• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Multiple Problems

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Hello everyone.

I have a few problems so I will just list them.
    1. A-trainer will not extract. It gives me an error that it can only compress after being closed by the application using it. There was no application using it but winrar, which I need to extract it.
    2. I am having trouble following these instructions, as I am not good with HEX. https://pastebin.com/13djBRnT
    3. Does anyone have a link to a full tileset hack for FR or Emerald. I am wanting every tile changed. I have have search everywhere but links are broken and link I find on PokeCommunity redirect me to an 1x1 attachment. Even when I save to Dropbox.

Thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2023
    I'll make this post as detailed and simple as possible in case somebody else is wondering the same things.
    1. Try Hopeless Trainer Editor, its my preferred trainer editor. Regardless, Atrainer probably isn't the issue but you never know (honestly sounds like another unrelated compatibility issue). When you open the files in winrar you should extract them to a folder on your computer, and leave the ZIP file as a "backup" in case you ruin the file. Trust me backing up is probably the most worthwhile thing a modder can do.

2. Download a hex editor (try HxD). Download Amap 1.92 with the link provided in the pastebin entry. Extract the contents onto your computer. Open AdvanceMap.exe with HxD. In HxD *search for the offset (CTRL+G)* "000D027C" (you can drop the zeros).

For simplicity sake; Offsets are addresses which contain bytes of data, and the bytes affect how the game works. You can see how offsets are organized by row/column. You might also notice they use A-F as extra "numbers". Base 10 turns into base 16 in HEX. So to understand you need a calculator (google has one).

That "9c 01" entry is actually a converted decimal number that A-Map reads to understand how many pokemon it allows you to edit. "9C 01" is actually read as "01 9C", and if you put 019C (you can again drop the zeros) in a HEX to DECIMAL converter, you get 412, which is the current amount of pokemon AMap recognizes. DECIMAL is the normal base 10 numbering system you learned in school.

So the decimal number of pokemon you have in your ROM should be converted to HEX, and will replace the two bytes "9C 01". So say you have 649 pokemon. 649 = 289 in HEX. You need two digits per byte so add a zero TO THE FRONT of the HEX value. 0289. Don't forget, you need the reverse order of this HEX value for the program to read it properly, so what you actually enter will be 89 02.

**I wouldn't put some arbitrarily high number to avoid having to do this again, as I think when AMap repoints the wild pokemon data it will create a table with "XX XX" room and some number like 50,000 will fill your ROM with a table of predominantly useless space. I'm not 100% sure, can someone more knowledgeable shed some light?**

3. I have never heard of a full tileset mod. It seems possible though and there are many programs on this site that can edit tiles. I can't recommend one as I've only ever used A-Map to edit my tiles. There exists an advanced A-Map tutorial, it's worth searching for, and is certainly worth the read.

Good luck on your mod man, I hope you and your friends enjoy eventually playing it.

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Hello, I didn't even realize that you had responded so thank you. I manged to extract A-Trainer once I fixed both .ocx errors. Thanks for clearing up the pastebin issue. I thought have a full tileset released would be a bit of a stretch, but I'm managing to make my areas look better and better using the standard tileset.

And for number 4 I guess it is because the files were old.

Back