• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first-time-ever Shoddy Battle Team

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2010
    I just started this thing today. I still have a lot to learn - not to mention what held items do......I think I somewhat lack strategy, so any advice will be welcome.

I tried to have attacks of as many elemental types as possible; generally, movesets consist of: STAB moves, one or two moves covering their weaknesses, and the status move (Swords Dance and Dragon Dance) if I think it's necessary.

My team members are:
    - Gyarados
    - Tyranitar
    - Flygon
    - Gengar
    - Scizor
    - Gallade

1. Gyarados
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Leftovers
    EV: Atk 252 / Spd 232 / Def 26
    Movesets:
    - Dragon Dance
    - Ice Fang
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall

Gyarados is more fit for Physical attacks, so I am going all-out Physical. Speed is important, but I thought Flying Pokemons generally lack defence, so I decided to give some EV's to Defence.

2. Tyranitar
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Muscle Band
    Movesets:
    - Aerial Ace
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Thunder

Again, another all-out physical one. Aerial Ace and Thunder are for defending against Tyranitar's key weaknesses: fighting and water. Come to think of it, though, I think it's better off to switch Thunder to Thunderpunch....Crunch and Stone Edge have good powers, and I can get the STAB advantage.

3. Flygon
    Nature: Quiet
    Item: Chesto Berry (probably will change to leftovers)
    EV: Sp. Atk 252 / Atk 182 / Spd 76
    Movesets:
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    - Draco Meteor
    - Earthquake

I wanted Flygon to have both decent Sp. Atk and Atk. Nature goes to boost up Sp. Atk, which is slightly lower than Atk. I was reluctant to sacrifice Spd, but I didn't know which nature would fit for Flygon...(still grasping a hang of this...). I chose attacks with high power (but Draco Meteor as a last resort). Fire Blast hoping to cover the double weakness against Ice.

4. Gengar
    Nature: Modest
    EV: Sp. Atk 252 / Spd 232 / HP 26
    Movesets:
    - Destiny Bond
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Substitute (I am having second-thoughts about this one)

Sludge Bomb to inflict status while giving a decent amount of damage; Shadow Ball to cover Psychic and Ghost types. Destiny Bond in case that Gengar's lower defence causes one-hit KO.

5. Scizor
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Technician
    Item: Expert Belt
    EV: Atk 252 / Spd 202 / Def 56
    Movesets:
    - Swords Dance
    - Aerial Ace
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn

I was compelled to have at least one Steel-type Pokemon due to its resistance to many attacks. As for the moveset, I think this is pretty standard. Swords Dance for maximizing Atk. U-turn offers me a way out if I see potential Fire-type attacks; also, whether super-effective or not, with high attack, U-turn can inflict a heavy damage with its high Atk stat.

6. Gallade
    Nature: Impish
    Movesets:
    - Psycho Cut
    - Close Combat
    - Swords Dance
    - Ice Punch

Another standard set: two STAB moves, one status move, and Ice punch to cover its weakness against flying.

That's all. I am looking forward to enlightening criticism. Thanks!

Back