• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Man of Steel (Superman)

Are you excited to see Man of Steel?

• Yes, very excited. Always liked Superman!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Yes, never been a Superman fan, but this movie looks like it could be entertaining.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No, but I may try and see it in theatres or possibly wait for Blueray/DVD.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, never liked Superman. Period.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Years
The problem is that this one is so so so very different from any Superman we've seen, (being based on newer comic material, 1990-now, not Donner's Silver age stuff) and people keep beating the inevitable Donner/Christopher Reeve comparison to death. This ain't yo dad's Superman. Being so different and alien (ohoho) compared to older Superman stuff is what people are nitpicking it for. That and the non-linear storyline. Don't go in expecting a Nolan movie though, this is Snyder's movie.

But the movie is marvelous. The special effects, cinematography and the design are out of this world. And the cast delivers. There were parts where my jaw was on the floor. Zimmer's soundtrack is phenomenal, and has been downloaded from iTunes since. Cavill is perfect, Michael Shannon is perfect, but Kevin Costner's performance is what really hits hard. His portrayal of Mr. Kent is the benchmark now, like Reeve's Superman was. I for one will go back and see it probably two or three more times.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
It's a superhero movie. Critics are going to nitpick it to death like every superhero movie to date.
Yeah, critics have a horrible track record with super hero movies. They just hate them...

Spider-Man (2002) - 89%
Spider-Man 2 (2004) - 93%
Batman Begins (2005) - 85%
Superman Returns (2006) - 75%
Iron Man (2008) - 93%
The Dark Knight (2008) - 94%
Iron Man 2 (2010) - 73%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - 79%
Thor (2011) - 77%
X-Men: First Class (2011) - 88%
The Avengers (2012) - 92%
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - 73%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 87%
Iron Man 3 (2013) - 78%

... Man of Steel (2013) - 55%

I think Snyder's more the problem than super hero movies or Superman. Critics haven't liked anything he's put out

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
Years
Yeah, critics have a horrible track record with super hero movies. They just hate them...

Spider-Man (2002) - 89%
Spider-Man 2 (2004) - 93%
Batman Begins (2005) - 85%
Superman Returns (2006) - 75%
Iron Man (2008) - 93%
The Dark Knight (2008) - 94%
Iron Man 2 (2010) - 73%
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - 79%
Thor (2011) - 77%
X-Men: First Class (2011) - 88%
The Avengers (2012) - 92%
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - 73%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 87%
Iron Man 3 (2013) - 78%

... Man of Steel (2013) - 55%

I think Snyder's more the problem than super hero movies or Superman. Critics haven't liked anything he's put out
Higher percentages do not somehow mean they weren't nitpicked by critics, but nice try. A lot of those movies I read individual reviews from critics on sites like rotten tomatoes where both the positive and negative reviews did plenty of nitpicking in regards to the movies relation to it's comic book heritage etc which has been one of the major issues with a lot of critics and this movie. The whole point of my statement was to encourage the movie to be seen before making judgements based on reviews as I personally feel the movie was fantastic.

Audience review on Rotten Tomatoes was 82% / Critics review was 56% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
IMO I enjoyed it. On screen, this movie some what showed me how OP Superman is or any cryptonian lay there feet on Earth. I was also surprised that the amount of minutes between that some what was either some one getting punched threw a wall/building or a Earth shaking launched into the sky was pretty short.

Other then that. I liked it. Origin story is well known through out super hero history so a lot of us knew. and it was well explained.

Story was a tad bit choppy from past and present but it didnt bother me. Only thing that did bothered me was the immense amount of screen flares and extensive camera shaking in the fights.

Overall I liked it. They should keep Dc movies like this vibe. It's suitable. Though it would be drastic to completely revamp the vibe of Green Lantern if there is a sequel. But it would be nice.

I'm really looking forward for the MoS sequal. Hope it's not Lex or Doomsday as villians. I hope it isn't. I was thinking of Bizarro, Brainiac, or Mr. Mxyzptlk for God sakes

Spoiler:

Back