the waistline of his jeans and pulled them up by tugging on the back belt loop. He jumped a bit so that the ends of his pants were resting on the tongues of his sneakers rather than dragging on the floor. "Are you coming back?" he asked tentatively, his left hand still pressed against his back. He slowly made his way toward the entrance of the empty house, inhaling the dust and trying his best not to sneeze even though his nose twitched. "Daddy"–daddy? He hadn't called Dad "Daddy" in years–"you promised you'd always come back after a trip. Don't you remember? When you gave me Dragonite and took me and Mom to lunch at the docks before you went out to sea for two months? You said ... you said you might be gone for weeks at a time, sometimes months, but you said you'd come back so long as you lived! That's what you said!" His nose wrinkled, eyes narrowed, breath coming out loudly from his open, dry lips. "That's what you promised!"

Silly brat.

"Silly brat," Dad said, one of his hands reaching behind his back as Lane bumped into the front door, his fingers roaming behind him in panic, trying to find and open the lock. "You really believe that?"

"You promised," Lane reiterated firmly. "And you promised Mom!"

Success. Lane's shaky fingers managed to twist the deadbolt into the unlocked position with a satisfying click. His hands wrapped around the door's lever, ready to push it down when necessary –now, Lane, push it down now. Dad pulled out a knife, the steel blade shining even with the sunlight blocked by the heavy curtains. Before Lane could press down on the lever, his father's big hands grabbed for him and got a hold around the thin collar on his t-shirt, dragging him closer. Lane squirmed, trying to pull away from his father's meaty fingers, his head turned toward the side, refusing to look him in the face.

"Look at me," Dad demanded.

Look at him. Look at ME.

Lane scowled. "No," he said, hands outstretched, trying to push his father away.

"Look at me," Dad demanded again. The hand holding the knife lurched forward, grabbed Lane's chin roughly, and turned his head so he was staring directly into the abyss. The butt of the blade pressed into Lane's cheek.

"You were a mistake. You know that, right?" Dad sneered, releasing Lane's shirt from his grasp but keeping his other hand firm on his chin. "Your mother was nothing more than an easy fuck."

"You don't even know what you're talking about," Lane murmured through puckered lips, blue eyes driving their own daggers into his father's face.

Yes I do.

"You two just held me back," his father continued. "I want to be free from my burdens."

Lane's legs were trembling. He tried to throw a punch, but his father's fleshy hands managed to grip and hold tight to Lane's scrawny wrists. "I'm not a burden. You don't know anything!"

I will admit, dear child, that you were no easy specimen to dissect, to evaluate, to dominate.

Dad released him from his grip, and Lane flew back into the wood of the white door (he noticed the bells that hung around the lever were gone as nothing rang from the collision). His head hit the door hard, dizzying his vision, but he managed to clear it up with a shake. Once again, his hands roamed the back until he found the lever of the door, fingers wrapped around the cold brass, but he found that he couldn't move his trembling legs to escape.

Are you afraid of death, child?

Dad raised the knife and ran his pointer finger down the blade lightly. Lane didn't know what to do but stare and control his breathing.

I think you are.

He pressed his finger against the tip and drew blood that ran down his hand and gathered into the leather band of his watch.

Just not of your own.

He pushed down the lever and pushed open the door and pushed himself out right before the knife's tip pushed into Dad's neck. Lane slammed the door shut, eyes squinting as sunlight assailed his eyes. He managed to take a few shaky steps forward before collapsing into a sitting position, bottom meeting the hard wood floor of the porch. His legs curled up, and he squeezed them against his body, chin resting on his knees. The dragonite doll Dad gave to him was on the middle step that lead up to the porch even though he thought he gave the doll to Julie after her mom died. Its beady eyes stared up at him, stitched grin still grinning, clothed, furred wings blowing to the right in the light breeze. It wobbled on its bottom. He stretched over and pushed it off the steps. The doll landed on its belly.

"I hate you," he said to it.

~ ~ ~​

The boat pulled into Canalave's docks without any problems. Eldritch anchored the boat to the dock with the same evil rope from earlier as Dawn climbed out of the boat, Lucas following her.

