• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Modifying already existing scripts / Dynamic offsets

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    My question is quite simple, but I cannot find information.

I am a beginner in scripting and I think I grasp most of it.

Let's say I load a clean Emerald in AMap. I add a person event for which I create a script.

If I am correct, in XSE and for emerald, after using FSF to get the hex 31AD00, I start with:

#dynamic 0x31AD00

Now I can do whatever I want, save and compile.

This will give me a new hex: 31C16A

If I modify my script and then recompile, I obtain a new Hex (the following one). Does that mean that if I want to modify a script, I cannot override its previous version in the game, and as such, I am losing free space even though I just wanted to modify a script?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    Yes, that is the case.
    I recommend you to test your scripts on a backup first, then when they're correct you could compile then in your game.
    Otherwise if you know how to manage hex you can just use an hex editor and manually delete the bytes connected to the previous script.

Deleted member 691924

I suggest that you practice on FireRed rather than Emerald if you're a beginner to get a better grasp on the overall feel of ROM hacking. Also, what Auros said.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • I suggest that you practice on FireRed rather than Emerald if you're a beginner to get a better grasp on the overall feel of ROM hacking. Also, what Auros said.
    why though? it's the same thing in most all respects, just need to fix a tool's default addresses (click me to fix the one that matters)
    you do need to add the line
    #freespacebyte 0xFF
    to the top of any script after your dynamic offset in xse if using emerald, otheriwse music data gets corrupted and then random beeps happen and that's bad (00's are not free space!!!)
    don't get me wrong i love fire red > emerald but

Bladecraft

It's written "Bladecraft" on my forehead.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2020
    why though? it's the same thing in most all respects, just need to fix a tool's default addresses (click me to fix the one that matters)
    you do need to add the line
    #freespacebyte 0xFF
    to the top of any script after your dynamic offset in xse if using emerald, otheriwse music data gets corrupted and then random beeps happen and that's bad (00's are not free space!!!)
    don't get me wrong i love fire red > emerald but

Dear Blu, please get your information right.
    Correct: #freespace 0xFF
    Incorrect: #freespacebyte 0xFF

Thank you for your contribution to Emerald hackers. <3

Also, a repointing guide should exist, many people don't seem to even know what they're doing, I might work on it one day.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Dear Blu, please get your information right.
    Correct: #freespace 0xFF
    Incorrect: #freespacebyte 0xFF

Thank you for your contribution to Emerald hackers. <3

Also, a repointing guide should exist, many people don't seem to even know what they're doing, I might work on it one day.
    dear nakash,
    get off my lawn
    le pug said:
    ... it'll say that there isn't enough space and you'll have to include #freespacebyte 0xFF after each #dynamic...
    and again
    le pug said:
    ... without using #freespacebyte 0xFF in your script, XSE will compile...

but this says you're right so hey
    i feel like they both work

Deleted member 691924

lmao PC won't let me have quotes with links gg
    Because if I wanna fuck around with ROMs during my first few times I think that FireRed is the way to go (sprites, accessibility mostly) . I dig Emerald and I'd like if more hacks had it as their base, but why start hacking with limits you can only see if you already have some exp. Not like scripting is some complicated shit though.

Back