• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Photography

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I think you struggle with composition in a lot of these. You seem to take nice quality photos but there's nothing about them that really attracts the eye from the beginning. Either there is too little to look at or there is too much. Without the effect, this is probably your best. Though it feels a little saturated and I think you should keep your focal in a strict position, rather than straying from the center. This is an exmaple of an empty shot, there's nothing to look at really. The drops are a little anti-climatic and well, you really need to think about what you're taking a photo of, 90% of this shot is unappealing space, and the drops simply add a very small aesthetic value.

You need to work on positioning & lighting as well as possibly considering some different manual settings such as iso and shutter speed on this one. The sideways view wasn't the best idea, and I think the shot itself is too busy. As well as the lighting just being too heavy in places, particularly on the lampposts and the large structure.

The shot with the headphones and laptop don't really have any composure. They just seem like random photographs and don't hold much of a focal. However, the positioning on the keyboard was decent, however it is just a rather empty shot.

Try taking some nature photos and work with people more, that way you will think more about focal. Then once you get your composition down, try thinking about your manual settings to improve the image quality and presentation.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Hm. I'm wary about responding to this, as I don't want to be seen as one of those people who can't take criticism. I also very much understand my work isn't perfect or even close, but I do have some comments.

For one thing, I am in no way suggesting these are great, I am and always will be the biggest critic of my own work, however what they are is examples of what and how I like to photograph. They're not down to the nail perfect composition, lighting, etc. but they are educated shots I take to explore and experiment with photography and go beyond the basic skills (that some may apparently think I don't have, but I digress) and create something different, and beautiful.

Where exactly do you have problems with my composition and focal? All I've used here are some pretty basic rule-of-thirds stuff. I generally try to add flow, though apparently I've failed; I'd love for you to elaborate. For the Headphones I feel it's quite a distinct and obvious composition.

The criticisms of the window pane one I understand a lot more, but then again that was taken as a desktop wallpaper and little more.

Regarding the Smooth Rainbow one, however, I would have thought it was apparent that manual settings were used, considering both the ISO and Shutter Speed used were absolutely integral in the water and lights looking the way they do.

The focal on the laptop is the keys, naturally. The composition is the framing. I see your problem with the headphones, but the focal is still obvious and what is the problem with a "random shot"?

I'm just not one for that pretentious and generic low-saturation, brown, artsy stuff of old broken things and scene kids, that all looks the same, even if it is photographically sound. I like colour and I like my work to be different.
    I've done nature and people shots and I'm past that, generic composition is easy, why would I want to continue that when I could be experimenting?

Ultimately I am thankful for your criticism and I will most definitely take it onboard, but could you perhaps be a little more in depth than "learn how to use a camera/composition/etc.," because I find that very condescending.

Last edited:
    Years
    It has been a while since I have reviewed photography on here, so better late than never.

Smooth Rainbow
    It is a nice idea, but I feel the execution has been a little poor. The picture is far too fuzzy for what it should be. I know there has been a slow shutter speed here, but for maximum definition, you need to put the camera down, or use a tripod if you are going to be using a slow shutter speed.

Magical Sunset
    Meh, it is a nice picture, but there could have been a lot more definition on your part. Also, I think the spiral takes away from the picture. It is too overpowering for what the picture could be. I expected this picture to be calmer, due to the sunset in the background.

Down the Keys
    sorry to say, I don't like this. I have seen too many of these types of pictures and they don't do anything for me. The lighting is rather horrible, as there is too much glare and it just makes the picture look sloppy.

Window Pane
    I see what you have tried to do, but I think the picture would have been a lot better if the whole window was in focus. One picture that I have that I like, is reflecting coloured lights onto the window and the water takes that colour. Try it out.

Audio-Technica
    Fuzzy, lighting sloppy and I don't like it. Sorry, but I think you should have taken a little more time to check your settings for this picture.

I don't really give positive feedback, because people can't really learn from 'WOW SO AMAZING'. So don't take these points badly. The one thing I would take away from this is, take your time before you take your pictures.​

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Thanks for your feedback!

It has been a while since I have reviewed photography on here, so better late than never.

Smooth Rainbow
    It is a nice idea, but I feel the execution has been a little poor. The picture is far too fuzzy for what it should be. I know there has been a slow shutter speed here, but for maximum definition, you need to put the camera down, or use a tripod if you are going to be using a slow shutter speed.
    I agree, and I've recently purchased a much better tripod for this exact reason.

Magical Sunset
    Meh, it is a nice picture, but there could have been a lot more definition on your part. Also, I think the spiral takes away from the picture. It is too overpowering for what the picture could be. I expected this picture to be calmer, due to the sunset in the background.
    Hm. That's a good point. I might go back to the original before it was edited and see what I can do.

Down the Keys
    sorry to say, I don't like this. I have seen too many of these types of pictures and they don't do anything for me. The lighting is rather horrible, as there is too much glare and it just makes the picture look sloppy.
    The glare was kind of intentional, being on everything besides the keys that is, but to each their own. I was mainly showing off my new laptop and a lil' depth of field fun. :P

Window Pane
    I see what you have tried to do, but I think the picture would have been a lot better if the whole window was in focus. One picture that I have that I like, is reflecting coloured lights onto the window and the water takes that colour. Try it out.
    I'll definitely give that a shot, sounds very interesting.

Audio-Technica
    Fuzzy, lighting sloppy and I don't like it. Sorry, but I think you should have taken a little more time to check your settings for this picture.
    True, and you got me, this was a very quickly taken photo.

I don't really give positive feedback, because people can't really learn from 'WOW SO AMAZING'. So don't take these points badly. The one thing I would take away from this is, take your time before you take your pictures.​
    No, it's okay, and I agree with everything you said.

I'll take all points into careful consideration. :)

Back