Eldritch said they were lucky that the seas were still relatively settled on their trip back. The clouds had finally released their torrents of water that fell in icy sheets. The raindrops absorbed the color of the streetlights; they were like melted gold. Dawn outstretched her hand and let a few drops fall into her palm, fingers slightly curled. She imagined herself cashing in on this natural wealth, but the drops were translucent, reflecting not the gold of the lights but the paleness of her skin. She wiped her wet hand on Lucas's jacket sleeve, her nose wrinkled. He frowned in return.

As Eldritch climbed out of the boat and back onto the solid wood dock, he mused how Lane loved rainy nights. He likes the tapping on the roof, he remarked, a mix of cheer and sad nostalgia in his voice. He likes how the asphalt streets look gold when we're driving, he commented.

Dawn looked at the streets. She remarked that she enjoyed the distorted reflections of buildings, the sound of car rushing by that crush wet rocks underneath their tires. She liked umbrellas, the pleasant "ticking" noise that sounds when rain drops on the nylon and tumbles off the ends of the metal ribs. She liked the mixed sensations of rain, how everything is eerily calm but at the same time rushed as people scurry from one dry destination to another. She liked that Lucas had pulled out an umbrella out of his backpack and held it more over her head than his.

Eldritch wiped at his eyes. Lucas lifted the umbrella higher over their heads. She looked at him; he looked much healthier with his back straight and stance sturdy. He stared up at the dark clouds, uncaring that the rain was pelting him in the face. The sun had already set. He told her that he liked rainy nights because you couldn't really see the clouds. We're staring into an abyss, he remarked, hand wrapped tightly around the u-shaped handle of the umbrella. It makes me feel tiny, a speck, and I like being a speck in the grand scheme of things.

She stared at the side of his risen head and replied that you could do that any night, that it doesn't have to be raining. He corrected himself: I like night, then.

Eldritch rubbed his lips together. He asked if they wanted to visit Lane. She looked at him and him at the night that he adored staring into, but they both agreed at the same time.

~ ~ ~​

Lane hated stupid dress shirts, believe it. He hated stupid collars; he hated stupid clip-on ties; and he hated that he always had to tuck them – his shirt, not the ties, though there's a funny story about that – into his pants. Mom made sure he looked well put-together today. She told him, as she combed down his gelled hair much to his chagrin, that it was important he looked respectable. She adjusted his gray tie so it fell flat in the middle of his stupid, itchy dress shirt, right where the buttons were.

"Do you know what to say?" she asked, standing up straight and fixing her own black dress, the bottom ends hanging slightly above her knees. She put on the black cardigan with the lacy back, slipping her arms through the thin sleeves. Lane stared at the top of his fancy shoes that pinched the top of his toes. His pants were just long enough to hide his socks but not enough to engulf his shoes like his jeans did.

"Uh ..." Lane scratched his head, and Mom's hand immediately flew back down to flatten what he had mussed up.

Mom grouped her brown hair together and pulled it around her left shoulder. She grabbed her purse off the wooden chair nearby before opening the front door. The wind darted inside like an excited dog. "You say that you are sorry for her loss." She stepped onto the porch, heels clicking on the well-kept dark wood. Lane scurried after her, and she closed the door, locking it with her house key.

"Why? It's not my fault. You told me to say that when it's my fault," he said as the two of them walked out of the shade their house provided and down the concrete pathway into the sunny spring. The air smelled wet, like right after a rainstorm, though the ground was dry.

"You be respectful, Lane," she replied. They reached the wooden gate; Mom rested her hand on the brass lock and flicked it up, unlocking it. The gate opened with a lazy creak. "You're not saying 'I'm sorry' because you did something. You're saying 'I'm sorry' because you sympathize, Lane. She might be sad. She might be sad for a long time." She looked around, noticing that her son was gone from her side. "Lane?"

Lane was crouched down, knees in the air, staring at something in the front yard. "There you are, Dragonite. I was wondering where you went. Hope you enjoyed your camp out!" he said cheerfully.

