• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mistakes you've made

Dingoo User
    Years
    Have you ever made any mistakes in any Pokemon game?
    List the ones you've made and the era in Parentheses next to it.

Here we go:
    1. Aquired a shiny charizard in Silver and my friend told me it was sick, and he knew how to heal it.(He stole it and gloated)
    2.Thought the magikarp you buy before mt moon was the Golden one in the anime, bought it.
    3.Never used anything but STAB attacks.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I used to hate Gyarados, so I killed Red Gyarados every time I restarted Silver. I never though the alternate color (shiny) thing would catch on. ;_;

Gyarados will be MINE!

Years
    1. Not trading Drowsee for a Machop. Machop (aka Muscle) is very useful against Whitney. (Should have done it sooner.)
    2. Rushing through the game. (I always do that, and when I beat it, it's eh. Sure, I may beat the game before my brother, but it takes the fun out of it.) Taking my time this time.
    3. Not enough experimenting with different Pokemon.
    4. Having 2 type moves on the same pokemon. Such as Ember and Flamethrower at the same time.
    5. I'm going to choose the starter I want regardless if my brother has the same Pokemon. I always regret not using what I want. Originally, I had Piplup. Never used Empoleon. Got bored of it. Now, I have level 82 Infernape in Platinum and level 80 Torterra from Diamond which I traded into Platinum.
    6. Not using only attacks that are over 100.
    7. Not going to constantly switch out Pokemon in battle. Battle til it faints then use another one. If it earns it, it earns it.
    8. Don't use a Master Ball on a pokemon that doesn't run away. (Using it on a legendary dog this time.)
    9. Don't trade any DPPt pokemon into the game. Use what I already have.
    10. Raise an Ice type for battle against Clair and Lance.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    1. Not trading Drowsee for a Machop. Machop (aka Muscle) is very useful against Whitney. (Should have done it sooner.)
    2. Rushing through the game. (I always do that, and when I beat it, it's eh. Sure, I may beat the game before my brother, but it takes the fun out of it.) Taking my time this time.
    3. Not enough experimenting with different Pokemon.
    4. Having 2 type moves on the same pokemon. Such as Ember and Flamethrower at the same time.
    5. I'm going to choose the starter I want regardless if my brother has the same Pokemon. I always regret not using what I want. Originally, I had Piplup. Never used Empoleon. Got bored of it. Now, I have level 82 Infernape in Platinum and level 80 Torterra from Diamond which I traded into Platinum.
    6. Not using only attacks that are over 100.
    7. Not going to constantly switch out Pokemon in battle. Battle til it faints then use another one. If it earns it, it earns it.
    8. Don't use a Master Ball on a pokemon that doesn't run away. (Using it on a legendary dog this time.)
    9. Don't trade any DPPt pokemon into the game. Use what I already have.
    10. Raise an Ice type for battle against Clair and Lance.

Same here, one thing I've learned from previous games is to learn from my previous mistakes as well.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    -Started off with Meganium
    -Leveled up only Meganium
    -Killed Red Gyarados
    -Used Legendaries
    -Giving my Rival a real name, Daniel hahaha
    -Not using a fire type, or anything with fire moves
    -Switching off Crobat and Espeon constantly throughout the game
    -Wasting my time leveling up Togetic, Beedrill, and Electrode

And best of all, the movesets. Good thing my game still works after all these years!

Meganium
    -Tackle
    -Body Slam
    -Cut
    -Razor Leaf

Ho-oh
    -Fly
    -Swift
    -Recover
    -Fire Blast

Lugia
    -Fly
    -Aeroblast
    -Waterfall
    -Hydro Pump

Gyarados (not shiny)
    -Surf
    -Strength
    -Whirlpool
    -Dragon Rage

Ampharos
    -Thunderpunch
    -Flash
    -Headbutt
    -Thunder

Crobat
    -Wing Attack
    -Steel Wing
    -Mean Look
    -Confuse Ray

Detox

Ember
    Flame Wheel
    Flamethrower
    Smokescreen

Great minds think alike?

Feraligatr
    -Surf
    -Waterfall
    -Rain Dance
    -Hydro pump

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Quick Attack
    -Sand attack (I thought it was an actual attack XD)
    -Mud Slap

Furret
    -Strenght
    -Cut
    -Surf
    -Rock smash

Why did I try to fight lance with that team...

