• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstatic

Chilling out.
Years
  • Remember how your Mom or dad would always tell you to turn it off, because it was getting late? I sure do. My mother would always come in and tell me to shut it off, then tuck me in. I would simply get out, turn on my Gameboy, Then pop myself under the bed and play, I remember one time me and my pal were both doing ignoring my moms orders, and going under my bed, just to play some more pokemon Gold. Good times, those are the moments you will never forget.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 1, 2010
    RBY:
    -Picking Charmander and dying against brock like 4000, only to go back and find a Mankey near the Indigo Leauge Gate to destroy Brock.
    -Getting REALLY excited about catching a Pikachu in Viridian Forest
    -Playing the games so much that after the second time you don't need the Town Map.
    -Naming your rival "Butthead" or other variations. xD
    -Sitting in your friends lap to battle against eachother because the cords were short.
    -MISSINGNO

G/S/C
    -Getting an egg at the Daycare.
    -The Pokegear being the coolest thing EVER.
    -The great success of beating Whitney's friggin' MILTANK.
    -Re-living Kanto

EDIT: Ecstatic: I was always like, 'WAIT MOM IM IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE! GOSH!"

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Chilling out.
    Years
  • Yeah, there you go! You would always argue about how you were in a battle, and barely knew what you were talking about with them, then, next thing you know, your yelling: "Wait, no, I need to save, I will lose my badge, waaaiiiittt!" And so on. Man, those were the times.. :)

KillehKiwi

Fluent in Sarcasm.
    Years
  • Lets seee....

R/B/Y ;

~Not understanding that I couldn't go on Victory Road until I had all 8 badges, and screaming when I couldn't find a way past... (I was pretty little when I first played Red, so give me a break!)

~Also not understanding that I couldn't go into Giovanni's Gym til much later....

~Searching FOREVER in Viridian Forest to find a Pikachu.

~HATING GARY.

~Wanting to join Team Rocket. Just because.

~Hating Bulbasaur with a passion.

~..... when 'Bite' or 'Scratch' actually DAMAGES a rock Pokemon.

~WANTING BROCK AND MISTY TO COME WITH MY ON MY JOURNEYY! ;D

G/S/C ;

~Getting mad when I couldn't talk to my Rival without getting pushed away.... at the beginning... and wondering why he was looking in the window... creeper.

~NOT BEING ABLE TO BEAT THE GAME! (I never did, actually. I still have my ORIGINAL Gameboy, and my original Gold and Silver, but they won't save anymore.... I was still pretty young when I had it...)

~Getting Cyndaquil every. Single. Time. ;D

BOTH ;

'Okay, moom! I'll go to bed now!' *Ten minutes later, in bed* ...-pulls out gaming device from under pillow slowly- :D!

NO! NOT NOW! BATTLING, MOTHER! >.< NOO! NO! Awwwe, do you know how hard I worked beating him/her? Now i'll have to do it all over.... >.<

Your mom thinking you're speaking a foreign language when you try to explain Pokemon to her. ;D

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
  • I still remember when I was little and believed everything I read on the internet. Considering this, it's really shocking I never ruined my game with all the Game Shark Codes I tried.

I was also really stupid when I first started playing; I had no idea how to get out of the house!

I also believed that "Doomsday" was a real Pokemon and tried so hard to find him xD

Wooly

zX
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2013
    All these games were my childhood.

R/B/Y: So so many memories on this game. Rare Candying all my Pokémon to level 100 and having the most epic link battles with my cousins and friends. I never got tired of this game, and I think my saved game from 10 years ago might still be on the cartridge. I'll have to check tomorrow! Oh and I remember being stuck in Mt. Moon for over a month when I first got the game because I had no idea how to play :P

G/S/C: Always thought these were awesome games. The Box glitch, getting all 16 badges, etc. Not as many memories as Red and Blue, but these games were really good.

R/S/E: I rememeber buying Ruby when it first came out in 2004. My GBA SP was blinking red as soon as I slid the game in. I had over at least 700 hours on all the games combined. I regret selling my DS now because on my Diamond I had the Swampert that I got from playing through Ruby. I never cared for EV's and IV's, but I remember it's Speed was an awful 181 but I could dominate anything with it for some reason. And I would always brag how I could best the entire Elite 4 with just a Swampert.

