• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Majora's Mask vs. Lightning Returns

Years
    Same as title. Both games feature an end of the world you're trying to prevent denoted by the ever-present clock.

pkmin3033

Neither of them are particularly good, either.

Asides from that End of the World theme, there isn't really anything to connect them at all; the combat styles are totally different, the story unfolds differently, etc. I get the baseline for comparison, but it's like comparing Skyrim with Xenoblade Chronicles X because both have a massive open world...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Love 'em both.

Majora's Mask is better designed, though, no question. I suppose this comes from the fact that pretty much all of the quests in Majora's Mask have an effect and you can't save everyone, while in Lightning Returns it's based around the opposite idea: you can save everyone. This would be fine if so many of the sidequests weren't simple busy work and you actually cared about the characters affected by them or what their dilemma actually was. Oftentimes you'll just do the sidequests because they're there, but the quest design and the actual dilemmas oftentimes aren't even that interesting.

MM, on the other hand, uses its smaller setting to its advantage and makes it pretty clear that most of the quests have major effects on the people involved and, likewise, you'll likely end up undoing it. So I'd go with MM on that basis alone.

Sir Codin

The quality of your character will be determined by your answer.

If you don't pick Majora's Mask, pack up and go home. You failed the test. Report to your local Inquisitor for purging due to your extreme heresy.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 23, 2017
    Played a few hours of Lighting Returns and it is one of my all time fav games. Need to play it on my ps3 since I bought it over at my friend's house. So much better than Majora's Mask. Though I fine the N64 Zeldas to be the worst Zeldas. To be those two games were just very boring. Not sure why just did not really connect like I did with other games in the Zelda series. Heck I even enjoy Zelda 2 over the N64 Zeldas and even that was a meh game to me.

Back