• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] metapod23's Fakemon Sprites (Gigatt added)

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I have recently started trying to sprite the Fakemon I've created over the years, and I'd like some feedback. I don't consider myself to be the best spriter or digital artist, but these are much better than my first attempts some time ago. Below I have the Fakemon I've made so far. I will be adding more as I make them, most likely in Fakedex order. I'd like some feedback on them on what I can do to improve them, or what you think of them in general. Thanks! ^^

Fakemon 1 - 9 (starters)
    Spoiler:

Fakemon 10 - 18 (bug, bird, and first encounters)

Spoiler:

Fakemon 19 - 28

Spoiler:

Last edited:

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Hey, hopefully I will get some comments/constructive criticism sometime. In the meantime here is the next Fakemon and its evolutions:

metapod23's Fakemon Sprites (Gigatt added)

Glarvae
    Lightning Bug Pokémon
    Type: Bug/Electric

Chrysheen
    Chrysalis Pokémon

Elesect
    Lightning Bug Pokémon

Rayshin

Lurking to the max.
    Years
  • I like your fakemon, they're very clean and natural-looking.

Alloyus looks like it has a very tight crotch, haha. Maybe add in a bit of a small bulge to make it look more natural? And also replace the dark outline on Elesect's bulb with a slightly lighter shade, it looks out of place imo.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I like your fakemon, they're very clean and natural-looking.

Alloyus looks like it has a very tight crotch, haha. Maybe add in a bit of a small bulge to make it look more natural? And also replace the dark outline on Elesect's bulb with a slightly lighter shade, it looks out of place imo.

Thanks for the comment :)

I see what you mean about Alloyus, lol. I'll see if I can fix it.

Edit:
    I did a quick edit and I think it looks a lot better :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    All of your evolutions just look like bigger versions of the previous ones - they're all the same exact colors, too. Official Pokémon evolutions always look distinct enough to be considered a separate species - for example, Pikachu is pure yellow, but Raichu is orange and has a white belly. Scyther is green and turns entirely red for Scizor. Magikarp, a red fish, turns into a blue dragon. Dragonair, a blue snake-dragon, turns into a bipdal orange dragon. Green Larvitar turns into a grey rock-cocoon thing. Snorunt's only connection to Glalie is its teeth, and Snorunt's only connection to Froslass are the lines on its coat. Fraxure, a green lizard thing, turns into scaly gold Haxorus - you get the point. What I'm saying is I think you ought to make your evolutions more unique - yes, there are some official evolutions that look very similar to the previous, such as Muk or Klinklang to name some obvious ones. But the more distinct evolutions far outnumber the similar ones, and so far all of your just look like bigger or "Mega" versions of the previous evolution.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    All of your evolutions just look like bigger versions of the previous ones - they're all the same exact colors, too. Official Pokémon evolutions always look distinct enough to be considered a separate species - for example, Pikachu is pure yellow, but Raichu is orange and has a white belly. Scyther is green and turns entirely red for Scizor. Magikarp, a red fish, turns into a blue dragon. Dragonair, a blue snake-dragon, turns into a bipdal orange dragon. Green Larvitar turns into a grey rock-cocoon thing. Snorunt's only connection to Glalie is its teeth, and Snorunt's only connection to Froslass are the lines on its coat. Fraxure, a green lizard thing, turns into scaly gold Haxorus - you get the point. What I'm saying is I think you ought to make your evolutions more unique - yes, there are some official evolutions that look very similar to the previous, such as Muk or Klinklang to name some obvious ones. But the more distinct evolutions far outnumber the similar ones, and so far all of your just look like bigger or "Mega" versions of the previous evolution.

I appreciate the input. I do get that I used the same colors for each line, so maybe I could change that a bit, but I have to disagree with all of them being "bigger" versions of their predecessors. The Arumin line you might have a point, but Fairthy goes from a fairy type Pokémon, to a flamingo, to an ostrich, the only thing similar about them being that they are birds and have the same color schemes. The Sphrite line has some variation imo as well, and we know what the Glarvae line is about.

