• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Fascist baby.
    Years
    My memories of Red

I got this game exactly 10 years ago. The first thing I remember is the sprite of my Squirtle. I remember thinking that it was the cutest thing ever and that I didn't want to let it evolve. Eventually I did, and eventually it became a Blastoise.

I remember that the back sprite of my Blastoise looked awful, which is the case of many pokemon I guess. It added to the lovableness. I remember my Blastoise's moveset. Bite, Bubblebeam, Body Slam and Surf. Those moves saw it through about 60 levels and ultimately to level 100. I've never trained a pokemon to level 100 since that Blastoise.

The only other pokemon I remember of my Red team was a Starmie. I remember thinking that it was just the prettiest thing that I had ever seen. It was like a piece of jewellery from outer space. <3

Also I had an obsession with Jigglypuff and spent hours in that route between Pewter and Mt. Moon catching them, but never using them. I had a similar fixation with Pikachus in Viridian Forest. Also with Tauros in Safari Zone. |D

When it comes to the story I remember feeling terribly sad when I climbed out of the S.S. Anne and it sailed away. I remember the tune very clearly.

I remember never going into Dark Cave. It was too scary.

I remember accidentally wasting the Eevee I got in Celadon with a water stone. Not that I don't like Vaporeon, just at the time I would have loved a Jolteon and hated myself for ages for making the mistake. :/

I remember being so frustrated when I receiving the Lapras. I wanted to use it but I already had two water types in my team. x_x Gah.

I remember the first time I saw Chansey in the Safari Zone. It was amazing. There's still some excitement when I see one today.

I'll probably edit this. And post memories of Crystal at a later stage.

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    RBY; Getting stuck in Viridian Forest, giving up. Worshipping my pikachu. Thinking I beat the game after the first gym leader. Being angry about not being able to see my game in the car at night.{we didn't have one of those hangover light things. D: } Ohyeah, and deleting my brother's file.

GSC; Too many to name. I was a bit older while playing these. {I could actually read/understand the concept of the game, I mean. lol. } Beating the kimono sisters. Getting lost all of the time. Naming my character God instead of Gold by accident. Catching sneasel. Playing the game whenever I was sick during the winter. Avoiding battles if I could. Always choosing cyndaquil as my starter.

daf

Years
    Before emulators were any decent...playing through Gold, in Japanese, when I was 10. It took me like six months to get through it. I was so proud of myself, I beat the entire game including Red...

...then I lent it to my friend who deleted my save.

Last edited:
    Years
    Evolving Eevee into Vaporeon, thinking I could then evolve that into Flareon, then Jolteon (XD). Evolving my Pikachu at level 3, only to figure out that its best move would be Thundershock. XP
    *Gasp* Omg, this is ttly me! I remembered the Pikachu thing, but I had completely forgotten the Eevee thing! I was like "This is the greatest pokemon EVUR. Wait, why won't it evolve anymore?"

Thus Vaporeon was my first Eeveelution. ^_^ I've loved it ever since.

Spending who knows how long trying to get past the cut tree in Ilex Forrest.
    Then finding myself stuck again trying figure out how to get past that Sudowoodo!
    Lmao, multiple tree fail! My problems were always with caves, considering I only carried my starter (Charmander) and had the attention span of an infant, so I would wander aimlessly until Charmander fainted. x_x Luckily, there wasn't a happiness stat back then, so fainting wasn't all that big of a deal, really. In fact, Charmander got quite a level boost re-battling Misty repeatedly from my lack of type matchup comprehension.
    Being angry about not being able to see my game in the car at night.{we didn't have one of those hangover light things. D: }
    Ah yes, the car rides.

Me: Um, could you turn on the light?
    Parents in unison: No.
    Me: Why?
    Me: Why?