"Lane Adam Eldritch!" Mom pulled him up by the back of his sports coat, though Lane managed to grab onto Dragonite's tail and bring him up too. "Now is not the time for that. Leave Dragonite here."

Lane didn't listen, and Mom didn't seem to care too much as she didn't ask him again to drop Dragonite off as they walked down the sidewalk. He brought him to his face; he smelled stale. He swung him back and forth by the tail as Mom and he went to one of Canalave's local house of worship. A bunch of people were standing outside the building, most of them dressed in dark colors too. It was a dumb day to dress in dark colors; it's hot as heck. Lane could feel perspiration building up behind the collar of his dumb, black, itchy, stupid, gross dress shirt. Mom and he stood a bit's away from everyone. Mom's eagle eyes were scanning for something, and she nudged her head in the direction of a grassy fixture in front of the church where even more people were gathered.

"There she is," she said. "She's standing near Mrs. Edmund's picture."

Lane didn't need his mom's help; he could spot Julie and her big, brown curly pigtails a mile away. Still, he stood there, one hand grasping Dragonite's tail and the other pulling at his clip-on tie. Mom tried to edge him forward with a touch to the upper back, but Lane stayed anchored, like one of Dad's ships tied with the evil rope. He felt both her hands lightly grasp his shoulders and run down his arms as she bent down and whispered softly in his ear, "She needs you, sweetheart." He looked back nervously at his mom, and Mom smiled at him. "And I'll be here if you need me."

It was all the encouragement he needed. He walked ahead and into the grass, the wet blade sliding against his leather shoes, his eyes fixated on the girl who he shared teachers with ever since he and Julie were five. He swallowed a rock-sized lump in his throat that went down uneasily.

Death is such a fickle thing, an entity that holds no biases, no preferences. It does not stereotype; it does not act justly or malevolently. Those who say death acts in a certain way is only forcing their own attitudes onto it. It just is. It is a tautology, death. It happens to all mortals, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. If you are lucky, it will take you peacefully, without a fight.

I am like death. My prey comes into my space, and I take them in no matter who they are because that is what I need to do in order to survive. I have had others besides you: other children, adults, pokemon. I had a champion once. He got away quickly. He was in the right place at the right time. He was lucky.

You, child, are not.

Lane approached Julie, who hadn't turned away from the picture of Mrs. Edmund, and before he could utter the words burning on his lips, he felt something shock him on the hand and force him onto his knees. He drew his hand up and tried to shake off the feeling. He soon realized he wasn't at Mrs. Edmund's memorial anymore but in his dark bedroom, crouched on the floor near the door and peeking through the crack, his eyes fixated down the hallway where his parents were fighting. He quickly turned his head toward the window where the full moon was hanging outside, basking his bed in a pale, white glow. His eyes went down to the pokéball-shaped alarm clock. Nine o'clock on the dot. He adjusted his legs so that he was no longer balancing on the flat of his feet but sitting on his rump instead. He had been in this position before where he was should be sleeping but was kept awake by the yelling his parents tried so hard to hide from him.

Apparently they didn't feel like trying tonight.

"My fucking fault?" Lane cringed at Dad's bitter tone, his lip curling up and his brow wrinkling. "How is this my fucking fault?"

"If you weren't gone all the time–"

"It's my JOB, Alyson." Lane jumped up a bit when he heard something shatter on the kitchen tile. "This house, that food, these bills, all bought and paid because of that stupid fucking job you keep complaining about. You know where we'd be if I didn't have that job?" There was a pause before Dad answered, "Out there on the goddamn street!" He heard Dad's voice crack on the last word.

There was another awkward pause as the kitchen pantry slammed shut and the sound of broom sweeping and ceramic clattering traveled down the hallway. "If you didn't have that stupid job, my son wouldn't be–" Mom had to stop herself as she choked out a loud sob and sucked it back up with a few snotty sniffles.