It's pretty safe to say Pokémon was my entire childhood :D

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Pokemon yellow...
    •loving how pikachu followed me (I would walk back and forth just to watch it follow)
    •hating Brock - evil
    •Mom: "Put it up." Me: "I can't save yet, I'm in a battle, just a minute" 5 mins later... Mom: "What did I say?" Me: "Um... I don't remember?"
    •believing what was on the internet- when I read somewhere that you couldn't run from a single wild battle and realized I had run, I was mad and would have restarted my game if I hadn't been nearly finished with it (the no-running-from-wild-battles is a habit I can't get rid of now, it's almost annoying- I use sooo many repels)

Years
  • Yellow was the first game I played. And one of my first memories was that me and my brother tried our hardest to find out why his pikachu on his red version would not follow him like mine did. We still didn't know why his pikachu didn't do this a year or so after. Then we finally found the internet and found out why.. x] Remember, this was like what.. '98? So I was nine and he was seven.

Another fond memory was my blastoise. Well, it was on my brother's game... but I was the one who leveled it up for him. I got it all the way to level 100. He never used Blastoise though... ended up restarting the whole game. I lost all my hard work. But, I can remember the joy I got from leveling up that pokemon. I just thought Blastoise was so cool. And I still love it to this day.

I think the biggest memory was when I finally got to play a female on crystal. U: I criiiiiied tears of joy. It's like.. catching all the legendary pokemons on your first time with a pokeball. That's how happy I was.. x] Crystal turned out to be my favorite game of all time second to Gold and Yellow (which tie for first).

The hilarious memories are most of what others have on here.
    R/B/Y:
    1. I too did not know you could not go all the way to Victory Road.. D; I tried for I think a few hours trying to get over there. Finally I gave up.
    2. I named my rival such bad little names. None that I would show my mom or brother.... tehee~... doesn't really help that most of them were typo'd really badly because I didn't know how to spell curse words all that well.
    3. Getting stuck in every cave. U: Finally I learned how to get through them all. And now I can get through any cave and any puzzle with ease.
    4. Almost crapping myself when I first took on the elite four with REALLY bad pokemon. I didn't know how levels worked at first. I didn't understand type differences. It was a miracle I even defeated the gym leaders. I was such a slow nine year old. ><
    5. Being deathly afraid of Missingno. when other friends talked about it. I avoided that area you can find it in because of that glitch.. D: I avoided it like the plague.

G/S/C
    1. Naming my rival "???" also.. x]
    2. Freaking out when the egg hatched O:
    3. Countless hours I spent trying to catch the legendary pokemons in those games... lots of tears, blood, sweat, sleepless nights.. ;_____; Thank you for giving me childhood insomnia pokemon...

pokefan999

awesome trainer jake
    Years
  • i never played gold sliver crystal red blue green and yellow. i really want to play yellow because i want the 3 starters

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2018
    I thought it was so cool when I found out about the cloning and I made about 20 togepi's...still not sure why.

Michfan

Bodacious Intellectual
    Years
  • Pokemon Yellow, defeating the Elite Four for the first time when I was 9 years old.

I defeated my rival (who I named "Ash")'s Jolteon with a Psychic from my Alakazam...with 1HP left! It was my only Pokemon left, I had no revives, no healing items, NOTHING. I almost cried in relief when I beat "Ash". I still have that Alakazam today, even after ten years! :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    I remember I wanted all my Pokemon to enjoy the MASSIVE xp that a lvl8 Onix in Union Cave would give me. I let all my Pokemon battle him, then switch out so I could finish it with my starter.... then my mom switched off my gameboy. I remember being pissed off for the rest of the day...