Times infinity. Well, until we arrived, anyway. ;) Sometimes I would try to use the headlights from other cars and streetlights to see, lmao

A few more that came to mind reading posts:

-Believing that Weedle had a higher encounter rate in the square-shaped patch near the entrance to Viridian Forest. Sometimes I still search there in FR/LG, just for kicks. :P
    -Total lack of type-matchup knowledge. ffffffffff
    -Catching Moltres with a pokeball via crazy luck.
    -Being lost for hours upon hours in Tin Tower. I still hate that place.....
    -The above, except insert Whirl Islands.
    -Trading my Yellow version pikachu away to another version so I could evolve it, followed by confusion as to why it didn't follow me around as a Raichu.
    -Missingno glitch. ;)
    -Trying to comprehend that ghosts were pokemon, too, and then wondering if my pokemon would die. o_O
    -Wasting a masterball on a trainer's pokemon.
    -Being ttly creeped out by the Ruins of Alph, followed by dissapointment that there was nothing super awesome in there. But I do enjoy the puzzles, though.
    -Realizing how huge Dark Cave was, multiple exits and such.
    -Finding rare pokemon like Teddiursa, Dunsparce, and Skarmory by myself. <3

I'll post more later, I'm sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2011
    My first time playing pokemon red, I choose charmander as my starter. I used him exclusively through mt. moon. Then misty stumped me, I could not beat her. My Chameleon was like lv 30. One of my friends traded me a pikachu, and I finally was able to beat her.

hectord25

It's so Dark here
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    When i battle red in mt.Silver,i was surprised,he sent out a Pikachu,hahaha.
    Too when i traveled Kanto,and when i get my espeon(and at last,an umbreon)

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2010
    R/B/Y
    -the "Mew glitch" in Vermillion City by surfing by the SS Anne. I remember trading over a Victreebel and Blastoise from Red to Blue to get there.
    -the Mew glitch in Blue (Lavender town; it actually worked!)
    -Missingno. and the level 128 Charmeleons... Bahaha. Infinite Rare Candies. (too bad I didn't know about EVs...)
    -Calling the Elite 4 the "Eliot 4" because I was like 7 years old when Red was out.
    -nicknaming my first ever starter, Squirtle, Squirt. It's been that way ever since.

G/S/C
    -choosing Totodile as my first starter
    -getting Lugia for the first time
    -riding the Magnet Train
    -hating Team Rocket, specifically the part in Mahogany Town and Goldenrod City
    -TOGEPI
    -KINGDRA! <3

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
    Red (In japanese): (7~10 at that time)
    Named my hero in japanese words (it'll sound like AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH) and naming my rival the same thing :P since I don't understand Japanese

Green (Japanese again):
    Stuck in Vermillion City and trained my beloved Blastoise to Lv 56...

Blue (English):
    Found the bike shop and went in.
    Guess what? I talked to the guy who said one bike costs like 100,000,000,000,000 AND I stupidly went selling my things up, battling trainers and still couldn't get the right amount :tired:

Yellow (Chinese 0.o):
    Unbelievably, Pikachu's thundershock can destroy brocks geodude and onix 0.o It's really wierd but it's true...

Gold: Realizing that I bought a fake one :knockedou Stuck in Goldenrod for weeks - months because of the Sudowoodo.:knockedou

Crystal: Caught a Suicune with a masterball...:cer_pissed:

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
    Years
    I would say just playing the game for the first time was the coolest for me, because I'd seen the tv show and all that, and then I bought a gameboy pocket from a friend and got pokemon blue, and it was just awesome. I would try to do everything ash does, like get a weedle and evolve it and stuff. I love that game.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    just bthe whole 6 games makes me wish those days were still here where still here those games were good

gunjackSmoker

Rogue Trainer
    Years
    My memories from Crystal

Doing radio quizzes to get rare candies every day.
    Giving mom money that she spent on crap like potions.
    Didn't know how to evolve a Weepinbel into Victreebel.
    Hunting Entei that kept using Roar on me.
    Hard training after beating Red for nothing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2016
    yea silver was the best. i had strong pokemon and was really good. but one thing i seem to remember is somehow seeing a snorunt in my silver. was that just me or has anyone else seen hoenn pokemon in GSC?