Also, I'd argue that at least 50% of evolutions are essentially bigger versions of their predecessors. And I don't believe that having an evolution that doesn't really look like it's an evolution of its predecessor is actually a good evolution. A couple of the evolutions you mentioned are my least favorite because they are so different from their predecessors.

I've thought about going with different colors for some of the evolutions and I might change some. But I'm still more interested in getting the sprite designs right first. Then I can go back and mess with the color schemes if I want to change them up.

Years
  • To start with, I like these concepts. c: Especially Fairthy.

I do have some advice, that being that while I do think they're good, the shading is the biggest thing that stands out to me. If you take a look at official sprites, there's usually a bigger value difference between the base color and the shading, or in some cases there's a slight tinge of blue added as well (if you look at FR/LG sprites). The latter isn't necessarily what should be done here depending on the effect you're going for, but I do think these could benefit from making the shading a bit darker anyway.

That, along with perhaps making the highlights a bit lighter, will make things definitely pop out more. :> Because the colors in general seem fine, but that "pop" isn't quite there, and so the colors tend to muddy together a bit.

But overall, good! Keep it up. :D

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    To start with, I like these concepts. c: Especially Fairthy.

I do have some advice, that being that while I do think they're good, the shading is the biggest thing that stands out to me. If you take a look at official sprites, there's usually a bigger value difference between the base color and the shading, or in some cases there's a slight tinge of blue added as well (if you look at FR/LG sprites). The latter isn't necessarily what should be done here depending on the effect you're going for, but I do think these could benefit from making the shading a bit darker anyway.

That, along with perhaps making the highlights a bit lighter, will make things definitely pop out more. :> Because the colors in general seem fine, but that "pop" isn't quite there, and so the colors tend to muddy together a bit.

But overall, good! Keep it up. :D

Thanks for the feedback! I do agree about the shading. I think I could improve in that aspect. I actually used the color schemes from different Pokémon sprites. The yellows from the Glarvae line are the same as Pikachu's colors from Ruby or Fire Red I think, for instance. But I could probably experiment with the colors to make them stand out. I'll definitely take your suggestions under advisement, thanks!

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    These have some very fun ideas, but I don't know if I'm that keen on the execution. The line art is a bit sloppy and confusing most of the time, and a bit inconsistent. As they're in a 64*64 canvas, I assume these are for a hack?

When doing the lineart, try to make it flow naturally, and don't use straight lines too much. The lines need to flow, and not be jagged and hooky, this makes the sprite always seem sloppy. Use bigger bodies in smaller areas, is my advice. Arumin is a good example. Because it's small, and you've made the body parts small too, detail gets a bit lost on it, and it's hard to see what's going on. You also seem to have a bit of a problem with anatomy. I recommend looking at official pokemon sprites with similar bodies to get this right.
    The shading isn't that great either. It is a bit inconistent with where the light is coming from, and I recommend you look up some tutorials for it.
    I hope this helps you, and good luck with further spriting :)

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • I am not particularly talented in designs of Fakemon, although I do have something to say about the Etymology of their names. I see for the Alloyus line you've went with a nice little naming pattern like you see in pokemon. But why do you have the main evolution named Aurmin, obviously a root in the latin for gold, yet he is silver/grey? It's a subjective area whether a Poke/fakemon should have names exactly represent the pokemon. I am not objecting to their names, just curious.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    These have some very fun ideas, but I don't know if I'm that keen on the execution. The line art is a bit sloppy and confusing most of the time, and a bit inconsistent. As they're in a 64*64 canvas, I assume these are for a hack?

When doing the lineart, try to make it flow naturally, and don't use straight lines too much. The lines need to flow, and not be jagged and hooky, this makes the sprite always seem sloppy. Use bigger bodies in smaller areas, is my advice. Arumin is a good example. Because it's small, and you've made the body parts small too, detail gets a bit lost on it, and it's hard to see what's going on. You also seem to have a bit of a problem with anatomy. I recommend looking at official pokemon sprites with similar bodies to get this right.
    The shading isn't that great either. It is a bit inconistent with where the light is coming from, and I recommend you look up some tutorials for it.
    I hope this helps you, and good luck with further spriting :)

Thanks for the comment. I will look and see about trying to clean up some of the line art and trying to make it seem less jagged.