"He's not just your son. He's my son, too, and I did whatever I fucking could for the kid. So don't even pretend that you were the only one that sacrificed so much, that you're the only one who fucking tried."

Have you noticed it yet?

Mom collected herself. "He loved to follow after you," she argued. "You love adventure, he loved adventure. You get into trouble, he got into trouble. But unlike you, he was a kid. He didn't know when not to cross the line. And now look where we are."

Have you noticed how they talk about you, child?

Something heavy slammed on the glass table in the kitchen, which made Lane flinch again.

"This, Daniel," she said. "I shouldn't have had to plan for this ever. He copied your stupid ass; he imagined that he WAS you. Don't you know how much he missed you when you're out? I might as well have been a single mother."

"It's my JOB," his father repeated furiously.

Lane was tempted to close the door and block out the angry voices that journeyed toward him, entered through his elf-like ears, and rattled his brain in his skull, but he forced himself to sit there, big ears open. He curled his legs under his bottom and peered forward.

I know you fear death; I know you fear the death of your loved ones. You saw this with your friend, the girl you told me about when we talked. She lost her mother so quickly, according to your memories, and it made you realize that the same could happen to you. You realized you had no say in death. You could not bargain with it. You could not fight it. You just had to accept it, take it in. You realized how swiftly your life, and the lives of others, could change with death.

When I read into you – into your past, your hopes for the future, your old dreams – everything I discerned was so simple, so sweet, so caring, so loving. You are a happy child. A hopeful child. You are braver than that champion. A selfish one he was, dressed in facade of unselfishness. He was afraid, afraid of letting himself go to others, so he pushes. He tries to push everyone away. He says he does not want to hurt anyone else when he does this. But what he really wants is to not hurt himself, to not feel that pain of losing someone ever again. He fears being alone, to not be left by himself to foster his anger, so he tries to block out emotion, too. Emotion, you taught me, comes in a wide variety, some painful and some exhilarating. I do not know what it is like to feel sad, but I do know it hurts my prey. Unlike him, you accept them all. You take people by the hand – the hand of that little girl, for example –and try to help them. Why? Because you are a good boy. Because you truly wish happiness on everyone you meet.

You, too, know this, perhaps subconsciously. You know there are risks involved when you let someone into your life. You know you can get hurt, but you do not allow that to stop you. You let them in – willingly, too – and that is what makes you braver than that pathetic champion. What you both fear is abandonment, death and the aftermath of death. He fears this for himself.

But you ...

You fear this for others.

There was another loud pound, the sound of a hand colliding with something hollow but hard.

"I should be settling on the details for his birthday party," she said callously. "Not the final details for his funeral."

He was ... dead? Lane blinked rapidly. He crawled away from the door but remained on the floor, still well within earshot of the conversation. He hugged his knees to his chest. He stared at a couple of marble pokéballs that his dad gave him positioned near the door; they reflected a glint from the light that traveled from the living room toward his room.

"And if you were here ..." his mother said shakily (he could imagine the tears streaming down her face), "if you were here more often–"

"It still could have happened," Dad interrupted.

"No. You could have done something if you were here."

"What could I have done, Aly?" he yelled. "Follow him everywhere and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid? He was a kid, Aly! Kids get into messes all the time, and even if I had the time, and the money, and the energy to follow him around, I couldn't follow him everywhere. But I was doing my job, trying to support him and you so we don't wind up on the streets!"

"And look where that got us," she said bitingly.

"Lovely, Aly," his dad replied back sarcastically. "Of course. Everything is my fault. That's fine. Nothing is ever your fault. NOTHING. While I'm out there working my ass off, you get to stay here and bitch."

"I'm done," she said simply, coldly. "I am done." Lane heard chair legs scrape back, another slamming down of something on the kitchen table. "This life, this home, you ... you were a mistake."

Who was she referring to with this "you?" Lane clenched his burning eyes shut and crawled toward his bed, pulling himself up on top of it. He pulled the sheets adorned with water-pokémon over his legs and let the tears drip down onto his covered knees.

"Aly, come on," he said. "We–"

"Don't touch me," she warned. "Don't touch me!"