Years
    Great minds think alike?

Feraligatr
    -Surf
    -Waterfall
    -Rain Dance
    -Hydro pump

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Quick Attack
    -Sand attack (I thought it was an actual attack XD)
    -Mud Slap

Furret
    -Strenght
    -Cut
    -Surf
    -Rock smash

Why did I try to fight lance with that team...

Funniest part of that quote. Bold and Underline. I'm sorry, but that is kinda funny. I cracked up when I read that. You just made my day. :)

I got so excited when I first caught a MAGIKARP. I'll never do that again. :P

Pokemon I'm considering other than the starter:
    Jumpluff, Ampharos, Politoed, Poliwrath, Espeon, Sudowoodo, Corsola, Bellosssom, Lanturn, Arbok, Mantine, Delibird, Sneasel, Houndoom...

Another mistake: Giving the rival a girl's name. Not doing that again. Either he'll be Silver or Kamon.

ℜªℳ

RAM Corporation |\/| ][ |\/|
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    worst mistake was not getting a ice type, either get a seel, a vaporeon or a sneasel before attempting to fight claire and if u think pryce will let u through with a meganium or feraligatr - HE WILL XD I went through the entire game til I reached claire using just a meganium which is lvl65. even at that high there was trouble beating her >_<

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    Typhlosion:

Ember
    Flame Wheel
    Flamethrower
    Smokescreen

Hahaaa. It's okay though, we've all been there.

Also, as I recall the only time I played Gold all the way through was with a high-leveled Ampharos. Now that I'm older and wiser I am hoping to play with a more balanced team.

Detox

I listened to y idiotic friend and used all my rare candies on an Unnown, thinking it would learn a move called terminate. Turns out they can only lear Hidden Power.

So yeah, I was screwed.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I taught all my pokemon moves like cut and strength because I thought they were epic strong.

And I fought whitney using a Quilava, Butterfree, and Pidgeotto.
    Rollowned is the only word I can use.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Oh yeah, heres another...

I listened to y idiotic friend and used all my rare candies on an Unnown, thinking it would learn a move called terminate. Turns out they can only lear Hidden Power.

So yeah, I was screwed.

Terminate? HA HA HA HA!!! Oh man, that's another mistake I made:

-DON'T listen to your friends

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Haha, yeah, the only shiny I ever found in GS (other than Gyarados) was a Graveler.

I only had two Ultra Balls.

Lesson learned, have multiple next time.

Dingoo User
    Years
    Trained a Pikachu to 100 thinking it would learn surf then evolve to Pikablu
    Thought that I could De-volve pokemon
    Thought I could make a pokemon follow me by hitting Release:\ Was my starter

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    Well, I thought the rival was a girl XD
    thought Sudowoodo was a plant type so I used bubble and one hit it ( easy mistake at the time)
    Traded my Maril to my friend because I could just get another one later (little did I know how rare they were without that phone-call)
    Not using my master ball on a dog because I though I NEEDED it for Celebi.

Oh the logic of eight-year-old.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I tried facing Red with my level 60 Feraligatr. I thought it would be easy. When it ended, I was rushing towards the Pokémon Center.

Oh, and naming my rival with a female name. Jessica, yuck!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Just because you put something about GSDS in the title doesn't mean it belongs in that forum. :( Moved to General Gaming.

Years
    Terminate? HA HA HA HA!!! Oh man, that's another mistake I made:

-DON'T listen to your friends

I would like to add DON'T listen to your BROTHER/SISTER.

I listened to my brothers and started off with Piplup. My brother, Vin, had Turtwig, and Danny chose Chimchar. I wanted Chimchar. I chose Piplup to be different and because of the type advantage. We never battle each other. Originally, I was going to buy both Diamond AND Pearl, but my brother told me we can "trade." We never traded. >;( Then I was going to buy my own strategy guide. He bought it and said we can "share." Then I never got to use it until AFTER I beat the game. Not listening to them anymore.

This time I'm choosing the starter I want regardless if he has the same Pokemon.

Though, he was right about going to Kanto in the Gold Version. I thought he was lying when my character returned to my room when I beat the game. I thought I had to start all over again.

Another mistake, using repels throughout Victory Road. I could have leveled up my Pokemon better. (Had a tough time against Lance.) He was never easy for me.

Back