• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meta Discussion: Jolteon

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    This is the third featured meta discussion topic, this time focusing on Jolteon. To discuss the previous featured Pokémon:

Dewgong: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=381360
    Wigglytuff: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9456704

Jolteon

Base stats:

Max CP: 2140*
    Attack: 192 ||||||
    Defense: 174 |||||
    Stamina: 130 |||||

* Level 40 with perfect IVs

Movesets:

Quick Moves:
    Thunder Shock
    » Power: 5
    » Cooldown: 0.6 seconds

Charge Moves:
    Thunder
    » Power: 100
    » Charge:

» Cooldown: 4.3 seconds

Thunderbolt
    » Power: 55
    » Charge:

» Cooldown: 2.7 seconds

Discharge
    » Power: 35
    » Charge:

» Cooldown: 2.5 seconds

Info:

Jolteon, like basically all Electric-type Pokémon in Pokémon GO, is extremely fragile and underpowered compared to most competitive Pokémon. Jolteon doesn't have the highest Attack stat (Raichu does), nor the highest Defense stat (Magneton does), and is tied for highest Stamina (with Electabuzz) at a measly 130. This is due to Pokémon GO pulling actual Gen. VI base stats from the core series games and plugging them into a formula that does not fairly represent glass cannon sweepers. For more information on the calculations, see here.

Jolteon is, at least in the Electric-type vacuum, arguably the most balanced one stat-wise. Here's a demo video that shows parts of how explosive Jolteon can be for offense and how incredibly fragile it is at the same time. The very definition of a glass cannon.

Stats for Jolteon in the video:
    CP1598, IV: 88.9% - 15/10/15, Thunder Shock/Thunder

Yes, Jolteon is capable of taking down Pokémon higher CP, but in most cases, beefy Water-type Pokémon like Vaporeon or Poliwrath would be better matched up with beefy Grass-types like Exeggutor or Venusaur. In addition, Flying-types are far and in between in most Gyms. This doesn't mean Jolteon can't hold its own when called upon, it's just that usually there are much better options out there.

Do you like Jolteon? Have you used one in Gym battles before? If so, what's your experience?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I've used Jolteons in the gym and they fare poorly. It doesn't make sense to me that the Eevee evolution with the strongest attack (Vaporeon) also gets the most HP. I like the animation with Jolty leaping around madly, but in my experience I keep seeing "Super Effective!" and the Vaporeons HP is barely moving. Then I miss a dodge and Jolty is toast.

But Raichu seems if anything worse. His tail attack looks cool but is slow, and also barely seems to do anything. I have an army of six Parasects with Solar Beam that I use to carve up Vaporeons, and I have defeated ones with twice their CP. I also have a killer VilePlume but I pumped it over 2000 CP and now it is usually stuck in a gym. I have two Executors but neither of them has a grass attack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I want at least one good jolteon, just as tech against Gyarados because these are quite common in arena.

Gyarados has a double weakness against electro attacks, and Jolteon has no weakness against any attack Gyarados can have.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Am I the only one who thinks Jolteon is a good attacker? I can easily take down 2 Vaporeon's with higher CP just with the one Jolteon

Plants are much better because not only do they do additional damage against water, they also take less damage, and then there is STAB solar beam. Also the CP ceiling for the likes of exeggutor, vileplume, victreebell and venusaur is 2500+ (or 2495), much higher than any electro types apart from the still missing zapdos.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Plants are much better because not only do they do additional damage against water, they also take less damage, and then there is STAB solar beam. Also the CP ceiling for the likes of exeggutor, vileplume, victreebell and venusaur is 2500+ (or 2495), much higher than any electro types apart from the still missing zapdos.

That's discrimination towards electric types tbh..

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    That's discrimination towards electric types tbh..
    Unsure if you're joking, but stats are facts. Grass-types like Exeggutor, Venusaur, Vileplume, Victreebel all have way higher potential in matching up against Water-types than any Electric-type currently in the game.

That's not to say something like Jolteon is completely unuseable, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    jolteon is one my favorite. jolteon is one of the few that i use the most to battle/train because there are too many vaporeons/gyarados and dragonites.

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
    Unsure if you're joking, but stats are facts. Grass-types like Exeggutor, Venusaur, Vileplume, Victreebel all have way higher potential in matching up against Water-types than any Electric-type currently in the game.

That's not to say something like Jolteon is completely unuseable, though.

Yes, was joking. Just playing with him after a foolish statement he made in another thread, lol.

Obviously the tank-like grass types are better, but I was just saying Jolteon isn't that bad at all for me, especially seeing as it's one of them special attackers that are mostly way weaker in Pokemon go (Alakazam, Gengar, ect). I don't have a Vileplume or Victrebell (or any other grass type for that matter) with two grass type moves so I tend to use Jolteon the most, besides Jolteon completely wrecks Gyarados and mine has almost perfect iv's with the best moveset.

Back