• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NASCAR, real sport?

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Racing in any form is NOT a sport. Any event that relies solely on how much money can be poured into a person's car to make them win is not a sport, it's a game of who can spend the most. They could probably pull a taxi driver off the street, give him a week's training, and if they put him in a Hendrick's Racing car he could place in the top 10. It's all about sponsor dollars.

a taxi driver? they arent trained to be racers. lol driving on the streets is completley different to how you drive in motorsports. basically, racing drivers are told anything that they are taught on the roads; forget it. the steering technique racers use is different for a start.

i dont understand where youre coming from when you say why it cant be considered a sport for the reason of money being put into it. its not all about having a lot of money, its about using it wisley too. besides, the people who craft the vehicles and not only the people who put them together deserve credit for the high performance parts they can provide. and anybody has to put some sort of money into their pastimes and hobbies, just like professional sportsman and companies related to sports do. companies make money by winning more events, resulting in more money to put into their vehicle design and additional improvements.

i stick by what ive said in above posts. its a career choice for some too, which means they have to earn money out of it somehow.

but the thing that you suggest up there that they could probably do that with a taxi driver, thats probably something an entertainment show would do. similar to Top Gear over here in Britain. the presenters get set challenges. the closest thing ive ever seen them do to this is they once took part in a 24 hour race with all their presenters and they didnt do particularly well. were talking about a tv show owned by Britains richest TV company.

I dunno, maybe some American station could make this happen. It would require a LOT of funding though... ;)

Last edited:

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    Racing is absolutely a sport, any form of racing. In fact, racing might be more of a sport then some of your average sport.

1. The drivers now have to be in peak physical condition in order to race, even with advancements in cooling and engineering. They have to physically manipulate a car, going at speeds from 100mph-230mph depending on what series, for hours at a time. Internal temps within these cars can be over 120+ degrees.

2. The drivers face extreme risk in racing. Death is not a common occurrence, but does happen. Fire, wreaks, and flipping are some of the dangers they face.

From Wikipedia
    Deaths in NASCAR Winston Cup/Nextel Cup/Sprint Cup (since 1971)

* Friday Hassler, Daytona, February 1972
    * Larry Smith, Talladega, May 1973
    * Tiny Lund, Talladega, August 1975
    * Ricky Knotts, Daytona, February 1980 (qualifying race)
    * Bruce Jacobi, injuries suffered in a 1983 wreck at the 125-mile qualifying races at Daytona (he would remain in a coma until he died in 1987)
    * Terry Schoonover, Atlanta, November 1984
    * Rick Baldwin, injured during qualifying attempt at Michigan in 1986, succumbing in 1997.
    * Grant Adcox, Atlanta, November 1989
    * J. D. McDuffie, Watkins Glen, August 1991
    * Neil Bonnett, Daytona, February, 1994 (in practice)
    * Rodney Orr, Daytona, February, 1994 (in practice)
    * Kenny Irwin, Loudon, July 2000 (in practice)
    * Dale Earnhardt, Daytona, February 2001, Daytona 500 (see also Death of Dale Earnhardt)

Deaths in NASCAR Busch Series (since 1982)

* Clifford Allison, Michigan, 1992 (in practice)
    * Adam Petty, Loudon, May 2000 (in practice)

Deaths in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (since 1995)

* John Nemechek, Homestead-Miami, February 1997
    * Tony Roper, Texas, October 2000

Deaths in NASCAR Modified Series

* Richie Evans, Martinsville, 1985 (in practice)
    * Charlie Jarzombek, Martinsville, 1987
    * Corky Cookman, Thompson International Speedway, 1987 (Charlie J. Memorial race)
    * Kenny Minter, Caraway Speedway, 1995
    * Tom Baldwin Sr., Thompson International Speedway, 2004
    * John Blewett III, Thompson International Speedway, 2007

Deaths in NASCAR Sportsman Series

* David Gaines, Charlotte, May 1990
    * Gary Batson, Charlotte, May 1992
    * Russell Phillips, Charlotte, October 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_racing_drivers_who_died_in_racing_crashes

While deaths from racing in last few years have been rare, they do happen.

These are the reasons I believe it is a sport.

P.S. Kyle Busch sucks. Thank you.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    Racing is absolutely a sport, any form of racing. In fact, racing might be more of a sport then some of your average sport.

1. The drivers now have to be in peak physical condition in order to race, even with advancements in cooling and engineering. They have to physically manipulate a car, going at speeds from 100mph-230mph depending on what series, for hours at a time. Internal temps within these cars can be over 120+ degrees.

2. The drivers face extreme risk in racing. Death is not a common occurrence, but does happen. Fire, wreaks, and flipping are some of the dangers they face.

