• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Shading! (Critique PLZ)

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Hi guys! I just want to post this to see what you guys think of my shading method. Basically, I just paint a darker shade of a color on top of the original color and blend the edges. The outlines are masked on a separate layer. So what do you guys think? Any other techniques I should know about? ^_^;

My Shading! (Critique PLZ)

btw, if youre wondering what theyre doing, theyre posing for a picture!^_^

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Hey thx for the comment! I wanted to see what people thought cause I still thought something was missing! :/ Maybe its just me...

Patrick Bateman

G L O R I A
    Years
    Uh, it's pretty good shading. In fact it's fine, but if you want to completely and totally nitpicky, the shadow from the wings should probably be slightly more angled,if that makes any sense, cause at the moment they're giving shadows as if the light was directly from above rather than above and to the side like the rest of the creatures suggest where the light is coming from. Of course the shading looks perfectly fine as is and no one would ever complain, but yeah, since you asked for a critique. :< Then again making it more realistic might make the picture less aesthetically pleasing so I don't know. I wrote too many words.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    @Steampunk: Hmm, I see what youre getting at! Wow good eye ^_^

@Blazed: Of course he has legs and arms! His arms are folded in (the little blue ovaly things) and his legs--like Latias's--are those little spiky things on the back! :3

Horrorshow

Astrud, astrud.
    Years
    Those actually look pretty well done. :]

The only thing I'd like to point out is that they look kinda flat.
    Try using more than just one tone to shade with next time! :3

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    thx for the comments!

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Im trying to achieve at least Sugimori-style shading, if not his overall style. and I think that is one issue. He uses at least 4 different tones for shading I think..

Back