• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Naruto ENGLISH Dub Going down the right track?

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I've seem to have noticed at Episode 53 they put Haruka Kanata as the theme but with a bunch of stupid English shots with some of the 3rd themes clips which was better than the first two seasons. About 1-3 weeks ago they deiced to KEEP (GO!) Fighting Dreamers In it's Original Format does that mean VIZ's English DUB will keep doing this?

What are your thoughts

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Why the Hell would keeping/not keeping the opening mean the dub is bad? It's the channel that cuts/edits/decides to keep the opening for the TV airing, the studios include them in their products (DVDs), which is where the money is for them.

This just means that CN felt like keeping the opening in tact for once.

Sakuya

I will protect Yuki eternally.
    Years
    I figure that it will. I'm loving it, personally. I was hoping they'd use the theme songs. :D

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    I'm not saying it bad I think it's the biggest Improvement yet from English dubbers, You guys might have misinterpreted what I said.

Sakuya

I will protect Yuki eternally.
    Years
    I didn't. :3 I like the way that its going, not to mention, they seem to be keeping more violence in the episodes than they use to as well. D: I'm pretty sure that most of the little kids that watched Naruto we're banned from watching it by their parents after Orochimaru went all crazy. XD

Auron

Legendary Guardian
    Years
    The English dub is really bad. Why I said so ?? Because the Spanish dub is dubbed from the English one and...I dunno about the English voice actors, but I can talk about the Opening Themes (Really lame, full with spoilers) and lots of stupid censorship. However, I hope it for going the right way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2007
    Honestly, I think the entire English dub is, like most dubs, been reduced to a sad state of malcontent. The entire show has been de-bloodied...the names have changed (Uzumaki Naruto becomes Naruto Uzumaki...ANNOYING!), all of the San, Chan, and Kun are gone! Poor kids won't hear "Sasuke-Kun!" once ever! The jutsus are not only dubbed, but dubbed incorrectly.

Citing from the EP in forest of Death where Gaara kills the Rani Nins...he uses two Jutsu, Sabaku Sou Sou (Desert Graveyard) which they change to Sand Coffin, and Sabaku Kyu (Desert Funeral) which they change to Sand Burial...the nobility placed in a lot of the jutsu names are dumbed down for no reason! Its not like children won't understand those? The show is for teens anyways! If teens lack the vocab to understand "Desert Graveyard" then they need to go back to kindergarten.

On the plus side...I'm glad they kept Fighting Dreamers..its my fav opening...but I doubt it can save the English Dub from its already horrid state.

Years
    Urg, It's a good dub of a so-so show.

Alot of people fail to realise it does have to be changed a tad to be understood by people who are not wapanese.

You find Naruto Uzumaki annoying compared to Uzumaki Naruto? Well, in the west we put given name, first. It's not "Getting the name wrong" it's bringing it into correct english for an english audience.

Japanese suffixes also have no place an english version of a show, people who are not familiar with japanese customs would mistake them for middle or last names.

Arg, Naruto is not for teens, it is a male childs series, Shunen is demographed for kids, it means "Boy". Japanese standards of television and litetature practice are differant to the west, it appears "mature and cool" to western teens, when in all fairness, it has the same demographic as pokemon. As for Jutsu names, it is changed because it is a kids show, if it were a Seinen series(Adult Men), I could see the names staying. If it were upto me, I would have translated Jutsu too, it means Technique. ;)

WaveBurst

Its Our Velocity
    Years
    Meh...I'm onto Shippuden now so it makes no odds. But yeah, The DUB is poor compared with the SUB....Naruto's English voice annoys me

Jackie

Pokemon Ranger
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2007
    Eh, the dub is alright, but some of the stuff annoys me >.<

Glad how they kept the original theme song because the dub one is horrible!

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Honestly, I think the entire English dub is, like most dubs, been reduced to a sad state of malcontent. The entire show has been de-bloodied...the names have changed (Uzumaki Naruto becomes Naruto Uzumaki...ANNOYING!), all of the San, Chan, and Kun are gone! Poor kids won't hear "Sasuke-Kun!" once ever! The jutsus are not only dubbed, but dubbed incorrectly.

