• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making A TCG

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    Hi i am intrested in making my own TCG but i'm not very good at art and i was wondering if anyone would like to help in anyway here are the details.

Name:Creature Core
    Genre:Fantasy

Thats all i have at the moment if you dont like the name tell me and i will change it all feedback appreciated.

If You Want To Help Please Post Here or PM Me.
    Thank you.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    I believe he just has a name.

It's kind of DIFFICULT if you want to make a TCG and make it balanced and good at the same time. I mean, Magic the Gathering has been doing it for about two decades and they STILL haven't gotten it right (though it's happened sometimes for sure)... Look at JtMS.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I believe he just has a name.

It's kind of DIFFICULT if you want to make a TCG and make it balanced and good at the same time. I mean, Magic the Gathering has been doing it for about two decades and they STILL haven't gotten it right (though it's happened sometimes for sure)... Look at JtMS.

Well, the idea was that he could get started with the mechanics beforehand, so that we could have some idea of what kind of a game it was--to see if we wanted to participate or not. Regardless, I don't think I will, since I've got a secret project of my own to work on heh.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Thing is, you can't make anything with just a name and genre. At least set out some rules and stuff that you can build on before you get working...

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    First thing you probably need to do is decide the following:

Win Condition (Life, Deck, Kill Points, etc.)
    Card Types (seeing it's called Creature Core, I assume it'd be creatures, maybe with enchants, and possibly attack cards)
    Hand Size (The standards are usually either 7 or 5)
    Deck Size (Usually either 50 or 60, though dropping to up to 30 is possible)
    Mana System (maybe not really to play creatures, but game-ending cards need some kind of limiter on them)
    Field Layout

Card games that come to mind in relation to this are Pokemon, UFS, Battle Spirits, Duel Masters, Magic, Yugioh.

Years

I'm not sure you realize, but by balanced, he was referring to the card game being moderately reasonable - not having so many overpowered (or perhaps conversely, underpowered, though this usually doesn't occur) cards / combos. An unbalanced card game is not ideal for the vast majority of players. Not many people like it, myself included.

You don't play Yugioh, but the current format is a load of crap in my opinion. Turn one Shien, turn one Royal Tribute, and just back row spam in general. 90% of the time, the person who wins the dice roll will win the match. There is just such a huge advantage of going first. In fact, the American national champion won because he won the dice roll - I am not kidding. I lost out on my invite to this year's European championships because I lost the dice roll on the final round. Not to mention the amount of busted ass cards that are in our current pool. Reborn Tengu, Hyper Librarian, Brionac and Trishula to name the main culprits. These cards ESPECIALLY TENGUE AND LIBRARIAN, should never have been made. They are so bloody stupid and they truly ruin the game. This is the main reason why I am taking it easy with Yugioh for a while and sticking to the Pokemon TCG for a bit. I do not enjoy a significantly unbalanced format. So yeah, balance in a card game is incredibly important.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm not sure you realize, but by balanced, he was referring to the card game being moderately reasonable - not having so many overpowered (or perhaps conversely, underpowered, though this usually doesn't occur) cards / combos. An unbalanced card game is not ideal for the vast majority of players. Not many people like it, myself included.

You don't play Yugioh, but the current format is a load of crap in my opinion. Turn one Shien, turn one Royal Tribute, and just back row spam in general. 90% of the time, the person who wins the dice roll will win the match. There is just such a huge advantage of going first. In fact, the world champion won because he won the dice roll - I am not kidding. I lost out on my invite to this year's European championships because I lost the dice roll on the final round. Not to mention the amount of busted ass cards that are in our current pool. Reborn Tengu, Hyper Librarian, Brionac and Trishula to name the main culprits. These cards ESPECIALLY TENGUE AND LIBRARIAN, should never have been made. They are so bloody stupid and they truly ruin the game. This is the main reason why I am taking it easy with Yugioh for a while and sticking to the Pokemon TCG for a bit. I do not enjoy a significantly unbalanced format. So yeah, balance in a card game is incredibly important.

Did you um...miss the link to the joke card game I posted? Called "We Didn't Playtest This at All"?

