• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making a Platinum Team Suggestion on pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    Ok well forget items and movesets i'm just focusing on pokemon.

I'm finishing my soulsilver and planning to start my Platinum.

here was the lineup i was thinking of starting with

Charmander/Dratini
    Turtwig
    Torchic
    Squirtle
    Gastly/Absol
    Beldum

Now I got all these naturally so i can just trade it in. First off I think alone this can be a really REALLY powerful lineup. The problem is i can't decide on the last choices between Charmander and Dratini and Gastly/absol.

See I want charmander cause having 4 starters in one lineup would be cool and plus he would focus on flying where torchic would be on fighting. Along with that he evolves into charizard a lot quicker than dratini into Dragonite and I may need it quicker to use fly and such. But on the other hand if I managed to get dragonite he would make the team more balanced and he would be a bit stronger than charizard but then again why have a dragonite at the end of the game when you need him to use fly earlier?

As for the gastly/absol. I was gonna decide gastly because i like pokemon that evolve when I go through the game. Along with that Absol has a weak defense and gastly can learn stronger moves. Then again absolt is stronger in attack and can learn more moves.

So what do you guys think? Personally I was wanting to go with Charizard and gastly, but I wanted to post it here just to hear what you guys think. BTw I'm not gonna switch the others out cause I wanted to do something different (and I caught all these in other versions btw)

here is what the final team would be like if it helps:

Charizard/Dragonite
    Torterra
    Gengar/Absol
    Blastoise
    Blaziken
    Metagross

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    Dratini over Charmander Easy. Also, Absol over Gastly.When its a gengar u could think about changing. So far great team. this is mine at the 8th gym:
    Gabite lv42
    Torterra lv42
    Staraptor lv42
    Weavile lv44
    Luxray lv43
    Giratina lv47

Hope i helped! ^-^

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    Dratini over Charmander Easy. Also, Absol over Gastly.When its a gengar u could think about changing. So far great team. this is mine at the 8th gym:
    Gabite lv42
    Torterra lv42
    Staraptor lv42
    Weavile lv44
    Luxray lv43
    Giratina lv47

Hope i helped! ^-^

Interesting.

But why Dratini and definitely why Absol? Doesn't it have a weak defense and therefore easy to defeat compared to Gengar?

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2013
    Dratini because it can learn all the moves charmander learns and more.and last evolutions, dragonites better built than charizard. Yes gengar over absol, but absol over gastly bcause absol natrally has better stats

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    How can we rate a team without knowing ANYTHING? At least moves or items? Please give more information.

Well I'm not saying moves or items cause I haven't planned that and I dont' want to till I play it. Though if you guys have good ideas I wouldn't mind hearing them.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I'd go with Dragonite if I were you.
    With minor grinding, Dragonair should reach Lv. 55 by the time you hit the E4. If not, then get a Fly slave. The only problem is that he is a pain in the a$$ to raise and will give you minor problems in the beggining. Zubat,if you know what I mean ! ;)
    Gengar over Absol, Absol works the best in Competitive while Gengar does good in both. Just make sure to give him SPECIAL moves only.
    That's it. Oh, and I'll stay tuned to help you moveset-wise !

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Dragonite and Gengar, because they're just better than the other Pokémon you have. Dragonite is way better at attacking than Charizard and Gengar than Absol, which is pretty much all you need in-game.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • whats the point of playing Plat if you aren't going to use hardly any pokemon from it Turtwig/gastly only one and absol later on. I just don't get it but I also don't get why you would need 4 starters.
    oh well some people any way you should scrap Charizard for Dragonite you all ready have fire covered and Gengar over Absol ,and I would teach him an electric move as well.

grey†fish

not black or white… or gray :]
    Years
  • Personally, I would pick Charmander/Charizard over Dratini/Dragonite specifically because this is an in-game team, and as you might imagine, it's a beeotch to not have Fly ASAP IMHO.
    Also, you don't really need a Dragon-type for the Elite Four (on DPPt especially), and you're perfectly able to cover Dragon-type opponents if you teach Blastoise Ice Beam (which he NEEDS).

Regarding the Gastly vs Absol thing, I would definitely pick Gastly. You might have issues against Psychic-types, but ultimately you can get rid of them with Beldum/Metagross, and in-game it's just FUN(!) when Pokémon evolve :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2010
    Be sure to remember that you are not going to be able to control them if you don't have the proper gym badge. One flaw in your plan.

Not true. By normal it's start with Gastly/Absol (gastly is level 5 where absol is level 10 I believe), Charmander/Dratini, Turtwig, Torchic, squirtle, and beldum. That's how i'd start.

Hmm see now I really want to use Dratini REALLY BADLY cause honestly this team with could be really REALLY powerful. The major problem is that this will be used for pokemon platinum. When I saw the elite four many weren't at level 55 and i need fly. Get what I mean? With Dratini I'd never be able to use fly till after the elite four or use dragonite's power.

Now if this was a heartgold/soulsilver team i'd totally choose dratini cause i could last the whole kanto region on him. I'll have to go with Charmander cause of the short gameplay. I mean why stick with dragonair for about 95% of the game. It's totally unfair. It isn't as balanced which really annoys me, but unless I got a friend to produce a level 5 Dragonite with his action replay I don't see the point

Gengar i'm probably gonna stick with. The thing is I noticed in the elite four with their psychic type which seems to be really strong. I would wish I had a dark type to go against it, yet then again Gengar could be useful. What do you guys think? Or I was also thinking of a Tyranitar too would could work as a good, powerful dark type.

Honestly team wise I would go with Gengar and Dragonite but if you think about the game, wouldn't it seem more right to use Charizard and Absol/Tyranitar?

EDIT: Now that I read what you guys said I think I may stick with Dratini and Gengar. I didn't think of it that way. Usually Fly has been a move i always taught but i could just use the fly slave thing

whats the point of playing Plat if you aren't going to use hardly any pokemon from it Turtwig/gastly only one and absol later on. I just don't get it but I also don't get why you would need 4 starters.
    oh well some people any way you should scrap Charizard for Dragonite you all ready have fire covered and Gengar over Absol ,and I would teach him an electric move as well.

The reason why I did that was because honestly I was tired of doing the same old crap. I like to get my pokemon at the start and with the choices you get at the beginning. Just in general I felt so limited on what I can choose from and so reciently I beat games, breed pokemon and then add them to a team in another game to have a different mix. It benefits me and the team to have stronger pokemon than to just get wild. I did starters cause I mean honestly doing 1 generation IV, 1 Generation III, and 1 Generation I starter in a team would be badass and kinda different ya know?

Last edited:
    Back