A loud slap reverberated through the house, followed by more chair legs squeaking on tile. Something crashed onto the floor again with a loud bang, which made Lane yelp and shake his already blurry vision. He wished Dragonite was here, but he realized Julie probably needed it more. Real men don't cry after all.

"Take all that stupid money you worked so hard for while ignoring your family and spend it on a divorce lawyer. I'm done."

His dad didn't respond verbally. Lane heard the coat rack fall over and clatter onto the kitchen tile before the bells that hung around the front door's lever chimed. Dad stepped out and slammed the door behind him. The bells rattled again before silence overwhelmed the house except for Lane's shuttered breathing and the sobs that racked his throat and forced their way out in loud gulps.

Real men don't cry.

Real men are sailors.

Mom raced down the hallway, stopped at Lane's room, and threw the door open, startling him. Her eyes darted back and forth the same way they moved when she was helping him look for Julie at Mrs. Edmund's memorial, but she found no solace, no calm, in this search and instead, with her shoulders pushed back and her curly hair bouncing with each small movement of her head, let out a sob so loud that it rattled Lane to the core. She walked toward Lane's bed and collapsed to the side of it, her head resting on top of her crossed arms that lay on his bed. Her cries were muffled. Lane tentatively reached out, wanting to run his hand through his mom's hair like she used to do when he was upset, but he realized it was done in vain; his touches weren't felt, and Mom continued to weep.

"Don't cry, Momma," he said pathetically, fighting back his own weeping. "Don't cry because I don't like seeing you sad." His words went unheard, and Mom continued crying, as did he.

I know you fear death but not for the same reasons that others fear death. People fear death because they are afraid of the unknown. You fear death because of the exact opposite; you know how people change and react when someone dear to them dies. You worry about your own death, not because you hate suffering in your own body but because upsetting people is the last thing you want. I find this peculiar.

I realized something. He, the champion, hated displeasing others because it makes him feel guilty. You, my child, like pleasing others because it makes them happy.

There is a fine difference between both. I cannot take that away from you.

Lane pushed back the black sleeve that had unraveled itself, reached out, and grabbed Julie's hand, her hand soft and her fingers slender compared to his and especially compared to Fran's sausage fingers. Julie's eyes raced down from the picture, to the locked hands, to his face. "Mom said you might need me." He smiled, then frowned, then smiled again, unsure of what emotion to express on his face. "She says you'll be sad, and I don't like seeing my friends sad." He paused, his mind trying to piece together what Mom told him to say. "I'm sorry for your loss" repeated in his head but out of his mouth came, "She says you'll be sad for a long, long time." It sounded more truthful, more genuine, than some fake apology where he wasn't sure what he was sorry for in the first place.

"I miss her," she trembled out, gripping his hand tighter. "I'm scared."

"I think that's okay," he replied quickly without much thought. The answer came natural to him, not because it sounded like the "right thing to say" but because he truly believed it. That's what Dad taught him. That's what Dad told him on the docks before he left for that two month long trip to the Sevii Islands. It's okay to feel upset, and sad, and angry at people, but don't let it overwhelm you, he said. Don't fight it back; accept it. When you can accept it, you can move on.

He looked down at his shoes and the long blades of grass and noticed he still had Dragonite clutched in his right hand. Without thinking again because it felt like the natural thing to do, he lifted Dragonite up and said, "You can have Dragonite. Dad gave him to me when I was little. When I miss Dad, I talk to him and I feel better. Maybe he'll help you when you start missing your mom."

She took the stuffed toy with her free hand and pressed it against her body. "You're letting me have him?"

He nodded. He was going to miss Dragonite, but Dragonite had completed his mission with him. It was time for him to challenge more difficult tasks. That's what Lance would have done. Lane turned his head toward the picture frame, admiring it. "Is this your mom?" he asked.

She was the one that nodded this time.

"You look like her," he said simply. He swung their hands back and forth. "She's pretty."

Julie let out a loud sob at this, and Lane was quick to turn his head to find his mom. Meek blue met motherly blue. Sure enough like she promised, she was there for him. "Hug her," she mouthed.