I am not particularly talented in designs of Fakemon, although I do have something to say about the Etymology of their names. I see for the Alloyus line you've went with a nice little naming pattern like you see in pokemon. But why do you have the main evolution named Aurmin, obviously a root in the latin for gold, yet he is silver/grey? It's a subjective area whether a Poke/fakemon should have names exactly represent the pokemon. I am not objecting to their names, just curious.

Well, Arumin is actually a corruption of aluminum. I suppose you could say that it is a combination of Argentum (where the chemical abbreviation AG comes from for silver) and aluminum.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Sorry for the double post, but I did a little fiddling with the colors and spriting for Arumin and Elesect based on some of the feedback I got. I think they look a lot more vibrant and less dull and muddy, but I'd like to know what others think, too:

Arumin
    Before

After

Elesect
    Before

After

deerui

pixie <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    these are so good!!
    ahh, do you take request/commissions?
    I'd love sprites of my fakemon

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    these are so good!!
    ahh, do you take request/commissions?
    I'd love sprites of my fakemon

Thank you, you're very kind! :D

I actually just started getting into Fakemon spriting. Maybe after I have some more practice (when I have completed all my Fakemon?) I will take requests. I'm sure there are people who are much more talented at spriting/pixel art than I am right now who might take requests? I'm still learning, but I'm getting better.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Hey, everyone, I have three more Fakemon that need some feedback. All of the feedback has been great and it's helping me improve and make the sprites better! So please don't hesitate to throw in your two cents!

Rubifinch
    Child Bird Pokémon
    Type: Normal/Flying

Rubinarch
    Parent Bird Pokémon

Rubiretta
    Parent Bird Pokémon

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I have a new line to add. I definitely don't think it's perfect, so I could use some constructive criticism! Thanks!

Chiimunk
    Chipmunk Pokémon
    Type: Fire

Chiiscamp
    Scavenger Pokémon

Chiiscour
    Forage Pokémon

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I've got four more Fakemon (two different evolutionary lines). Constructive criticism is still welcome, as I do want to get better and make the sprites as good as they can be.

Millide
    Million Leg Pokémon
    Type: Bug/Rock

Miletto
    Million Leg Pokémon

Siltsnail
    Rock Snail Pokémon

Gritsnail
    Rock Snail Pokémon

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Try not to make the details too small, it makes the sprite clustered. Siltsnail and gritsnail suffer from this with the pattern on their shell. The snails and squirrels really don't change up that much between evolving, so I would redesign those. You're shading style is also very complicated. It looks like you're imitating gen 3, but even then, there seems to be a lot of dithering and different shades going in. That can be toned down, and makes your sprites look cleaner.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Try not to make the details too small, it makes the sprite clustered. Siltsnail and gritsnail suffer from this with the pattern on their shell. The snails and squirrels really don't change up that much between evolving, so I would redesign those. You're shading style is also very complicated. It looks like you're imitating gen 3, but even then, there seems to be a lot of dithering and different shades going in. That can be toned down, and makes your sprites look cleaner.

I do agree about the shading, as I still have trouble trying to get that right. I made some edits to the snail Fakemon to to try to clean them up. Though I like the swirl designs on their shells, I might be able to simplify them so I'll think about it.

As for the designs, I honestly love my designs. I don't think the evolutions need to be changed or be made very different. I'm not sure where people got the idea that a Pokémon's evolution is supposed to be vastly different from the original. Maybe it's a new generation thing, idk. To me, that's not what Pokémon are supposed to be, unless there's a reason for it (type change or based on a real animal or legend that makes those changes). Someone mentioned how much Magikarp changed when it evolves, but that is because it is "based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons." Pokémon that change drastically should have a reason for changing, and should not have extremely different evolutions just because. But that's my opinion. I love my fire chipmunk Fakemon and think they are great examples of a three-line Pokémon, going from child, to adolescent, to adult, which is basically what three-line Pokémon are all about. They might need some clean-up as far as spriting and shading, but I am very happy with their designs.

Back