• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

MGS4 On Xbox 360: Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    Okay, sorry for the REALLY long post, but this is something my friends and I have debated about for the longest time...

This has been a rumor which has floated around for what feels like an eternity, and Konami has already denied claims of an Xbox 360 version of Metal Gear Solid 4 on multiple occastions. Considering a few new system features of the Xbox 360, wouldn't you think it's possible? I'm not suggesting that it will happen (though I think it might be a wise choice on Konami's part), but merely suggesting the possibilities considering the limitations and potential of the Xbox 360.

A major thing (and most likely the main thing) to consider in terms of the Xbox 360 is the limitations of the media it uses: only DVDs. Even DVDs with the largest avaliable capacities of 8.5GB are simply dwarfed in comparison to the PS3's Blu-Ray disc with the maximum capacity of 50GB on a dual-layer disc. A thought though: you could always just switch discs with when you were prompted to, right? Wrong. With the way that Metal Gear Solid 4 renders cutscenes in real time, it would be cumbersome and impractical to switch discs because you would more often than not be required to swap discs at an inconvenient time, and if you didn't have the required discs, then you're screwed. Anybody remember the good old days with the original PlayStation?

There are multiple solutions to this problem, some being logical and others being downright absurd.

One solution to consider: why not lessen the graphical quality of textures and sound so it would fit on one disc? The simple answer: no. Konami developers have commented on how it was difficult to fit all the content on one single dual-layer Blu-Ray, and to reduce the entire TOC from 50GB to 8.5GB for one disc would only mean that the game suffers a tremendous loss: the high-definition graphical features would fall from peak 1080i beauty to absolute crap, with the quality prediction being at about mid N64 to PS2 quality. Be honest here, no respectable gamer would want that!

The loading from multiple discs idea has already been dished out, which leaves a last, and probably most logical, solution for this dilemma: data importation. The most recent update to the Xbox 360 system features a function which allows data to be imported to the Xbox 360 hard drive. Therefore, multiple discs still have the potential to be used, but they will not be used to load data in-game and will instead be imported to the hard drive to keep virtual properties of the Blu-Ray disc: high capacity and real time-loading cutscenes. Real-time loading properties will still be able to be kept because of how much faster data is read from an HDD than a disc and because of the capacity of the hard drive, it matches and even exceeds the capacity of the Blu-Ray dual-layer disc with modern models.

While this seems like the best idea (at least in my humble opinion), one solution leads to more problems.

The main problem which stems from this idea is the lack of HDD space, considering the much smaller capacity held by older Xbox 360 hard drives and the possible lack of space simply due to the fact that DLC, original Xbox emulation files, and save files add up over time and your hard disk space gets smaller and smaller. Therefore, an idea would be to bundle an offer for a hard drive at a discounted price with the game because it would only prove to be an inconvenience for those who wish to play the game and are required to buy a hard drive at full price, which would only result in grumbling gamers and reduced profits. Seeing how the 60GB model would be the most easily marketed modern-model hard drive for the Xbox 360, an optimal price would be around $35, about less than half the standard price. You'll receive 50GB for the game and an extra 10GB for the optional DLC if any is released. Not only that, but Konami will profit from game sales and Microsoft will profit from HDD sales due to MGS4 being one of the most wanted games on the Xbox 360. Both companies involved will win.

Another issue is the updates to the new Xbox 360 system menu to allow importing of games to the hard drive, for not all owners have Xbox Live. The solution is simple however: bundle an extra disc for the update.

In short, I guess it is possible, but what do you think?

For those of us who are impatient, I guess we'll just have to pick up a PS3, but hey, I could imagine a future Xbox 360 bundle with the game, a 60GB hard drive, microphone, and a themed faceplate to go along with it.

Last edited:

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    The rumor was only a fake, and they are not releasing MGS4 for the 360. They might release one for the 360, but as far as I know they aren't as for right now.

Capt. Couch

Years
    I'm aware of that... The rumor was bollocks. That isn't the purpose of this thread though. We're just discussing the possibility of the game on Xbox 360 with hardware in mind and such.

I could imagine that easter egg in MGS4 that made fun of DVD9 to become something like this:

Otacon: "Hold it, Snake. Time to change the disc. I know, I know... It's a pain. But you need to swap disc 1 for disc 2. You see the disc labeled '2?'"

Snake: "Uh... No."

Otacon: "Huh? Oh, wait! We're on an Xbox 360™ system! We're loading the whole game from the hard drive using the New Xbox Experience, no need to use a second disc."

Snake: "Damn it, Otacon! Get a grip!"

Otacon: "Yeah, what an age we live in, huh, Snake? First Blu-Ray, and now this! Wonder what they'll think of next!"

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    It's a nice thought, but games like MGS4 and Killzone 2 prove just how far ahead of the curve the PS3 <i>is</i>, as far as graphics and presentation go. Even if you could conquer the storage issue (not likely; the PS3 version used a HDD install, too, and still required a dual layer BDROM) the 360 just doesn't have what it takes to play MGS4. It'd be akin to the dreadful Wii version of Dead Rising that's being forced through the pipes.
    That, and Kojima won't allow it ~ ever since the botched ports of MGS2, he's had the stance that he won't allow his games to be ported.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    MGS4 CAN'T be on 360. The game makes jives at 360, has PS3s, PSPs, Sony erricson phones, apple iPods, iMacs and a ton of other sony/Apple promotional material.

Tombstone975

The grass is always greener.
    Years
    The rumor was only a fake, and they are not releasing MGS4 for the 360. They might release one for the 360, but as far as I know they aren't as for right now.
    Its just like with Halo 3.
    They could put it on another consol if they wanted to,But they are supporting only Sony.

Years
    Well it's not impossible. If it does happen it'll probably be an upgrade version like MGS2: Substance (Which came out on the original Xbox).

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Its a possibilty I guess, however I doubt it. It sure would be awesome though (as that is the ONLY game that makes me want to get a PS3 which isn't on Xbox 360...)

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Sony won't be relinqishing the most exclusive franchise they have so long as its a defining choice in which console somebody will buy, which is what MGS does for them. I traded in my gamecube for an older PS1 so I could play the original games, it's still the same now. Sony really lack an iconic franchise on the PS3 other than this, so they'll be holding onto it until the end of time =]

Capt. Couch

Years
    I do have to agree.

MGS2 for Xbox was a little bastardized if you ask me... Just didn't seem natural. The Twin Snakes for GameCube was a nice update and the fact that Kojima was pretty pleased with it was another good thing. If he's not happy with it, then something has gone horribly wrong...

I highly doubt it would EVER happen. In the meantime, we'll just have to keep playing it on our PS3s.

Years
    I have had a discussion with my cousin Jill. she has a Modded Xbox and we started talking games and I said it would not be that had to change a game and make it for another game and it is true you can make and mod the game and make it for the xbox360 of course you will be braking copyright laws but you can it would take along time and you will not be able to get 100% of the full game but yeah I am sure it is possable to do it but I am not saying it is and is not

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back