• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
  • I wish someone would rate this, my friend worked hard with this! She didn't even use advanced map to make it. I love it.

No one here have used Advance map to make our maps.
    Advance map is a rom hacking tool, and this is not the rom hacking.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but geez people, read the description of the section you post in:
    Code:
    [B][SIZE="4"]Game Development[/SIZE][/B] [SIZE="3"]Discuss your games here, get help, and chat about the programs you use! (RM2K, Sphere, Game Maker, RM2K3, etc)
    [B]This forum is not for ROM-Hacks or things related to them![/B][/SIZE]

Anyway, as it's been bumped, I might as well rate it.

5.5/10
    It's got the feeling of a city, but the tree tiles are used wrong in some places, and the placement of the trees are unnatural.

Also, the border/ sides of the map will be messed up, if this indeed is a rmxp map (which I doubt)
    Otherwise, a fine map.

//44tim44

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • Map Name: Viridian forest (in the future)

Map Editor:RPG Maker XP

Comments: I made this map a while ago, and there are alot of things I would do differently now, but I just wanted to see what other people think of this map, I myself would give it a 6/10 myself for the straight treelines, and odd positioning of shadows

Mapshot:
    https://img242.imageshack.us/i/viridianforest.png/
    (it's a bit big, and imageshack is giving me trouble, sorry)

thank you!

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 4
    Editor: RMXP
    Comments: Just an average route linking 2 towns together.

Years
  • Map Name: Talon Cape

Blurb: Talon Cape is a small coastal town in the south. Its residents enjoy a warm sun but are forced to wear coats because of the strong sea winds that blow across it. Although a good number tourists visit the town to see the lighthouse** and ancient statue of Ho-oh**, very few people actually live there, meaning it has one of the lowest populations in the country. The town itself is on a thin stretch of land poking out into the sea. A sea route extends to the east, and for easy access, there is also a small ferry service running from the centre of town. Whilst there is a Pokémon Center near the port, residents must visit the larger towns to the north to buy most goods, although recently, the man in the green-roofed house sells some bare necessities such as fresh water and antidotes.
    **I haven't drawn those, but they're represented by the lamp-post and gym statues respectively. The tiles themselves were made by Kyledove, with one or two minor modifications for the beach.

Comments: This is a map I made to test out my skills. It turned out so well, though, that I'm considering using it as it is. What do you think?

monarc

Cute! A Pokemon Adventure
    Years
  • Map Name: Talon Cape

Blurb: Talon Cape is a small coastal town in the south. Its residents enjoy a warm sun but are forced to wear coats because of the strong sea winds that blow across it. Although a good number tourists visit the town to see the lighthouse** and ancient statue of Ho-oh**, very few people actually live there, meaning it has one of the lowest populations in the country. The town itself is on a thin stretch of land poking out into the sea. A sea route extends to the east, and for easy access, there is also a small ferry service running from the centre of town. Whilst there is a Pokémon Center near the port, residents must visit the larger towns to the north to buy most goods, although recently, the man in the green-roofed house sells some bare necessities such as fresh water and antidotes.
    **I haven't drawn those, but they're represented by the lamp-post and gym statues respectively. The tiles themselves were made by Kyledove, with one or two minor modifications for the beach.

Comments: This is a map I made to test out my skills. It turned out so well, though, that I'm considering using it as it is. What do you think?

Wow it is really cute, if you hadn't thought of it first i'd have used it in my game haha

The onlyu problems i have with it is, iven though it is supposed to be skinny, it is really reall skinny! i would reccomend adding even just a small bit of land to the west, and perhaps the upper right, also some trees. Coming from a geographical point, a town that jutted right inted the middle of the ocean would have no defences to protect it from storms etc , of course you can totally ig nore this xD (Pacifidlog >__>) but any way :3

i don't give numbered ratings >.> but have a *thumbs up* xD

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    Talon Cape looks great! Very unique. And I like that it's a bit skinny.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2009
    Map Name: Talon Cape
    Blurb: Talon Cape is a small coastal town in the south.

Nice. I don't think you should limit yourself to a 30 tile wide map without a good reason. Besides that, the light tower island should be slight bigger. Needs some greens and... erm... that's all i think. Can't tell much until the finalized version is up.

Years
  • Thanks for the positive comments! I think I've found something I can do! :D
    Nice. I don't think you should limit yourself to a 30 tile wide map without a good reason. Besides that, the light tower island should be slight bigger. Needs some greens and... erm... that's all i think. Can't tell much until the finalized version is up.
    Well the 30 limit was part of the spec for this (it was a test for joining a team), but I think it looks good anyway. By "some greens", I guess you mean more scenery? Yeah, that's true. As for a finalised version, I'm not necessarily going to use it, remember, but if I do, I'll post it.

Years
  • I don't really have anything else to add other than the issues you've mentioned yourself. Perhaps if you tried to fix those, it'd be easier to rate. :)

Years
  • How's this for a cave map?

