• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Need Advice: How Do I Continue This Nuzlocke?

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I started playing Pokemon Leaf Green under nuzlocke rules again. I did one "baby's first nuzlocke" run with Squirtle where each gym badge was a checkpoint, and I was allowed three revives. Then I did a nuzlocke (with the gym badge checkpoint but no revives) with Bulbasaur (as I'd never used him as a starter all the way through Kanto before, unless you count Yellow and LGPikachu), and I got all the way to Sevii Islands before I got tired and put it aside for a while.

So in this run, I got immeasurably lucky, and I found the 1% encounter rate Nidoran(male) and caught it and added it to my team. Unfortunately, the Rival (just north of Cerulean) was spamming leech seed and sleep powder with his Bulbasaur, and instead of sacrificing the freshly caught Sandshrew, I sent out Wartortle, and I ended up losing the poor thing. It bothers me so much losing my Wartortle as my first "death." I'm so ashamed.

I don't know how to continue the run, but I really want to make use of the potential Nidoking. Is it even worth it for a nuzlocke newbie to continue the run after losing the starter so early?

EDIT: I spoke to two separate friends about it, and they encouraged me to keep going, and I managed to beat Misty with my Level 24 Raticate. It was very difficult without a Grass-type or Pikachu, but I really wanted it, so I grinded a bunch. I'm happy to have an Abra now, but I wish it wasn't Adamant natured. Any advice for the "post-Misty pre-Koga/Sabrina" portions of the game without the starter? Should I even risk my team trying to catch the Snorlax?

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • You can always continue and beat the nuzlocke, that's also how you get better! Nidoking can carry a lot, grab Snorlax once you're high enough level to catch it. Use Celadon Eevee with whichever evolution needed to round out your teams coverage. Alakazam is super strong of course

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    A little update: After those two friends encouraged me to continue, I managed to get all the way to Lavender Town. I lost Pidgeotto to a "Diglett's Cave" Dugtrio who just showed up out of nowhere, and then in Rock Tunnel, I accidentally hit the wrong button and attacked with Fearow instead of switching out, which resulted in losing Fearow.

You can always continue and beat the nuzlocke, that's also how you get better! Nidoking can carry a lot, grab Snorlax once you're high enough level to catch it. Use Celadon Eevee with whichever evolution needed to round out your teams coverage. Alakazam is super strong of course

Alakazam is indeed ruthlessly strong in Gen III Kanto (even if he's not "bonkers" like in Gen I). Do you really recommend attempting to catch Snorlax? I know how valuable he is as a party member, but as an enemy, he can also cause me a lot of trouble while I chuck Ultra Balls at him. Catching him is definitely "high risk, high reward."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i would definitely recommend avoiding snorlax until you think you can manage to handle it in battle bc yeah, part of the issue there is that you want to catch it and not wipe there. but with your lenient ruleset, i think you can manage. plus you should have a lot of other encounters in the box to build up and use. FRLG i think are easy entry points for nuzlocking, esp with the ruleset you're following. you could always defeat one of the snorlax just to gain more access to the region, then come back for the other, if you need to progress and get more encounters.

you've only mentioned pokemon you've lost for the most part, what else do you have in the box? those could be your key to getting back on your feet and finishing this run. i think you're totally capable, especially since you still have more encounters to find if you're still in lavender.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    First off, thanks for replying in both threads. I was very much worried no one else would reply in this thread, which is why I made the other one. I mean, it wasn't strictly the same topic, but I felt guilty about it. In any case, thank you.

I kind of went ahead and encountered Snorlax. The first one on Route 12 fainted from a critical hit from my Raticate's Hyper Fang. Normally I would inch down the HP with something like Quick Attack, but Snorlax has rest. Plus, it's Gen III Snorlax. I successfully caught the second one on Route 16 by putting it to sleep a bunch with my Butterfree. I got really lucky with Butterfree's 75% accurate Sleep Powder. Unfortunately, the One Punch Raticate fainted in battle. An eye for an eye; a normal-type for a normal-type. RIP Ratman the One Punch Raticate!

you've only mentioned pokemon you've lost for the most part, what else do you have in the box? those could be your key to getting back on your feet and finishing this run. i think you're totally capable, especially since you still have more encounters to find if you're still in lavender.

The only two encounters I didn't catch were Meowth near the Day Care south of Cerulean and the Route 12 Snorlax. I caught everything else, except for Route 6, where I stayed out of the tall grass because I plan to revisit for a water-type. I have a Voltorb that I plan to use to catch Vulpix. "Why Voltorb?" Voltorb has "Soundproof" which makes it immune to Vulpix's "Roar," plus Voltorb knows Sonic Boom, which deals exactly 20 HP damage.

The current team consists of Alakazam, Nidoking, Snorlax, Butterfree, Machop, and Eevee, the latter of which I plan on turning into a Jolteon once it learns Bite (which is special in Gen III). To answer your question directly: Drowzee, Sandshrew, Weedle, Meowth, Gastly, Diglett, and the aforementioned Voltorb are also "alive" in the PC. (I think I actually have a Magikarp in the Pokemon Day Care.) I'm probably going to box Butterfree now that I no longer need his Sleep Powder. Gastly (then Haunter) seems like a solid pick since it has the ability Levitate.

Back