• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making it real: To hatch, or not to hatch

Arcis

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2020
    Ok, so as some of you may recall, I'm making a story and I'm trying to make it realistic. That brings up the question of breeding. In the game, all Pokemon are born from eggs. This is understandable, because it works out easiest for the programming.

HOWEVER!

Mammals, such as the doglike Growlithe and catlike Meowth, would not realistically be born from eggs, would they?

*is puzzled* Maybe Pokemon are just different... like the platypus.

What does cannon say? I know about the games, but what about the anime, manga and such? Can anyone give me examples? I'm not eager to fly in the face of cannon, but I want this all to make sense. (Note: Please try and show me where your info is from, if you can. I'd like to do research.)

Thanks in advance!

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    There is a movie that deals (for a while) about an egg, it's that deep sea one or whatever it's called. Anyway, while I can't remember any egg quote off hand, I'd surmise that since Pokemon are different, they would be born from eggs regardless.

However they all seem to "hatch" differently.

Though I think some Pokedex entries (especially from the first generation) conflict with newer stuff, such as Ghastly or Cubone (I think it was).

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Cannons... well, they don't talk. But canon, though, after the Egg concept was introduced goes along with that a lot. There's plenty of game canon examples, and anime supports it a lot too. Take Togepi for example, and the horrendously-named May's Egg-cellent Adventure! episode from a few seasons back. If you want lots of info in one place, try consulting the Bulbapedia article on the subject.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    The great thing about fanfiction is that you can do whatever you want, especially something like with breeding. I myself have done the same in my own fics, having only water or 'cold blooded' pokemon making eggs while the 'mammals', such as Eevee or Houndour give actual birth. I would definitely do that, especially since I've always found the concept of a Tauros hatching from an egg. :/

I know that you know about the games, since you said so in the post, but the canon and manga just have the same 'pokemon are from an egg' thing. Really, the only thing you could truly use is from the games. Mew being impregnated, but then again, it was a forced pregnancy, so maybe even in the old games when it described Mewtwo's 'birth' was just a scientific one time deal. Whatever happens, just choose what you think is right. Not everything has to be canon. :)

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Back