Blazing Charmander

The Stray Pokemon
    Years
    RBY:
    - Getting Red and Blue for Christmas in 2000, and favouring Blue way more playing it through Stadium because I didn't have a GameBoy.
    - Finding Pikachu in Viridian Forest for the first time with its adorable fat sprite.
    - Starting with Bulbasaur on my first Blue file, and soon after transferring my prize Charmander from Stadium (through beating Gym Leader Castle) which disobeyed me. I thought that this was probably normal of the Charmander line due to the behaviour of Ash's Charizard lol! Both Pokemon are on my current Blue file, my first ever Pokemon now being a Venusaur at Lv55, and my overused Charizard being one of only two of my Lv100s ever. Venusaur stayed as an Ivysaur for the longest time due to Charizard sweeping me through my first Blue file.
    - Accidentally catching a Krabby in Seafoam Islands with a Master Ball.
    - Missingno!
    - Thinking that one of the NPC's overworld sprites was a person with insect legs lol.
    - Calling my Blastoise on my second Blue file (my current one) "Shellshock" after the Shellshocker from Pokemon the First Movie (accursed ten character limit!), and inspired by my childhood friend who did the exact same thing.
    - All the happy times taking my Stadium, Red and Blue games over to the aforementioned friend's house, and discovering new things and fun ways to play the games.
    - Believing in many of the fake cheats/glitches posted in magazines and on the internet such as Bill's Garden, the Pokegods and the ability to get Togepi.

G/S/C:
    - Finding my first Shiny - a Pidgey south of Ecruteak, and thinking that it and the Red Gyarados were the only shinies in the game... until I found a shiny Geodude in Rock Tunnel some months after. Both died along with my corrupted first Silver file.
    - Starting my first Silver file with Totodile.
    - My surprise at seeing Croconaw for the first time in Silver as I didn't know half of the Johto Pokemon. In hindsight, its Gold and Silver sprites were horrendous.
    - Abusing the hell out of my Silver using my Xploder and Xploder Lite cheat cartridges to catch unobtainable Pokemon and shinies. A route I feel ashamed about going down. :(
    - Taking my games into school either for games days (i.e. last days of term like Christmas and Summer where you could take in games and toys) or at home time to show off and trade with my friends.

Years
    gsc -

-having a crush on Silver and being happy everytime he battled me
    -tried to do the missingno glitch in the kanto region
    -being extremely excited when Suicune shook 3 times in the pokeball so I thought I had it but it broke free =[
    -walking around in ilex forest for hours hoping that celebi would appear
    -realizing that goldenrod gym was clefairy shaped
    -catching a scyther in the bug-catching contest, knowing I'd win - only to find a caterpie winning instead
    -being freaked out by the creepy herb lady in underground path
    -figuring out a way to catch the legendary dogs in less than an hour
    -going to kanto and finding out there were no legendary birds - made me sad
    -figuring out you could cut grass so I did on route 11 and it froze my game and made a weird glitchy noise which freaked me out
    -smashing my gameboy in frustration when I tried a billion times to catch ho-oh and the batteries flew out and I lost all progress

and..

-was curious as to WHY TEAM ROCKET GRUNTS FEMALE SPRITE WAS CASSIDY, BUT THE MALE SPRITE WASN'T BUTCH!
    -catching my Lugia with ONE great ball, dealing NO damage to it - major wtf moment

rby-

-freaked out when I got missingno
    -scared as hell at rocket hideout's music and the spinny platform things
    -while doing the missingno glitch, lol'd at the old man on the roof of cinnabar gym
    -trying to teach my pikachu surf
    -was confused as to why the ship didn't leave when I was on it, and left after I got off
    -started a new game, but transferred a bunch of lvl 50s from my pokemon crystal so I'd have super powerful pokemon from the very start - disappointed in finding out they wouldn't obey me, so it actually took me longer to get through the game than it would with normal starter pokemon

Ayselipera

- Not knowing how to save
    - Picking Cyndaquil everytime because I couldn't figure out how to get the other pokemon
    - I thought the pink flowers were coins
    - Mispronouncing everything because I didn't learn how to read until a year after of getting the game.

