• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

most powerful pokemon type

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2008
    steel is myn because so many pokemon types are weak against it

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    Yeah, about that. Steel is only super effective against two types, Rock and Ice. I'm pretty sure Fighting is good against five..

I think you mean so many types are half as effective against it; eleven.

Light_Lugia

Soul of the Sea
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2008
    There is no best type, they all have their weaknesses and stuff. It's type combos that makes a differance. Like Dark/Ghost, no weakness in that combo.

Phatkav

Zero Creativity
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2021
    Even though there is no best type, but most dragons are quite amazing. Salamence, Garchomp and Dragonite. They are all feared Pokemons.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2007
    For me I think its dark .

Yeah,because its weakness is only fighting type.

Last edited:

Masami

:D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2008
    Water does pretty well, because they have only special weaknesses. That's why suicune does so well; calm mind covers both grass and electric.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Aren't Dark-type Pokemon also suspectible to Bug-type attacks? :S

This is true, which means that it was quite possible, back in GSC and against the computer, to pwn a Dark-type with the type with the lousiest moves in the game. XD

On topic, one could possibly say Ground and Fighting, as they're actually strong against the most number of types (five each).

ItzMike

Has made a triumphant comeback
    Years
    Even though there is no best type, but most dragons are quite amazing. Salamence, Garchomp and Dragonite. They are all feared Pokemons.

Feared? Indeed, Tough: not so much i can kill a lvl 100 dragonite with one ice beam froma lvl 75+ Lapras :)

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    If we're talking type combos then Dark/Ghost wins hands down; no weaks, three immunities (To common attack types, might I add), and one resistance to boot. Spiritomb is a prime example of how pesky an opponent without weaknesses can be. D=

In single types, I'd say water, especially if we're considering both offense and defense. On the defensive side it's limited to two weaknesses (Which were restricted to special attacks until 4th gen) and with four resistances to its name. On the offensive side, water can pound down the majority of physical walling types quite easily because they tend to be at least part Rock or Ground. I think the fact that waters types are the only type to have their own battle role in competitive battling (Bulky water) says quite a bit, though in all honesty, the water type's dominance is quite largely upheld by the fact that ice attacks are basically a given in any water type's movepool and that a lot of the awesome statlines and movepools have fallen on them. =O

But yeah, all things considered water wins the day.

Mind you, Jax Malcolm: bug was only really the sucky type in R/B/Y. After that they got Megahorn and Hidden Power [Bug] which made them kick buttocks. And of course X-Scissor, Bug Buzz and U-Turn are now all over the place, making the type even stronger than before. :3

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Mind you, Jax Malcolm: bug was only really the sucky type in R/B/Y. After that they got Megahorn and Hidden Power [Bug] which made them kick buttocks.

Okay, I'll give credit for Megahorn, although only one Pokemon could actually learn it at the time. (My post, as a note, was referring to the GSC era, when Dark came into play anyway. At that time, only Heracross could learn Megahorn.) Hidden Power I really didn't count, as it was annoying as the depths of Hades to land HP of the Bug-type, and if I recall correctly, not many Pokemon in the GSC metagame used HP Bug anyway. Other than that, it's not a particularly useful move to try to get for fighting against the computer.

Back