Citing from the EP in forest of Death where Gaara kills the Rani Nins...he uses two Jutsu, Sabaku Sou Sou (Desert Graveyard) which they change to Sand Coffin, and Sabaku Kyu (Desert Funeral) which they change to Sand Burial...the nobility placed in a lot of the jutsu names are dumbed down for no reason! Its not like children won't understand those? The show is for teens anyways! If teens lack the vocab to understand "Desert Graveyard" then they need to go back to kindergarten.

On the plus side...I'm glad they kept Fighting Dreamers..its my fav opening...but I doubt it can save the English Dub from its already horrid state.
    The blood has always been there; you just choose not to see it just so you can cling to any justification, no matter how petty and insignificant, to loathe and detest the English dub of Naruto. Switching the order of the names is a foregone conclusion, seeing as the majority of the English-speaking world is not comprised of weeaboos.

Tell me something: What is your current level of education? If you're still in high school, do you seriously believe you can do a better job translating Japanese than an actual native speaker or a professional translator with a college degree? You have no right to complain about incorrect translations when you yourself don't even know the language other than what little bits have been fed to you by your fellow Wapanese.

Personally, the music is the least of my concerns. VIZ Media could've just discarded all the OPs and EDs for all I care.

CHaRiSMa

Watching Celty chase bad guys
    Years
    ...the names have changed (Uzumaki Naruto becomes Naruto Uzumaki...ANNOYING!), all of the San, Chan, and Kun are gone! Poor kids won't hear "Sasuke-Kun!" once ever!

Lol, good one!:laugh: So much for Sakura imitators!

Urg, It's a good dub of a so-so show.

Alot of people fail to realise it does have to be changed a tad to be understood by people who are not wapanese.

You find Naruto Uzumaki annoying compared to Uzumaki Naruto? Well, in the west we put given name, first. It's not "Getting the name wrong" it's bringing it into correct english for an english audience.

Japanese suffixes also have no place an english version of a show, people who are not familiar with japanese customs would mistake them for middle or last names.

Same here.

Arg, Naruto is not for teens, it is a male childs series, Shunen is demographed for kids, it means "Boy". Japanese standards of television and litetature practice are differant to the west, it appears "mature and cool" to western teens, when in all fairness, it has the same demographic as pokemon. As for Jutsu names, it is changed because it is a kids show, if it were a Seinen series(Adult Men), I could see the names staying. If it were upto me, I would have translated Jutsu too, it means Technique. ;)

Wow, I never considered the Naruto anime like an anime for little kids..

I hate the DUB coz IMO the voice actors don't put that much effort into acting. I mean sometimes it sounds soo unrealistic. You see Naruto yealling and talking out loud in the SUB version.. but when you watch the American DUB you see him talk like a regular teenager. That's just not Naruot!! He's supposed to be extatic (sp??) and full of energy.. which in the American version IMO is far from that. Plus I have no idea why did they have to translate 'datebayo' like 'believe it'??!!

Years
    Dattebayo has no actual translation, it's just a word that cannot be, but loosely is the equivelent of "Ya Know?"

"I'M GONNA BE THE HOKAGE, YA KNOW?!"
    leaves alot less of an impact than
    "I'M GONNA BE THE HOKAGE, BELIEVE IT!"

English VA's not acting well? The following characters I disagree on(I only got upto the Ep 69, then went to the manga only):

Zabuza(Even though Blum just did an "EVIL SPIKE SPEAGLE!!!")
    Hinata
    Orochimaru
    3rd Hokage
    Ebisu
    Rock Lee
    Might Gai
    Kakashi
    Sasuke(In all fareness, the japanese VA Makes him sound 20+ >_> atleast now he just sounds emo-er)
    Ebisu
    Mizuki(He will be remembered for his 1 canonical episode XD)
    Neji
    Gaara(Oooh, the ever so popular, big scary Gaara XD)
    Ino
    Shikamaru(Again, sounds his age)

The ones I believe were ruined(Caps means Badly ruined):
    KANKURO(I DO NOT FEEL THE TERROR THAT THE ORIGINAL CAUSES!!!)
    TEMARI(Um, totaly out of character)
    JARAIYA(He does not sound pervy in english >_>)
    Iruka
    Naruto
    Sakura
    Haku(Never emoted well in english, sad as it is a good voice)

Rest are meh-ok.

If Naruto didn't have so much screen time, which is a stupid thing to say as he is the title character, it'd a be less annoying show.

Back