• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Pokedex

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
Years
  • One thing you could improve on is the overuse of dithering. You don't need to dither between every shade. Dithering is to blend colors to create different shades to smoothen out the sprite shading. It is usually used to smoothen an area where the highlights intersect with a very dark or sharp area...(Hard to explain) Just try not to overuse it. Dithering is also used in creating texture, such as fur, scales, roughness, etc.

Also, you overuse shines too. If the object isn't all that shiny, don't add a shine to it. It only increases the color amount and isn't nessissary. Always keep the color count as low as possible, the maximum is 16 colors. And if the object is shiny, only have a mere small line of a shimmer or a small circle for rounded areas.

Work on that for now ^^
    This.

Don't over use it, you say? Everything is dithered, even the fire.

I would advise to cut off the dithering completely. Yes, it looks ugly, and out of pokemon style; it wouldn't even match with official sprites, and even if this was a custom style of yours, it still looks ugly and all grainy, which is bad.

Take some time to look at official sprites, see how they are shaded, apply it, learn how they are line blended, lightsource, shading smooth surfaces, then post here so that we can help you.

The lines and sel-outs are fine though, and the concepts are simply epic to behold, but would look alot better if they weren't dithered to death.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • New sprite. Yay. Sorry it isn't much. I've been packing and stuff for my vacation trip. Gonna leave tomarrow.

My Pokedex

This one looks like it can be an evolution of Ariados if you ask me, and it looks sexy as fook. I love the coloring scheme on this fakemon and the shading is really good

:t354:TG

Back