• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monster Hunter

Mr. Magius

  
Years
  • Specifically I'm talking about the announcing of Capcom's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD (for PS3... a port from PSP), Monster Hunter 3 G and Monster Hunter 4; both for 3DS.
    ...and with the development of the PlayStation Vita and Wii U, there will most likely be several more installments. I'm so psyched.

I just have to let this out: I AM SO FRKN EXCITED FOR THIS IT'S SICKENING

And now we can just talk about the Monster Hunter series here. Personally, Monster Hunter is the most well-done series I've ever played. Although graphics can obviously be improved (like in every game), the graphics are also among the most realistic I've seen, the soundtracks are just perfect, and gameplay is fantastic imo.

Oh, and if you know anything about Monster Hunter Frontier, which is only available to Japanese and Korean players, would you like that available in North America/Europe/other countries? I know it would probably take years, but it's a stunning game that deserves to be in English..

So, what are your thoughts about the series? And are you excited about the upcoming releases? :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    3DS? Can't say I'm terribly excited then, but I won't be so presumptuous as to yet doubt the series for moving to that; for one thing, it's nice to see the map off of the main screen. Apparently Plesioth will appear in MHP3G, which of all things I'm actually glad for — fighting it underwater (at least I assume from screenshots that they added underwater battles) should be a completely different experience to on land in previous games, provided there is a Western release for me to experience it at all.

As for Frontier, It's available in China as well I think; English players with the audacity to play it use the Korean version. I've always wanted it to be localised and to see it outdo WoW as an MMO, but there's really nothing to do, save petition Capcom...

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • i've only ever played mh:p2ndg which i thought was ok. i don't get why it has to be so time consuming though, maybe i'm just really bad at it.
    i've been meaning to get p3 for awhile now, just coz i like the new oriental style but yeh i think i'll just wait for 3g on the 3ds, which looks so sweet. with these kinds of time consuming games, i prefer them to be on handhelds and so i wasn't too keen on the wii version so i'm glad that 3g is on the 3ds.
    also, the platformer stuff of 4 is looking really interesting.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • 3DS? Can't say I'm terribly excited then, but I won't be so presumptuous as to yet doubt the series for moving to that; for one thing, it's nice to see the map off of the main screen. Apparently Plesioth will appear in MHP3G, which of all things I'm actually glad for — fighting it underwater (at least I assume from screenshots that they added underwater battles) should be a completely different experience to on land in previous games, provided there is a Western release for me to experience it at all.

As for Frontier, It's available in China as well I think; English players with the audacity to play it use the Korean version. I've always wanted it to be localised and to see it outdo WoW as an MMO, but there's really nothing to do, save petition Capcom...
    Well, the exciting part, imo, isn't that it's on the 3DS.. that's a negative for me. I really would have liked all of their games to stick with Sony and some others. It's just having more MH games to waste my time on.

As for Frontier's localisation, I think Capcom has yet to establish a stable enough Western fanbase. There weren't enough games to really have good one, so I would anticipate Frontier being available in maybe five or six years time. I think it could easily be one of WoW's biggest competitors.
    And wouldn't it be illegal/banworthy to play the Korean version?

i've only ever played mh:p2ndg which i thought was ok. i don't get why it has to be so time consuming though, maybe i'm just really bad at it.
    i've been meaning to get p3 for awhile now, just coz i like the new oriental style but yeh i think i'll just wait for 3g on the 3ds, which looks so sweet. with these kinds of time consuming games, i prefer them to be on handhelds and so i wasn't too keen on the wii version so i'm glad that 3g is on the 3ds.
    also, the platformer stuff of 4 is looking really interesting.
    You need A LOT of patience to play MH games. A LOT.. You need an excessive amount of time to master the controls, the habits of monsters, their attacks and your own, as well as more time collecting resources just to make a decent set of armour. Many people would say too much, but I enjoy spending time on it.

And for these types of epic fantasy/adventure/RPGs... I would very much prefer them to be on a stationary console, for the better graphics (and more easily visible) and better gaming experience.
    For example, if you have a handheld version and you're out somewhere, you have to pause and start again constantly. In the middle of a quest? It's impossible to play online (at least reliably), which is the strongest area of MH. You really need a lot of patience, I can't stress that enough.. XD But I'm a fan of CoD style of playing, which is sitting around talking to people and working together, and not playing on a tiny screen with tiny buttons everywhere D:

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
    Years
  • Gawd, finally a Monster Hunter Thread. xD Anyways, i'm going to hate Monter Hunter G because they are using the same camera that they used in the first game. The original Monster Hunter game was known for the camera getting you killed. I personally want to see what new monsters they are making for MH4 so that's going to be fun. I personally don't care if they don't bring it here to the US because I import everything. ^-^ I have pretty much every Monster Hunter Game that capcom has released. If they do import the game to the United States then i'll be happy. One of the things they should do is fix the underwater combat from Tri. I didn't mind it, but everyone used Lances because it was the best weapon underwater and Monster Hunter is to make each weapon class equal.