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    -When my dad got me a GBC and Gold Version at age 8 :)
    -Choosing Cyndaquil and naming him "Fire Dude!"
    -Freaking out when I realized I couldn't run from trainer battles.
    -Feeling really good when I was able to beat Falkner and Bugsy on the first try.
    -The music of the route between Ilex Forest and Goldenrod City (also the music for Goldenrod-Ecruteak City and Mountain Road)
    -Never losing a single battle until up until Whitney's Miltank at Goldenrod City Gym, and -REALLY hating Miltank after that >.<
    -Having no problem defeating every Gym Leader from Morty to Pryce with total ease
    -Checking my Pokemon and realizing I had a Lv67 Typhlosion and Lv2-15 everything else
    -Getting stuck in Ice Path and crying because I couldn't use my Pokegear Phone inside of it, then realizing I had an Escape Rope along
    -Getting to Blackthorn City and being really happy about it
    -Not being able to beat Clair, and having a grudge against the Pokemon Kingdra because of it
    -Accidentally deleting my save file because I thought you could have more than one save game
    -Starting over with Totodile
    -Getting the 8th badge :D
    -Getting stuck at the E4
    -Figuring out that I needed to raise an even team of Pokemon, then beating the E4
    -The credits music (always gets me choked up)
    -Being able to explore Kanto and hear the remixed music
    -Getting the Kanto badges
    -Learning how to clone Pokemon
    -Learning how to breed Pokemon
    -Losing to Red repeatedly because his Snorlax would keep healing itself w/Rest and paralyzing my pokemon with Body Slam-Getting a GBA, a link cable and a used Red Version so I could get the RBY starters, legendaries and fossil pokemon too
    -Using the missingno trick to get a bunch of Lv100 pokemon and trading them to my Gold and Red really easily
    -Trading Pokemon with people at school
    -Mystery Gift :D
    -Training an all-Dragonite team
    -Getting Celebi and Mew from a kid with a gameshark
    -Getting a Pokedex "own" count of 212
    -Everyone at school being really impressed with how supposedly "good" I was at Gold & wanting to trade with me

and then...
    -Leaving my Gold version at a restaurant and never seeing it again :.(
    -Asking my friends if they're stoked about Pokemon Crystal only to get the response, "dude...isn't Pokemon kind of...out of style? It's all about Yu-Gi-Oh now."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • -Asking my friends if they're stoked about Pokemon Crystal only to get the response, "dude...isn't Pokemon kind of...out of style? It's all about Yu-Gi-Oh now."

Ow ow ow. :( I hated that crap, I really did. It's funny how Yu-Gi-Oh came and went faster than Pokemon, though. Sure, the cards are still around, but I know more Pokemon fans than Yu-Gi-Oh. Pokemon > YGO always in my book. ;) So I understand the pain and torture of YGO fans. I liked it myself, but not as much as Pokemon<3

-Leaving my Gold version at a restaurant and never seeing it again :.(

Happens to the best of us, sweetie. :'(

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
  • I remember...
    Begging my cousins if I could play one of their Pokemon games EVERY time that I went over my Grandma's house
    My Grandma finally going to Gamestop to buy me a used Pokemon Red copy, and the only Pokemon that I would catch would be Pidgey... I had boxes full of just Pidgey ^^;
    My Grandma giving me Pokemon Gold for Christmas one year
    My cousin giving me Pokemon Crystal because he had two of them and then every kid on the school bus was jealous of me because it was always like, impossible to find a copy of Crystal at any game stores in the area.
    Never being able to beat Jasmine on Gold
    My cousins teasing me because I picked Chikorita as my starter
    My cousins refusing to trade me Charmander D;
    My rival in Red always saying 'Smell ya later.' I always thought that was REALLY weird XP
    The Pokemon Tower would always creep me out
    Always trading Pokemon with this kid on the bus, I was like a god because I was one of the few people with a Link Cable
    And finally.... The music in Lavender town T_T That gave me nightmares!

Ahh.... The memories T_T

ahungryhamster

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2018
    My first ever Master Ball in Silver. I used it on an Abra because I didn't know how else to catch one before it escaped.

Years
  • my favorite moment being a little kid before i could read asking my parents "what does this say?" only to learn my charmander was evolving after my first day playing and jumping so high i fell and stunted my game and precoded to cry =) if only that was the height of my problems now =( oh the agony...

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    My Crystal is long gone now but I can remember quite a bit.

- One was desperately trying to beat Red (Ash) with only 2 decent Pokemon, a level 70 something Typhlosion and a level 60 something Golem. Back then (I was about 6 or 7 years old), I never bothered training my team equally XD

- In Pokemon Blue, abusing every glitch I could find. Missingno. hunts were the best :) As well as trying to beat Gary xD Man I sucked back then.

- When I was only 4, I played my first Pokemon game. Pokemon Red, I only got up to Brock and I cried because his Onix always beat me :'(

I could probably remember more, but that's it for now :P

Last edited:

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
  • Here's a few thing I remember most about those good 'ole games.

Killing every shiny because I had no Pokeball.

Finally defeating Morty only to discover my GBA had run out of power.

Having my cousin releasing all my Pokemon except a level 5 Magikarp.

Finally defeating Morty. (Saving it this time)

Failing miserable to wake up the Snorlax in Kanto.

Taking a newly hatched Dratini and turning her into a glorious Lv.94 Dragonite.

Challenging Red with her and being blown to peices by Blastioses Blizzard.

Ah... Good times... XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back