• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most annoying Gym Leader in FR/LG

BlueMageBrilly

The Blue Mage
Years
  • Ahah! I Picked Misty, like so many others! :P, and that was mostly due to my picking of Charmander! I didn't want a grass type from there, so I was forced to raise the Magikarp you can buy before the Cave to level 20, and the newly-evolved Gyrados tore through both of the Starfishies with it's bite attack!

Dual Psychic-Water combo cause her to lose! :P

Years
    • DC
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Thing is, brock or misty could be insanely tough depending on your starter. But I think Sabrina is just annoying no matter what your team. Although pyschic type was way more powerful in Gen 1.

Years
  • Misty. Even with Pikachu and Ivysaur it takes me about 12 times to defeat her. GO DIE STARMIE!

Chevitile

Little Monster
    Years
  • I had tons of trouble against Erika on SS, but since we're talking 3rd gen, I'd say Misty, even though I don't really find any of them that hard.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    Definitely Koga. Muk's minimize made me want to pull my hair out because I couldn't land a friggin hit.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2012
    well, I think it's Koga. Going from the 4th to 5th gym leader, I think there is a rather large jump in difficulty. He begins with koffings and they both know selfdestruct so you better have a quick pokemon that can 1-hit them with a psychic move or you may take some serious damage. Koga's muk and weezing are definitely not to be underestimated. Muk is just a good all-around pokemon, and when he begins to use toxic armor, he can become ridiculously hard to fight. Weezing is by far the most dangerous pokemon Koga will throw at trainers. Due to its levitate ability, weezing's only weakness is psychic, although it has terrible hp and spec. def. stats. If you just bring a steel pokemon, pretty much any of them, Koga is a piece of cake. The only reason why I find him to be somewhat difficult is because the 4 previous gyms are pretty easy. Koga isn't a hard gym leader.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Koga, he always inflicted status problems on me and kept using minimize and so I never hit and die from poison. I hate battling poison pokemon in general. If a trainer has a status problem inflicter then they spam those moves.

Years
  • I'm saying Giovanni. His Ground types can be deadly, and the Earthquakes don't help. Not to mention, high levels.
    But really, I don't have many issues wih Gyms. I only use and catch Dual-Types, so I can always bring counter types.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    The only ones I ever lose to are Brock (when using Charmander) and occasionally Misty. I normally pick Bulbasaur, so that is either strong against or resists ever gym up till Sabrina. By then I have plenty of other viable Pokemon. Sabrina's gym is probably the most annoying though, with all the teleportation tiles.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Koga is probably the most annoying because his Pokemon are resilient and I typically don't have a strong Psychic type when I face him. Of course, that's relatively speaking. I don't really have major problems with any of the gym leaders, probably due to my excessive level grinding.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Misty's the only Gym Leader I really ever have problem with, and that's only when I choose Charmander, which is about 75% of the time. I did remedy that by catching a Nidoran and getting a Nidoking by the time I leave Mt. Moon, and she gets demolished.

I didn't like Giovanni's gym. In fact, I hate it. There are too many stupid trainers that block the paths all the time. The battle itself wasn't hard.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    [SIZE="a"]Koga. Even with my requirement to get my team to 45 before him I still have trouble with Minimize if I don't have arial ace or shock wave.

Brock used to be a lot of trouble for Charmander until I finally got smart and caught a Mankey for the first gym[/SIZE]

rITual

We're only animals.
    Years
  • Misty! You had to waste time with extra preparation because you could guarantee her team would kick your butt if you didn't have a diverse, strong or skilled enough team.

It wasn't a huge problem, of course, but still a mess around and a little frustrating.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • FRLG gym leaders don't give me any problems, really. Though if I had to pick one, I'd say Misty since I typically start with Charmander.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2013
    I really had a hard time with Misty due to the reason that I have chosen Charmander as my starter. The Pikachu that I caught wasn't that strong yet, but I still managed to get through her, but she was definitely the hardest for me as the others are quite easy.

Back