• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making my own Forums Software

QueenZ

Your Friendly Linux Support
    Years
    Hi,
    I've been really busy recently as i've been working on my own forums software. I'm planning to make it really powerful as vBulletin is. I hope to release first stable release until 1st of April.

I'm planning to make it 100% free to make it more popular. I hope you like this idea and understand.

Thanks,
    QueenZ

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
    Years
    Sounds like a great idea actually, but if it's going to cost you to keep it up and running, don't you think you may want to charge some? That way it's easier for you to keep it.

Though I've always wanted vBulletin, but sadly you must pay. Something as powerful and good as vBulletin for free, would definatley be popular. So all I can say is keep it up, sounds like a really good idea.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
    Mines not really new, I've been working on mine since last year. July or August is when I started. I've remade it a couple times to make it more security wise. The other old/new forum script is Paraboards. I don't know if he is still making it tho.

I guess the people who want to make there own just want to know there coding so if they want to put add-ons they can do it easily, unlike vBulletin where you need to know there coding to make a mod.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    [...]As far as commercial goes, nothing can compete with vBulletin and IPB.

Well that's not right. MyBB can really compete as open source software with vBulletin. It's nearly the same and with MyBB 1.4 it'll be better than ever. I don't say MyBB is better than vB (Actually nothing is better than vBulletin) but it's for someone who wants to have a vBulletin but don't want to pay. (Just like me)

But remember!!!: Nulling is bad. I'd run a nulled vBulletin board because I wanted to see how powerful it is and got reported early. But that was just right! It opened my eyes. Why use vBulletin if the risk is too high to get fined later? Since that time I use MyBB with a style which makes it vB like.

I made the screen smaller and edited it so that no name of the Forum appear. (Because of advertising rule)
    Spoiler:

Oh and I hate IPB...I think IPB doesn't have such a good future as vBulletin. I mean why would someone pay more money for IPB, when vBulletin is cheaper and better?

And if you are good in German, visit the German vBulletin site and read the thread "Haben Foren Zukunft?" (= Do Forums have a future?)

In there there are really many statements which are right. I tell you what left in my head.

- It was around 5/6 years that the boom of Forums began. After just 1/2 year there were lots of systems and each wanted to be the best. Some survived and some were down in the first weeks.
    Only the best softwares survived.

- With the start of Web 2.0 the most forum system released a new version with better graphics than ever. vBulletin used 3D images made in Lightwave 3D and put them in Adobe Photshop to make the vBulletin v3 GDK.

- Since 2005/6/7 no new Forum Software had a real success. They were somewhere deep in the underground because they came too late. Today there are so many alternate forum softwares that new ones don't really survive.

- There will be a time Forum Softwares will have a time out because all topics already have a Forum and users don't want to join 20 Forums with the same topic.

Last edited:

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    He's working on it since July/August 07. He already said that in Post #7.
    In the last 2 weeks he really worked hard, fixed the most bugs and added new features like Polls and Thread rating. Soon there will be a beta (21/02/08).

Last edited:

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    Well it's not the real Logo. Also the name is incorrect. It's not RevoBB it's just RevoBulletin. They will be used for the main sites like RevoBulletin Germany or so; not the Forums(I'll use it on the German Forum since I'll be admin there, but Tyler means it ruins the look)

American one:

German:

Dutch:

And here without anything:

And the reason why he don't have it in his sig is that it's just a logo. I don't think it'll stay the main Logo. I have to think of something different. But the logo is the hardest part, I mean how to make it, that it looks good and promising?

Last edited:

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    I think it's build of the words Revolution and of course Bulletin.
    So RevolutionBulletin would sound bad that's why he used RevoBulletin^^

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I think it's build of the words Revolution and of course Bulletin.
    So RevolutionBulletin would sound bad that's why he used RevoBulletin^^

Hehe... I actually took part in thinking up the name although it's quite insignificant. And yes, you're right.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    Hehe... I actually took part in thinking up the name although it's quite insignificant. And yes, you're right.

Yeah I showed Tyler the thread and so I knew it was right^^. On Thursday the beta will be released. Actually he's updating the install script since he added new features to it and so new tables which have to be build. Of course we don't expect many users but we already have a few who will try it.

Edit: That's what Tyler wrote to me in MSN today....

im gonna make RevoBulletin hosted

I don't like the idea...and hope to bring him to let others download the files...Everyone would have revobb.com/theirforumsname and that' not good...

Last edited:

saul

"My goodness, that's odd."
    Years
    There's always myBB too..... Oo;;

Imagine a forum script that is meant specifically used to be an RPG. With all the works built in and stuff....
    Someone should do that. =P

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
    [...]
    I'm planning to make it 100% free to make it more popular.[...]
    Is revoBulletin free forums software?? Well i'm planning to sell mine for $60.. :)

Mhh....Something doesn't seem right?!? Will you sell it or make it free?

Nobody will buy it, believe me... You really come to late to get paid for your software. I suggest you to go back 5 years and start your software there. Then you can sell it.

There are so many free altenative softwares that newcomers who want to get paid for their script don't have any chance. Keep my words in mind.

It would be the same if you say you develop a GameBoy with 16 Gray Tones or a console like NES and want to sell it for $60. Who would buy it? Nobody. And why? Because there are better alternatives. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive but it would be worth to buy a GameBoy or another NES.

Did you understand what I tried to tell you? Hopefully:D

Last edited:
    Back