Now that's where he drew the line. He didn't do a full-on hug because that's just icky, but he did wrap his arm around Julie's shoulder and pull her in a bit, not so that they were touching too much but enough for her to calm herself down, her own arms wrapped around Dragonite.

I believe our time together is coming to an end, child.

Lane was back in the black void, floating in the empty space. He turned his head left and right, trying to find the source of the voice. "Really?" he asked in disbelief as his body floated down toward a concrete platform (or was it the concrete platform floated up to him?). He landed feet first. His shoe laces were untied. "How come?"

"You have met the Protector, the Old Woman. Someone near your mortal body has brought back proof."

"The Old Woman?" he repeated.

Yes. She is the opposite of the abyss. She is the opposite of fear. She is the opposite of the lull.

"What is the opposite of fear?" Lane asked.

Not fear.

Lane scratched the side of his nose. "I don't think you're allowed to define things like that," he said. "Ms. Hall won't let me do that on vocabulary tests anyway."

The train had pulled into the station, its stack blowing out billowing gray smoke that dissipated as quickly as it formed. It screeched to a stop, blowing its whistle, though Lane stood there, unflinching at the noise and the onslaught of fume. The door opened, revealing empty passenger seats with red cushion seats. Lane stared at the grimy windows. "When I was six, I was almost killed by a train."

I know, child.

"I didn't know it then. Now I do. But I'm okay."

I know, child.

Lane stepped forward and wrapped his hand around one of the metal poles bolted outside the train that helped people climb up. The pole felt greasy and cold. He turned back as if the entity he was talking to was there. "How come that was my last dream, Julie's mom's memorial?"

There are no last dreams.

"I mean in this place. In your world. In your home."

There are no last dreams.

Lane wasn't satisfied with the answer but accepted it. He pulled himself up so he was standing in the doorway of the train but didn't move inside, blocking the door from closing. He stared up, blue eyes reflecting the black. "Will you remember me ... whoever you are?"

No, child. There are so many before you and after you, and I know no names. And you will not remember the dreams you have had here except fleetingly and perhaps a creature or two. You have energized me for the time being. This is my gift to you.

"The gift of forgetting a bad dream?"

Yes.

"A video game would have been nicer." Lane snapped his head to the right when the train blew its whistle again, but he didn't move from the door. He stared back out into the empty, black space ahead. "I wouldn't mind remembering. I don't think forgetting is good."

Then that is up to you.

"I don't mind you not remembering me. We're all different, right? We all cope in different ways, right?"

Yes, child.

Lane smiled. "Yeah. So I don't mind."

I know, child.

The whistle blew again, urging Lane to step inside so the train could close its doors. "I hope ..." he began, face screwing up as he tried to figure out a way to word his sentence, "I hope I helped you. I hope you know that I don't think you're bad. It's how you're created, after all, like the way I have big ears." He rubbed his cheek with his uplifted shoulder. "And even if you don't remember me and I don't remember you, I'd still like to be your friend."

You bemuse me, child.

"That was a word on a vocabulary test, bemuse. I think I confused it with 'amuse.'" Lane shook his head as the train blew its whistle again. "Anyway, I think it's time for me to go." He stepped back and the train closed its door. "Goodbye!"

Goodbye ...

Lane.

~ ~ ~​

There was a stillness in the air when Lane awoke. His eyelids flicked up slowly, blue eyes weary with tiredness. His hands were flat on his sides; underneath his fingertips was something feathery. He grabbed it and lifted it up, letting the keyring hang around his pointer finger. A multi-colored feather dangled from the end of the ring.

Then he heard the sounds of chair legs scraping on the ground, of sharp intakes of breath, of hurried footsteps. He turned his head slowly to the right, and his eyes met the bewildered one's of a girl, her dark blue hair grazing her cheek. Standing next to her was a boy who looked equally perplexed with a funny hat.

The girl was the first person in the room to regain composure.

"Hello," she said, smiling, "Lane."

Back