Guess you did, lol.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
    If the guy wanted to simply make a joke TCG, I doubt a post would have been made here.

In any case; joke TCGs are all fine and well, but if you don't playtest a TCG don't bother playing it because it'll be stupid. I think it's a reasonable assumption that one would understand this if one were an avid TCG player even if one does not have the example of a joke TCG, because one would be privy to information regarding the quality of a TCG in relation to its balance.

tl;dr I don't think it would have made a difference if he missed it or not since the purpose of this thread was VERY PROBABLY to make a serious TCG. : U The genre does indicate "fantasy", not "humor", and while it is true it doesn't have to be balanced I doubt anyone would waste any significant portion of time on making a joke TCG.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    If the guy wanted to simply make a joke TCG, I doubt a post would have been made here.

In any case; joke TCGs are all fine and well, but if you don't playtest a TCG don't bother playing it because it'll be stupid. I think it's a reasonable assumption that one would understand this if one were an avid TCG player even if one does not have the example of a joke TCG, because one would be privy to information regarding the quality of a TCG in relation to its balance.

tl;dr I don't think it would have made a difference if he missed it or not since the purpose of this thread was VERY PROBABLY to make a serious TCG. : U The genre does indicate "fantasy", not "humor", and while it is true it doesn't have to be balanced I doubt anyone would waste any significant portion of time on making a joke TCG.

...I was the one making a joke. I didn't realize that Tabletop Games was such a serious forum that I wasn't allowed to make a joke, lol. I'll bow out of this conversation now before other regulars (I'm going to assume you are because I never visit this forum, now I see why) come and tear me apart for having a sense of humor and attempting to share it. Good day!

Years

Did you um...miss the link to the joke card game I posted? Called "We Didn't Playtest This at All"?

Guess you did, lol.

Haha, yeah I did miss it :p

It's all good. Have you ever heard the phrase "Yugioh is serious business"? Yeah that is true lol. Card games for life! Or for death, depending on if you lose a shadow duel. Oh by the way, feel free to stick around a little. This was all just a simple misunderstanding - I'm sure we can all overlook it and move forward. Then I can teach you the way of INFLICTING 5800 POINTS OF DAMAGE WITH ALLY OF JUSTICE -DECISIVE ARMOR!

To the OP: If you intend to make a card game, I would recommend implementing ideas from other well known and established card games and use them as a foundation for your own creation.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I'd have no issues creating the mechanics for a TCG. Its just the design the cards part that I can't do.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Not sure what you planned for this TCG to go like, but here is my idea's for the types of monsters.

Monsters

All monsters start at a base form. In there base form they can have up to two ability's. Each monster starts with a ability, and a ability card will be used to give them there second. (At base level they can have one offensive, and one defensive ability)

Monsters go through diffrent stages of evolution. The majority of them have 3total stages (Base, stage 1, stage 2) but certian monsters have a additional stage (If they are given a Unstable/Unknown card) Those that evolve from a Unstable Mutation are usually classified as Corrupted Monsters. They have extremely high offensive power, low defensive power, and they require large amounts of Power to maintain. Those that evolve from a Unknown Ability are usually classified as Acended Monsters. These monsters have low offensive power, extremely high defensive power, have a moderate Power cost and have abilitys that are helpful to the summoner. There is a even rarer class of monsters called Forbidden Monsters. These are evolved from monsters with both Unstable Mutations, and Unknown abilities. They are extremely powerful in terms of offence and defence, and have a extremely high power cost to maintain. If one of these are summoned, all monsters you control (Except Corrupted or Acended) are destroyed. Although possessing no abilities at start, they can copy the ability of any monster you control.

Monsters at Stage 2 can be given Unstable Mutation or Unknown Ability but they will not be able to use any other ability's from whatever group they are given.

Monster overview
    Base 2x abilities
    Stage 1 2x ability, 1x mutation
    Stage 2 2x abilitys, 2x mutations or 1x Unstable Mutation, 1x Unknown Ability
    Corrupted No ability's or mutations
    Acended 1x Ability
    Forbidden ??? ability

Back