• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Making a program that can apply patches

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I am working on my first big ROM hacking project, and I realized that the way it will work might not be "consumer-friendly" so to speak. The reason is it involves

1. Picking a patch at random (where I'd encourage using random.org)
    2. The hack will have certain add-ons. You can apply multiple add-ons, but some cannot be combined, so the user would have to read the documentation and then apply each add-on he/she wants.
    I would like to solve this problem by making a program where the user checks off what add-ons he/she wants (and if two add-ons can't be combined, then checking off both will be impossible), then browses to locate the ROM and then just press the "apply ROM" button. I'm new to programming (besides MathLab experience), but by reading a Visual Basics tutorial it was quite easy to sort out the checkboxes and browsing for the ROM. I also think I can handle If-sentences or Select Case, so most of the programming seems easy.

So now the problem is how to make the program apply patches. Can I make the program do it by itself, or maybe using Lunar IPS or A-ptch as plug-ins? Cause the alternative seems to be reading up on ASM and then figuring out how the various hacking tools I've used performs the changes I've made for the hack, and that seems like a great deal of work.

Back