• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MetalFlygon08's turn to Schlime!

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Hiya, bet yer all expecting a horrible paste pidgeot's wings to a machop sprite, or a bad recolor, both claiming to be new pokeon.
    Well this newbie, whose been lurking about forever says no.
    I have many sprites, but I'll only upload my newer ones here.
    Presenting!

I got the inspiration while taking the dogs out to go bathroom, and I saw a snail, it was in mother's oregino!
    I thought "If I was French, you'd be escargo served with a leaf of oregino" and it hit me!
    Escargot (Escargo+tot) is a small snail that hides in wet places. The leaf on it smells of a strong herb. (Inspiration, Escargo with Oregino)
    Escarganta(Escargo+Gigantic) is a cone snail, that moss and mold has over grown.
    If someone has some C&C, or a good BST for these 2, please tell me.

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    wow! Awesome concept, awesome sprites, the only problem I see are two (somewhat unnoticeable) Right angles on Escargot's back sprite..... see the attachment. Awesomeness is an understatement, so keep up the uber work!

Last edited:

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016

I think I got it, btw name suggestions for the hummingbird and it's Peacock evolution?

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Got what? you didn't change Escargot at all.....

the peacocks are good!

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012

I think I got it, btw name suggestions for the hummingbird and it's Peacock evolution?

I really like the style you use, it's adorably impressive, and the color schemes you pick are pleasing to the eye and fit well with the official sprite. ;D
    I'm also amazed by how you find inspiration. I'm not the only one here then. xD There are some tiny errors in your sprites though.

Esarganta could use some smoothing out for the spiral part of the shell's outline. I'd also reduce the shading on the different parts of the shell a little and add a bit more black to the outline there.
    For the hummingbird, the only thing I could spot now is how the long curly tail feathers need a somewhat darker outline. The evolution could also use some more work on it's wing too, and even though the dithering there gives a similar effect, I'd still try to make the feathers a bit more prominent (take a look at Pidgey's sprite and you might find it useful for reference).

Name suggestions ... ? Hm ... How about Lordae for the hummingbird? The name is derived from the words 'color' + 'Trochilidae (Trochilidae happening to be the scientific name of the hummingbird family).

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Nice name Dots! I vote for it! I think Pretidae or Predae for the evolution. ('Pretty' + 'Phasianidae'-the scientific name for a peacock. Plus it has P!)

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    P is for the WIN

I think I hit the right stuff I'll work on shinies later, and their icons!

and a request from altariaking.

Last edited:

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Those are pretty good! I like the concept. Though, I don't think the evo's head should be so flat. (there is a straight line)

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Those are all very nice. Do you find inspiration for all your sprites in the garden? I think it's really neat to make things inspired by the real-world.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    yes, I'm a garden prat, I love my garden and all the critters that I find there, I'm plannig a deer next, becuase one stumbled into our yard (and I think it was eyeing up the squash, but the dogs started barking)

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • I am jealous ;_; I wish I could shade like that. Oh well. 2 year spriter I am.. D=

I like the concepts. The sprites are pretty Flawless. But I see a small anatomy error detail on the Escargot.

Not that the anatomy is wrong or something but let's take a quick look. The sprite is nice. Nothing wrong with it. But if you take a look at both de backsprite and the front sprite you'll see what detail is quite wrong. Mainly the shell. (nintendo once made the same mistake with cloyster in the first gen.)

The problem is, the swirl. In the front sprite the swirl goes up while in the backsprite it goes down.

(lolya, I can catch details quite good.)

Years
  • these are all very good, especially the colors.

one thing i noticed about you hummingbirds evolution is that its shiny sprite's colors look to much like the originals colors to tell much of a difference between them.

i would suggest a color pallet like Swellow's from pokemon emerald because of the fact that it is differential from the peacocks color pallet and that the colors are almost opposite, making it much easier to differentiate the two.
    VS.
    see?

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Ha I just realized th swirl issue too!

btw most of theseare old, but here's my battle plan, FIX UP EACH OF MY OLD SPRITES to be on par with newer ones.

Years
    • Seen today
    These look pretty darn epic.

Is the second row your Grass and Water starters?

And you should update all of those to the first post, because some people might not have the patience to go through a few pages to look at your sprites.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Hmm... How should I say this...

The sprites are one of the best I've seen. The concepts are real nice, they're all life-like.
    The one thing that bothers me, though, is that the small Pokemon have small sprites. I understand you tried to make the Pokemon look small, but how about making the sprites a little bit bigger.

Keep up the awesome work!

Years
    • Seen today
    Wait a second...

I noticed that your evolutions tend to have the same palette. (Such as the Bug/Rock type)

If you take a look at Nintendo's sprites, even Pokemon of essentially the same color scheme still have different palettes, I guess it's for contrast and whatnot.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    Woah, metal, go back to Obsidian, I need yer help thud.
    Anyways, awesome sprites bro.
    It'se GodePuppy

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    I'd ove togo back to Obsidion, I just havn't seen any new pokemon designs (Then again, I have trouble findng it sometimes)

their smaller becuase they are for a FR size box, tough I'm going to make some in the 80x80 format.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I'd ove togo back to Obsidion, I just havn't seen any new pokemon designs (Then again, I have trouble findng it sometimes)

their smaller becuase they are for a FR size box, tough I'm going to make some in the 80x80 format.
    I know you're trying to make them 64x64. Escargot's sprite looks more like an icon, though. Make that one a bit bigger ;)

Back