• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] My Gen I and II project, presentation and help thread (to maybe prevent having too many)

McPaul

On my way to become a controversial and hated memb
Years
  • Hello y'all!

I'm currently on a new project, mostly-vanilla hacks of Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Stadium and Stadium 2 (and maybe add Green) but with modified features:

- No Stat Exp

This will be the main feature of my hacks. You'll maybe ask me what does that change? Actually many, many things.

First, it enhances the global difficulty of the main games: Having no stat bonuses makes you fight on the same level as wild Pokémon and other trainers troughout the whole game, this without editing a single trainer or wild Pokémon.

Second, it removes the need for endless Stat Exp training, let's say it, it's long and painful. Your level 100 will be at its maximum potential without further worries.

Third, it makes stall lose. It's a fact. Attack and Defense change but do not really. A 298 Attack Victreebel using Double-Edge against a 318 Defense Marowak inflicts the same damage as 235 Attack versus 255 Defense. The results of the calculations are the same. What changes then? HP bro! Imagine This Double-Edge inflicts 30 damage to the opposing Marowak (the number is invented, no calc done here), and the Marowak is trained to 300 HP, it means it will do 10% damage. Now if the Marowak is 100% untrained and only has, say, 240 HP, those same 30 damage will correspond to 12.5% damage! So again, stall-relying or annoying tactics will be far less effective, again without even touching a single trainer. You will have to think twice before setting up some Curses for example, as a Critial Hit will be way more punishing if you try to stall and heal too much. This work for link battles too, as they will be doable with these games.

And last but not least. Stat Exp is completely removed? No that's not EXACTLY what it will be. Stat Exp will still be there, but only through Vitamins like HP Up and Iron. So what about the latest paragraph? Don't worry. Vitamins will be there to push Stat Exp to simulate maximum DV in a stat and not more. Currently you have to give them carefully because I didn't find a way to block their use past the Mon's max DV, but this will be the purpose.
    This will serve as Hyper Training, allowing full stats Shinies, Females and Hidden Power.

- Updated moves

This is the second feature. I will bring all the existing move to their current selves or adapt them to the closest possible.
    Focus Energy will work in gen 1, Leech life/Outrage/Petal Dance/etc. will have their current power and accuracy (hello gen I 70% accuracy and 110 power Blizzard), Substitute will protect perfectly from status in Gen I, Hidden Power's power will always be 60, etc. I'll try to make Hyper Beam having to recharge even when KOing the opponent in Gen I.

Useless HMs will be modified too. Some like Fly and Whirlpool will be more usable with their current power and accuracy, some other completely modified to serve as a Hidden Power-like moves, to not break the game and keep it the closest to the developper's view. Cut will be, for example, a HP Grass rip off, Strength will be HP Rock, Flash HP Fire, Rock Smash HP Fighting, etc. all their added effects will be removed, they will have 60 Power, 100 Accuracy and 15 PP like the move they are based on. I will try to make them Counterable, but not guaranteed.

Some small edits like Pikachu being able to learn Surf and Fly by HM or Magikarp learning Dragon Rage by TM will be made, since those are existing events. I will try to make tradeback and event moves like NYPC and the Odd Egg Mon's Dizzy Punch viewed as legal in Stadium and Stadium 2 (since they are regarded as hacked, even in Stadium 2 WTF).

- Levelup moves and Egg moves relearner. This is a must have, no question here.

This is it, mostly. The goal here is to keep the games as close to the originals as possible, respecting the creator's ideas, while correcting the balance, the devs' mistakes, laziness or lack of knowledge there were in this era. Keeping to this will also make the player able to transfer their creatures from Gen I to Gen VIII without any kind of problem, as all the Mons will keep their legitimate state and all the games will be compatible between themselves, be it my ROM Hacks, the original games or their VC versions without issue.

Despite how it looks, this is not really a presentation thread, but a help thread, where I will post and collect all the questions/answers I need regarding this project. Hope this is ok for mods, if not just tell.

Currently mot of Gen I main series is done thanks to decomp and Stadium 1 is in good progress but I'm doing it binary style.

Thanks a lot in advance, seeya!

McPaul

On my way to become a controversial and hated memb
    Years
  • My first question here is, are there lost tools to edit Stadium? I'm currently using Pokémon Stadium Editor and Randomizer by froggy25, letting me edit most of the technical parts of the game. But it can't edit some things I absolutely need to, like text (example, CUT still saying it's a NORMAL move, but it's actually GRASS, or RAZOR WIND not talking about having a high crit-rate.) and some seemingly more complicated parts, like having only 4 high-crit moves (I can't add more in Stadium Editor, only change the existing ones), putting Razor Wind and Sky Attack.

How could I modify those things? Thanks a lot for your answers!

Back