• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Current Team

Will94

Trainer Card Maker
Years
  • Okay, so I am playing FireRed, and I need an opinion on my team! I am open for critisism, but not "OMG UR TEAM IS AWESOME!!!" because that doesn't help me in the slightest.
    I am in Celadon City, and I have only 3 badges (I haven't been bothered to challenge Erika yet).

Squirtle - Lv 24
    Bite
    Water Gun
    Water Pulse
    Rapid Spin

Pidgeotto - Lv 24
    Aerial Ace
    Sand-Attack
    Gust
    Quick Attack

Pikachu - Lv 24
    Thundershock
    Quick Attack
    Shock Wave
    Flash (will be deleted as soon as I reach the Move Deleter)

Butterfree - Lv 22
    Speep Powder
    Poison Powder (I think I may replace with Psychic)
    Dream Eater
    Confusion

Gloom - Lv 27
    Absorb
    Sleep Powder
    Cut (will be deleted also)
    Acid

Growlithe - Lv 15 (just caught)
    Bite
    Roar
    Ember
    Leer

Okay, so what do you think? What can I improve and what can I get rid of Pokemon and move wise?

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • First off, why is Squirtle not evolved yet? It should be a Wartortle by now.

Second, get rid of Butterfree. It's decent early, but looses potential as you get better pokemon later in the game.

Don't forget to teach Blastoise Ice Beam, or catch Articuno. you need an Ice type for when you face Lance. I recommend replacing Pidgeotto/Pidgeot with Articuno and Butterfree with a ground type like Dugtrio or Rhydon.

For Blastoise's final moveset, I'd do Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, and Rest.

For Pikachu, replace ThunderShock with Thunderbolt and teach it Thunder Wave to slow down enemies. Zapdos is a better Electric type, though.

I'd also consider replacing Gloom/Vileplume. It's movepool isn't all that great and it doesn't really learn any decent attacks. You could try sunnybeam-ing, but you're better off replacing it with a more verastile plant type.

For Growlithe/Arcanine, go with Flamethrower, ExtremeSpeed, Bite, Fire Blast.

Will94

Trainer Card Maker
    Years
  • Thanks for the advice.
    Squirtle hasn't evolved yet because I am holding him back, I hate Wartortle. But I like Blastoise, so I'll evolve him then.

Yeah I have been thinking about getting rid of Butterfree, I have been using her as a Psychic type temporarily. So what suggestions do you have for a Psychic Pokemon?

And I prefer to not use the Legendary Pokemon. So I am going to keep Blastoise no matter what, and I am thinking of replacing Pidgeotto with Dragonair. What about that?

Also I do have a Dugtrio! I had used it to beat Lt. Surge, and I've left it in the day care since. I will fetch that.

I have replace Thundershock with Thunderbolt, I leveled him up a bit last night.

And if I am going to replace Gloom, I would like a suggested replacement. What do you think could work?? Preferably grass type.
    Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Alakazam is probably the best Psychic type in the game before the E4. For the moveset, I'd use Calm Mind, Recover, Psychic, Shadow Ball. Calm Mind to boost its Special Attack and Recover to heal any damage taken while setting up. Or you could go with Hypno if you can't link-trade to evolve Kadabra.

So Alakazam can replace Butterfree, and Dugtrio can replace Gloom. Or you can use Venusaur if you can link-trade and you really want a grass type. Pidgeot can be a decent pokemon, and you need something to use Fly with anyway.

Years
  • Fly isn't a necessity of the game. I personally find it more fun to walk everywhere, you never know what you'll come across for the most part. There's always the chance that you'll come across a rare pokemon that only appears 1% of the time in that area.
    You miss those chances if you just fly everywhere.
    So yeah, Pidgeot is not necessary at all.
    I would replace it with the Dragonite, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Good physical attacker.

Alakazam to replace Butterfree, naturally. I would say that though, Alakazam is a personal favourite of mine.

I like Exeggutor as a replacement grass type for Gloom/Vileplume.
    It has the benefit of being a dual type that isn't Grass/Poison.

Keep Arcanine. Don't worry too much about a ground type, realistically, you don't really often need a ground type move to destroy anyone with and if you do, teach Earthquake to Blastoise and that takes care of it.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Something I notices about your team is that half of your team is weak to Electric moves, and half is weak to Ice type moves. Yikes. I'd actually recommend making a simple Fire-Water-Grass core of Pokemon. This way, you can free up some party space for HM slaves to actually get you places so you don't need to teach HMs to your battlers.

Because Psychic is so dang dominant in FR/LG, you could use Exeggcutor as part of your core, which could consisit of Blastoise, Arcanine, and that. You'll have very little weaknesses and could train your Pokemon quicker, making the game a lot easier. I find trios much easier to handle than entire teams.

So... Yeah. Pidgeot could actually stay as a Fly slave (And it might be able to learn Cut), you could get a water type for Surf and Waterfall, and get something like Graveler for Rock Smash and Strength. If you can't get a user of Cut, just get a Ratatta just to get by the one place where Cut is required.

jjnerdful

Never post
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    2 HM slaves easiest to get in FR/LG IMO is Farfetch'd for cut & fly, Psyduck for the rest besides surf.

If you can trade, by all means go for Zam. Trading with Emerald so you can get the elemental punches for Zam is a good idea. But if you can't, you will be stuck with Kadabra. If you don't like that, then Hypno is a good alternative.

I would personally ditch Pikachu and Gloom for reasons above. I'd replace them with a Jolteon and a physical powerhouse (Snorlax, perhaps).

gamefan1

Mystery Trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    well you have 3 badge and ur pokemon are only lvl 24 i suggest u train them more try to go like this dont go beat the badge until all your pokemon level are greater than the badge number X10 for example 3 badge all your pokemon must be 30 etc...and lol you already have a full 6 pokemon party i generally use only 4 pokemon and 2 hm slave XD

for the slave i suggest farfetch he learns fly and cut and electubuz for rock smash streng and flash

Will94

Trainer Card Maker
    Years
  • I actually use a HM slave only when I am traveling through Routes when I will need them. They see the sunlight very rarely!!
    What I do is, say I have to go through a cage. I would switch the pokemon that has the least use (say Growlithe for a cave, or for water routes) with the HM slave.
    Thanks all for the advice!!

well you have 3 badge and ur pokemon are only lvl 24 i suggest u train them more try to go like this dont go beat the badge until all your pokemon level are greater than the badge number X10 for example 3 badge all your pokemon must be 30 etc...and lol you already have a full 6 pokemon party i generally use only 4 pokemon and 2 hm slave XD

for the slave i suggest farfetch he learns fly and cut and electubuz for rock smash streng and flash

I usually don't level my Pokemon up above the top level of the Gym Leader. What I do, say the gym leader is Misty, I just throw Pikachu straight in there, and then it gets heaps of experience points when it beats just Starmie, usually dies on Staryu, so heal at the pokemon centre, then back into action until Pikachu gets strong enough to beat her!
    It is an easy way of going up levels easy, and it works efficiently!

Last edited:
    Back