Name: Souterran Cave (from French "sous-terrain" meaning underground)
    Comments: It's my first cave map, so criticism is very welcome. An item ball or two will be added soon; I've yet to add it to the tileset. I've noticed a rock or two over the rock faces, so ignore those when criticising.
    Tiles by Kyledove (as always).
    Map Rating Thread
    EDIT: Forgot the size rule. Thumbnail added.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    My first rating.

Rated Map:
    How's this for a cave map?

Name: Souterran Cave (from French "sous-terrain" meaning underground)
    Comments: It's my first cave map, so criticism is very welcome. An item ball or two will be added soon; I've yet to add it to the tileset. I've noticed a rock or two over the rock faces, so ignore those when criticising.
    Tiles by Kyledove (as always).
    Map Rating Thread
    EDIT: Forgot the size rule. Thumbnail added.

Rating: 7

Reason: The map needs more tiles.
    Some of the rocks don't have backs making them look like they are not a separate level.
    If I need to be more specific, pm me.

Suggestions:
    The above, and add some extra rooms for exploring.

Years
  • I understand about the lack of backs. I was lazy and thought that because they were so far away, the player would never see them, so I didn't bother to do it.
    More tiles? In what way? I'd rather you elaborate here, if that's ok. :)

If I were to expand, I'd probably make more rooms through the door in the west, so you'd have lots to explore. :)

Years
  • This is the first map for the game i am making in RMXP. Thanks to Kyledove for the Sinnoh tiles. :D

Map Rating Thread

Constructive criticism i would love! :D

Tah~

Last edited:
    Years
  • For a first try, it looks pretty good :) Here are my thoughts:

- The edges of your map are too thin. If players go to the edge, they'll see blackness where the tiles end
    - The trees on the very edge on the right are wrong (simple fix)
    - Why is there a sand path in the top-left? It doesn't seem to lead anywhere, and feels out of place
    - The tree lines are a bit too straight in my opinion. Try experimenting with different variations
    - If you're not intending there to be a secret route through the water, you'll need to block it off in some way ;)
    - Maybe there's just a tad too much open space

Other than that, it's looking good! :D Keep experimenting with different maps and you'll keep getting better, I'm sure :)

Here's another one of mine:

Crossbranch Town
    Made in RMXP; Tiles by Kyledove

Map Rating Thread

It's the first town you come to after leaving your starter town. In my opinion, it needs a little more scenery.

Years
  • For a first try, it looks pretty good :) Here are my thoughts:

- The edges of your map are too thin. If players go to the edge, they'll see blackness where the tiles end
    - The trees on the very edge on the right are wrong (simple fix)
    - Why is there a sand path in the top-left? It doesn't seem to lead anywhere, and feels out of place
    - The tree lines are a bit too straight in my opinion. Try experimenting with different variations
    - If you're not intending there to be a secret route through the water, you'll need to block it off in some way ;)
    - Maybe there's just a tad too much open space

Other than that, it's looking good! :D Keep experimenting with different maps and you'll keep getting better, I'm sure :)

-Don't worry that image has been cropped ;)
    -Thanks for that i shall fix it now :D
    -Im going to make it that you can visit more places out that way once you receive surf. So i thought maybe it would be fine there. Might change it
    -I will try that too :D
    -Same as 2 above
    -Mayeb i will fill it up more then :D

Thanks a lot for that :D

Edit: Changed it a bit.

Here's another one of mine:

Crossbranch Town
    Made in RMXP; Tiles by Kyledove

Map Rating Thread

It's the first town you come to after leaving your starter town. In my opinion, it needs a little more scenery.
    I like the layout of it :D
    I agree with what you said where it could do with a bit more scenary. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. :D

Last edited:

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • Map Name: Lunar* colony

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: A colony on the moon, I guess, it has a biodome, a town, and a mini-forest. I know, there are a lot of tile problems, but rmxp is having trouble processing the layers of some tiles that I made.

Mapshot: https://img38.imageshack.us/i/lunarcolony.png/
    sorry, I have to post a link again, the map is too big

Credits: alistar for alot of tiles and palets

*Lunar, from the Latin word Luna, meaning moon

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    The color of the moon rock look too blue. It's almost the same color of the sea, which i mistook it for at first

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Map Name: Lunar* colony

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: A colony on the moon, I guess, it has a biodome, a town, and a mini-forest. I know, there are a lot of tile problems, but rmxp is having trouble processing the layers of some tiles that I made.

Mapshot: https://img38.imageshack.us/i/lunarcolony.png/
    sorry, I have to post a link again, the map is too big

Credits: alistar for alot of tiles and palets

*Lunar, from the Latin word Luna, meaning moon
    Some of it looks like it would be too empty when walking, also it is too blue, way too blue. In fact, there is no if any blue on the moon. o_o Tile problems but I wont take off for that since you already know.

So..I have to give it a 6/10

Back