Monster Hunter Series is my favorite game ever and probably spent most of my gaming career on this. xD

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • Really? Wow. Hopefully the camera problem isn't too bad. I doubt they'd keep it the same, because if that's the case, then many players would have complained about it.

I wish I could import the games, but there's too much involved in that. XD And I'd rather pay the full price for something that I can actually understand.. I can't stand playing a game that I don't know the storyline to, or that I feel like I'm rushing. For me, it's like.. playing a game skipping every textbox, or playing a Pokémon game with only one maxed out Pokémon.

As for MH4, I'm really eager to know the new monsters in that! From all the monsters that they have now, it's hard to imagine what they can come up with, but there's always something exciting. In a way I guess I can compare it to Pokémon or Digimon, but more realistic.

I've spent about 200 hours on Monster Hunter Tri alone, at HR 55.. may not sound like much for a hardcore gamer, but I find it hard to sit down and play video games for a long time, so that's a huge amount! :{D I'm sooo psyched for these games.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    And wouldn't it be illegal/banworthy to play the Korean version?
    Possibly illegal and probably banworthy, maybe even if one imports it properly; I'm not sure really, but it's not going to stop people.

One of the things they should do is fix the underwater combat from Tri. I didn't mind it, but everyone used Lances because it was the best weapon underwater and Monster Hunter is to make each weapon class equal.
    Lances are simply overpowered in Tri since they got their counter move and there are less weapon types than usual; everyone uses them on land too.

Last edited:

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
    Years
  • Lances are simply overpowered in Tri since they got their counter move and there are less weapon types than usual; everyone uses them on land too.

Like I said, they needed to make each weapon equal in underwater combat. Lances had everything from blocking to the best maneuverability in underwater combat. On land is a different story. xD I preferably go with the Agnaktor+ Set and gem it up with Adrenalin +2 because you barely get hit with lances. ^-^

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Like I said, they needed to make each weapon equal in underwater combat. Lances had everything from blocking to the best maneuverability in underwater combat. On land is a different story. xD
    Really? Is the charge attack not delayed underwater or something? Surely the movement speed would be terrible like with greatswords, unless they all move the same underwater.

I preferably go with the Agnaktor+ Set and gem it up with Adrenalin +2 because you barely get hit with lances. ^-^
    I can't even adrenaline gun Lao-Shan without somehow messing it up. :(

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • For those who haven't seen it yet, I'm posting the MH4 trailer because it's quite interesting :o)
    Click hurr.

Although I really don't like how pixel-ly the graphics are, it's a very-well done trailer.

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
    Years
  • Really? Is the charge attack not delayed underwater or something? Surely the movement speed would be terrible like with greatswords, unless they all move the same underwater.

Lances are the most used not for their attacks, but the maneuverability. The charge attack will work like pierce ammo in underwater.

I can't even adrenaline gun Lao-Shan without somehow messing it up. :(

Let me give you a formula for this.

Twin Swords + Mega Dash Juice = Infinite Demon Dance Rape Time! xD

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • Hmm. I'm thinking of making a list of MH Hunter IDs for the OP. I don't think the PokéCommunity has that many players that the list would be too long to write. I think the most played game would be MH3, but if there are any others that you play, feel free to tell me.

So, anyone able to write their ID and hunter name? :{D

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Lances are the most used not for their attacks, but the maneuverability. The charge attack will work like pierce ammo in underwater.
    I still don't get it, sorry. I took it that by 'manoeuvrability' you meant speed of getting around; starting to think that's not what you mean. Please explain if you can...

Let me give you a formula for this.

Twin Swords + Mega Dash Juice = Infinite Demon Dance Rape Time! xD
    I really hate meleeing Lao-Shan... Could do that with Gaoren though.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Monster Hunter? Well, I might actually get into it once the 3DS games are released. I never owned a PSP, nor a Wii. That said... I'm intrigued by the games themselves. I do hope that I'll end up having fun... even without the slide pad add-on!

KinokiGaming

"The only Trollzama."
    Years
  • I still don't get it, sorry. I took it that by 'manoeuvrability' you meant speed of getting around; starting to think that's not what you mean. Please explain if you can...

When you use the lance charge attack, the more times you hit the monster, the more damage it does. If you know how pierce ammo works, the more times each of the ammo hits the monster, the more damage it does. So if your fighting let's say, Jhen Moran, mathematically, you could kill the low rank with a full clip of pierce level 3 ammo in the final showdown. :D Same damage applies with Lances using the charge attack.

I really hate meleeing Lao-Shan... Could do that with Gaoren though.

This formula works for anything. xD

Back