• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Metalheads, UNITE! (No nu-metal or metalcore)

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    No nu-metal (Slipknot, Korn, Kittie, or the like)
    No metalcore (I include Lamb of God with this)

Only real stuff, be it Heavy Metal (Judas Priest, GWAR, Iron Maiden), Black Metal (Mayhem, Nachtmystium, Wolves in the Throne Room), Folk Metal (Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Turisas), or whatever else. BRING TRUE METAL TO THE POKECOMMUNITY!

NP: Finsterforst - Lauf Der Welt

Also, if you have a Last.fm profile, feel free to post it

https://www.last.fm/user/DavyJones4our

Comeon, there isn't a single other metalhead here?

Last edited by a moderator:

beau99

かすみ
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2008
    No nu-metal (Slipknot, Korn, Kittie, or the like)
    No metalcore (I include Lamb of God with this)

First of all, Slipknot isn't nu metal. To be nu metal, you have to have metal influences PLUS an x-factor that cancels the metal out. Slipknot has neither of these.

Second of all, if we can't name metalcore bands, then I can't name Living Sacrifice. They started out out as thrash metal and then changed to metalcore later. It would be no fair not being allowed to mention a great band like them in this thread.

What's wrong with metalcore, anyway?

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    First of all, Slipknot isn't nu metal. To be nu metal, you have to have metal influences PLUS an x-factor that cancels the metal out. Slipknot has neither of these.

Second of all, if we can't name metalcore bands, then I can't name Living Sacrifice. They started out out as thrash metal and then changed to metalcore later. It would be no fair not being allowed to mention a great band like them in this thread.

What's wrong with metalcore, anyway?

First of all, I do hope you're not trying to subtly imply that Slipknot is metal, because there is no way in God's Blue Hell that they are. They are hard rock, with very clear metal influence, and their x-factor is turntables and various rapping techniques. Slipknot is nu-metal.

Second of all, you CAN mention bands during their actual metal stages, just keep metalcore out.

The reason metalcore is so truly terrible, isn't that they have musicianship, its not just because I don't care for the sound it creates, it's not just because I loathe those various artists and fans with my heart. Its because when I try to make a topic to help bring REAL metal out to the masses all the children in here talk about are metalcore they see on MTV and Hot Topic, most of which they mention turns out to be more hardcore than metal (See: Bullet for my Valentine).

I'm here to talk about A Band of Orcs, Carach Angren, Alestorm, Leaves' Eyes, The Devin Townsend Band, Vintersorg, Eluveitie, Running Wild, Agalloch, Anorexia Nervosa, Gorod, Wormed, Origin, Decrepit Birth, Abysmal Dawn, and all the other bands out there who put their blood, sweat, tears, and energy of their souls into the adding of, playing, keeping true, and unperverting the true art, that not enough of us seem to take seriously, of metal.

beau99

かすみ
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2008
    I wasn't trying to imply anything about Slipknot, except that they don't have metal influences. They say so themselves!

Also, metalcore IS real metal. You're the only metal fan I've come across that disagrees. And believe me, one person I know is twice your age and has liked metal since it was invented.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    What's wrong with Metalcore? A7X are awesome :3

I'm more primarily focused on Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, OSI, LTE, Queensryche, Iced Earth and the like~

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    I wasn't trying to imply anything about Slipknot, except that they don't have metal influences. They say so themselves!

Also, metalcore IS real metal. You're the only metal fan I've come across that disagrees. And believe me, one person I know is twice your age and has liked metal since it was invented.

Age really doesn't matter, especially someone who was around when it first started. They were there when it began, maybe, sure. But they're not truly involved in it during now, the true golden age of metal. When more subgenres are coming out.

Funeral Doom, Folk, Sludge, Stoner, Grind, Drone Doom, Raw Black, Pagan, Viking, Death Progressive, Melodeath.

If you really can't hear the metal-influence in Slipknot, then you need to get your ears checked. They may not EXPLICITLY use metal-influence, but their subconsious very obviously had it rise up to their style. And you very well may live in an area where there aren't any modern-metalheads, so that's why I'm the ONE person who disagrees. If a person listens to only Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Heaven & Hell, Queensryche and the like, and that's their real only understanding of metal, then of course they're not gonna hear it.

But I can hear a lot of influence from Venom, Immortal, Mayhem, Emperor, Slayer, and various other bands from the early-mid 90's prevalent in Slipknot's work.

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    Some metalcore is really, really cool: ala Snapcase.

As for real metal though, I prefer sludge and doom and stoner metal to anything
    else.

Weedeater, Eyehategod, Crowbar, The Melvins, Sloth (myspace.com/slothdoom), Corrosion of Conformity, Boris, Electric Wizard...

Some drone is good too like Sunn O))) and Earth.

There's other stuff but those are main ones.

The Melvins are one of my three favorite bands.

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    Some metalcore is really, really cool: ala Snapcase.

As for real metal though, I prefer sludge and doom and stoner metal to anything
    else.

Weedeater, Eyehategod, Crowbar, The Melvins, Sloth (myspace.com/slothdoom), Corrosion of Conformity, Boris, Electric Wizard...

Some drone is good too like Sunn O))) and Earth.