RBY

- I didn't know how to switch around pokemon
    - Lost my bearings in Rock Tunnel
    - Was ko'ed by Dugtrios almost everytime I entered Diglett cave.

.. you know all the good memories<3

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    R/B/Y
    - Nicknamed my Squirtle "Tit"
    - Getting through Rock Tunnel without flash
    - Thinking there was secret patch of grass east of route 1 with all sorts of rare and powerful Pokemon, only later to find out it was just empty space
    - Constantly tried to find the elusive "Pikablu" and other "PokeGods"
    - Missingno and M'
    - Discovering the Mew glitch
    - Caught Mewtwo at full health with just a Pokeball
    - Battling my brother and losing every time because he used Rare Candies

G/S/C
    - Naming my rival "???"
    - Getting tricked by friend that Vileplume evolved into Bellosom and also could decrease in levels
    - Same friend tricked me out of my second metal coat, so I couldn't get Steelix in that file
    - Almost fainted after evolving my Pupitar, Tyranitar has been one of my favorites ever since
    - Trading Mew to Silver and raising it to Level 100
    - Completed my entire Pokedex sans Celebi, in my original Crystal file
    - Catching Heracross after headbutting trees for hours on end
    - Cloning Pokemon constantly to get multiple Masterballs
    - Losing to that bastard Nick at the Bug Catching Contest almost every time (I was so happy when I finally beat him by catching a Scyther)

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
    Yellow: Playing my friend JB's game, which at the time I had no idea what to do and wandered about Viridian City and Route 1 aimlessly.

Blue/Yellow: Getting my own games... oooh how exciting! I got them both for my 10th birthday and played like a madman. I remember being really excited and proud of myself when I beat the Elite Four in Blue for the first time.

And then I caught Missingno and screwed it all up two "Play-throughs" later.

Gold/Crystal: Catching Ho-oh and meeting Eusine, respectively, were some of my best memories of these games. Ironicly, the E4 isn't in here (nor is Kanto) because I haven't beaten them... yet. Still, good times, good times...

Game Over

I'll hee Save the ho world!
    Years
    Red/Blue/Yellow

Catching every last Pokemon there was. And then hearing that Gold and silver would come out soon...Made me so angry making me catch more of those little buggers.
    Making my Squirtle evolve into Blastoise and beating anyone who dared challenged him!
    Using my blue version to beat the Elite 4 in 4 hours!
    Finding out the Missingno cheat and abusing it to high heck.
    Catching a Missingno only to find out...He didn't kill my game like all my other friends.

Gold/Silver/Crystal
    Almost catching them all...Stupid Celebi!
    Being so surprised finding I could go back to the first games area!
    Admiring that Theif of a rival!
    Always beating my Brothers Super Typhlosion with my Feraligatr! It would always bring my Feraligatr to about 30 HP with one attack, A Hydro Pump would then one hit his PKMN every time!
    Putting in over 300 hours into my Gold version.
    Finding out that for some reason certain stations would keep the legendary Dogs in one spot long enough for me to catch them all. Maybe it was just some extreme luck but I think it was the Radio station..

Last edited:

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
    G/S/C:
    -The first time I played through, I remember the battle with Lance. It was between his final Dragonite and my Feraligatr. I had no potions/revives left. Little did I know at the time, Dragonite are weak to Ice x4. I used Ice Punch in the hope that it would freeze him, but when it OHKO'd instead, I was very happy. :D

-Laughing at the Grunt in Kanto with the bad English.

-Discovering the 3 starter glitch.

-Finding Red.. at the time my Pokemon were level 60.. it was a big shock when I saw his level 81 Pika.

-Bug Catching Contest.. ah..

-Dark Cave's music. <3

R/B/Y:
    -Getting the game from a 13 year old when I was 6.

-Never finding Flash and going through all the caves in the dark.

-Mah Blastoise.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    I remember spending 2 hours trying to catch ho-oh with my one ultra ball i was so happy when he finally stayed in =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back