• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help replacing laptop casing.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
Years
  • Hi.

I had a Gateway NV53a52u. It fell off the couch, and since then, bits and pieces of the casing has been falling off. Finally, I decided to replace it.

I saw a Gateway NV5214u on ebay for a pretty good price. I want to know if I can buy that (none of the part are functioning, but I really like the style of its casing) and put my parts (including the motherboard) into it. Is that plausible?

I don't want to buy it and find out that I can't use it. That would be bad. Thanks! :-)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • You'd probably be better off just sending it into the manufacturer and paying like $50 or whatever they ask to fix the case.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Is it really that cheap? I asked a guy who owned a computer repair shop here, and he quoted that I'd have to pay him $300 for the parts and $60 for the labor. If it's only 50 bucks, I'd gladly send it to them.

Sean

Years
  • It depends on the cost of a new laptop & the cost of repairing the laptop.

If your laptop was ancient, then it'd be better to purchase a new laptop. If the laptop is still pretty new, or if you like the standard of your current laptop, then I would suggest a repair.

If the repair is cheap, then I would say go for the repair. If it is expensive to repair, say, in the 300$ area as you mentioned, maybe consider getting a new laptop overall.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • It depends on the cost of a new laptop & the cost of repairing the laptop.

If your laptop was ancient, then it'd be better to purchase a new laptop. If the laptop is still pretty new, or if you like the standard of your current laptop, then I would suggest a repair.

If the repair is cheap, then I would say go for the repair. If it is expensive to repair, say, in the 300$ area as you mentioned, maybe consider getting a new laptop overall.

It's new. I bought it from Best Buy in March 2010. It's a pretty good laptop, so I don't see the need to buy a new one.

I'm talking to Gateway now. I'll see what they say.

EDIT: Gateway said that it would be $199 for repair. So, I guess I may end up going with them. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Sean

Years

• It's new. I bought it from Best Buy in March 2010. It's a pretty good laptop, so I don't see the need to buy a new one.

I'm talking to Gateway now. I'll see what they say.

Then I'd suggest just getting your laptop repaired as that is relativity new. I mean why buy a new one when we're only in 2011.

Hopefully you get a cheap price. :')

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • You're right. They said it would be $199. I'll probably just end up going with them. Thanks again for the help. :-)

Back