There's other stuff but those are main ones.

The Melvins are one of my three favorite bands.

Ehh, I'm not big on Sun O))), and I've yet to check out Earth, but I want to. I'm not sure if it's Boris or Sigh, but they're gonna be coming around my area in a few months with uneXpect, so that should be cool.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Metalcore is a fusion genre that incorporates elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal.
    Nu metal is a musical genre that emerged in the mid 1990s which fuses influences from grunge and alternative metal with funk music, hip hop and various heavy metal genres, such as thrash metal and groove metal.
    I think it's more the fact that the two genres aren't "pure metal" than the notion that DaveyJones may simply loathe them.

Anyway, I'm not a metalhead, I don't take partake in the culture surrounding metal; I just listen to it and like it. Bands include Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Nightwish, Rammstein, Turmion Kätilöt and Wolfchant; all of which are either German or Finnish, funnily enough (good thing though, I'm not overly fond of English lyrics).
    I've some other stuff too... uh, Metallica, Trivium, and a bit of In Flames and Iron Maiden.

And whoever mentioned Kittie, thanks, I've been looking for an all-female band that plays something relatively heavy...

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    I think it's more the fact that the two genres aren't "pure metal" than the notion that DaveyJones may simply loathe them.

Anyway, I'm not a metalhead, I don't take partake in the culture surrounding metal; I just listen to it and like it. Bands include Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Nightwish, Rammstein, Turmion Kätilöt and Wolfchant; all of which are either German or Finnish, funnily enough (good thing though, I'm not overly fond of English lyrics).
    I've some other stuff too... uh, Metallica, Trivium, and a bit of In Flames and Iron Maiden.

And whoever mentioned Kittie, thanks, I've been looking for an all-female band that plays something relatively heavy...

Interesting on the Wolfchant name drop, and I've never heard of "Turmion Kätilöt" before, I'll check them out. Oh, and concerning all-female hard music bands, I highly reccomend Gallhammer (Japanese Black Metal), Hildr Valkyrie (one-woman Greek Folk Metal) and Astarte (Greek Black Metal).

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Black sabbath metallica dragonforce and lordi count right? Cause I listen to those and I consider them metal bands. So yeah long live metal

Chairzard

Professor oak finished chair
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2008
    I like Limp bizkit,Linkin park,Disturbed,Beastie boys and Rage against the machine

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    Black sabbath metallica dragonforce and lordi count right? Cause I listen to those and I consider them metal bands. So yeah long live metal

Black Sabbath, yep
    Metallica, their earlier works, yep
    Dragonforce, yep
    Lordi, haha, yep.

I like Limp bizkit,Linkin park,Disturbed,Beastie boys and Rage against the machine

Not a single one of those bands are metal, this thread is for metal ONLY!

Last edited:

MetalMEB

O_______O
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 18, 2012
    Wait metallica aint metal anymore?!
    No they aren't. They quit being thrash in the 90s.

Newayz... Imma c/p from my Myspace here...

Here we go...

Slayer; 80s Metallica; Megadeth; Black Sabbath(Ozzy); Type O Negative; Prong; Judas Priest; Danzig; Mastodon; Venom; Kyuss; Iced Earth; Exodus; God Dethroned; Corrosion of Conformity; Behemoth; Biohazard; Anthrax; Iron Maiden; Sepultura; Motorhead; Pantera; SuperJoint Ritual; Opeth; Ozzy Osbourne; Cannibal Corpse; Obituary; Bolt Thrower; Suicidal Tendencies; Enslaved; Suffocation; Kataklysm; Overkill; Meshuggah; Kreator; Down; Napalm Death; Lamb of God;(meh, you said not to list them but w/e) Black Label Society; Amon Amarth; Arch Enemy; Strapping Yound Lad; Tool; Alice in Chains; Children of Bodom; Monster Magnet; Nile; GWAR; High on Fire; Celtic Frost; and more

Meh, lotta mainstream stuff I guess... I don't know very many European bands, (or anywhere else) or anything like that like you do. (LoL over half the bands you named I don't know who they are >_<)

*Coughs* erm... So yep... That's my list... So far.

EDIT: Oh yeah, posters above just reminded me of something to add to my list that I forgot about... Devin Townsend band and Crowbar... I like them too. I bet there's probably a lot more too...

Last edited:

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    I am an anti-nu-metal and anti-metalcore elitist, as one would expect from somebody who listens to real metal regularly. I'm into Death/Control Denied, Autopsy, Atheist, Selloutallica, Incubus (no, not the new one. There was an American death metal band named Incubus in the 80s), Watchtower, Obituary, Massacre, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Weirmacht, Blind Guardian, and maybe once or twice in secret I listen to a Dragonforce song, even though they're not metal. The above list is from most listened to least listened on my playlist. Also note, I've been absent from last.fm for a long time, but you can search for me as Darkhaven3.

Last edited:

Joey who?

Joey.. Joey... Joey who?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    aww nu metals ok, deathcore, hardcore, metal core etc are washed up piles of crap.
    I love Cradle, Dimmu, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, C***eater, XXX Maniak, Intestinal Disgorge, Lymphatic Phlegm, Slayer, Behemoth, Megadeth, Behemoth and various others.

Back