From Wikipedia
    Deaths in NASCAR Winston Cup/Nextel Cup/Sprint Cup (since 1971)

* Friday Hassler, Daytona, February 1972
    * Larry Smith, Talladega, May 1973
    * Tiny Lund, Talladega, August 1975
    * Ricky Knotts, Daytona, February 1980 (qualifying race)
    * Bruce Jacobi, injuries suffered in a 1983 wreck at the 125-mile qualifying races at Daytona (he would remain in a coma until he died in 1987)
    * Terry Schoonover, Atlanta, November 1984
    * Rick Baldwin, injured during qualifying attempt at Michigan in 1986, succumbing in 1997.
    * Grant Adcox, Atlanta, November 1989
    * J. D. McDuffie, Watkins Glen, August 1991
    * Neil Bonnett, Daytona, February, 1994 (in practice)
    * Rodney Orr, Daytona, February, 1994 (in practice)
    * Kenny Irwin, Loudon, July 2000 (in practice)
    * Dale Earnhardt, Daytona, February 2001, Daytona 500 (see also Death of Dale Earnhardt)

Deaths in NASCAR Busch Series (since 1982)

* Clifford Allison, Michigan, 1992 (in practice)
    * Adam Petty, Loudon, May 2000 (in practice)

Deaths in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (since 1995)

* John Nemechek, Homestead-Miami, February 1997
    * Tony Roper, Texas, October 2000

Deaths in NASCAR Modified Series

* Richie Evans, Martinsville, 1985 (in practice)
    * Charlie Jarzombek, Martinsville, 1987
    * Corky Cookman, Thompson International Speedway, 1987 (Charlie J. Memorial race)
    * Kenny Minter, Caraway Speedway, 1995
    * Tom Baldwin Sr., Thompson International Speedway, 2004
    * John Blewett III, Thompson International Speedway, 2007

Deaths in NASCAR Sportsman Series

* David Gaines, Charlotte, May 1990
    * Gary Batson, Charlotte, May 1992
    * Russell Phillips, Charlotte, October 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_racing_drivers_who_died_in_racing_crashes

While deaths from racing in last few years have been rare, they do happen.

These are the reasons I believe it is a sport.

P.S. Kyle Busch sucks. Thank you.

Finally! Someone agrees with me!!!! I had no idea that mnay deaths happened in NASCAR,sad thing is, Dale Earnhardt Sr. died the day my brother had his birthday party :( And Kyle Bush does suck, after he won they threw beer cans at him lol and no one stopped them!!!

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    The death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. has evolved Nascar into what it is today. For better or worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbmgtxCJdY&feature=related
    Michael McDowell is alive today thanks to the advancements made since his death. He should have been dead. Period. I don't question he would have been dead in the old car, even with a HANS Device and an LaJoie or Hendrick seat.

While I don't entirely like the COT, it can save lives. If it does that, were very lucky.

P.S. Kurt Busch got punched in the face by Jimmy Spencer. Kthxbai.

P.P.S. Nascar is still a sport, and even has one of the most STRINGENT drug polices among any sports. Drivers are banned for life right now due to their habits.

Last edited:

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    NASCAR has made sure nothing like Dale Earnhardt happens again. Dale Earnhardt hit the Turn 4 in the '01 Daytona 500 at over 180 mph. If they fixed the wall with the safer barrier, he could've lived. But since they didn't, he died. NASCAR is a sport in which you can crash in the blink of an eye (mostly for superspeedways). I don't hate Kyle Busch, he's good for the sport, almost like the second coming of the Intimidator...

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    NASCAR has made sure nothing like Dale Earnhardt happens again. Dale Earnhardt hit the Turn 4 in the '01 Daytona 500 at over 180 mph. If they fixed the wall with the safer barrier, he could've lived. But since they didn't, he died. NASCAR is a sport in which you can crash in the blink of an eye (mostly for superspeedways). I don't hate Kyle Busch, he's good for the sport, almost like the second coming of the Intimidator...

NO! There is only 1 true Intimidator! Dale Earnhardt!!

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    well, yeah, i kinda agree, emphasis on KINDA but I don't really know why i don't like Kyle Bush......maybe cuz he has dumbo ears:

NASCAR, real sport?

But that isn't why. lol big ears....

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    no i mean ugh! just forget it! lol I don't hate him cuz he has big ears, it's just a driver i don't like. I don't like a lot of drivers to tell you the truth.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    The only reason Kyle Busch is doing anything, is because the Toyota has more horsepower in the lower series, and hes gotten very lucky in the cup. Without Toyota, Busch would be nothing just like his brother.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Finally! Someone agrees with me!!!! I had no idea that mnay deaths happened in NASCAR,sad thing is, Dale Earnhardt Sr. died the day my brother had his birthday party :( And Kyle Bush does suck, after he won they threw beer cans at him lol and no one stopped them!!!

Ooo! Ooo! I agree too... :) And a lot of spectators are loyal to the one driver they support. So they're already bias against any other driver even without knowing who they are. It's the same with team sports, the really dedicated people to their teams are the most defensive of them.

Back