• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help with a Pokemon Emerald Mod Idea

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm interested in a mod of Pokemon Emerald where a certain battle mechanic is changed. Don't need to change any storyline plots, maps, pokemon, characters, move etc. Only thing that needs to change is this one mechanic.

I'm looking at having a random weather effect activated in every battle. Don't need the overworld to change, just this mechanic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the tool that's best used to change a battle mechanic?

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi everyone,

I'm interested in a mod of Pokemon Emerald where a certain battle mechanic is changed. Don't need to change any storyline plots, maps, pokemon, characters, move etc. Only thing that needs to change is this one mechanic.

I'm looking at having a random weather effect activated in every battle. Don't need the overworld to change, just this mechanic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the tool that's best used to change a battle mechanic?
    Since you're posting this in the decomp section I'm guessing that you already know that the pokeemerald decomp is the best tool for changing or creating game mechanics, as it makes editing the game's code easy. With the decomp you can create a mod like that just by using any text editor program.

To be able to write code that makes a random weather effect activate at the start of battle, you would need to know how to start weather in battle, and where you should add your code to have it run at the start of the battle. Luckily the game already has logic for setting battle weather based on the overworld weather, so you can just modify that to start a random weather instead.

Days
    • Seen today
    Hi everyone,

I thought this would be a fun idea to practice my coding on, so I took a stab at it and got it to work! Here's what I did:
    Spoiler:

I get the feeling that you've never dealt with decomps before, so if you want to get to the point where you can follow my above instructions, click this link and follow the steps to install pokeemerald. Once it is installed, it is really easy to change whatever code you want. You'll just need a text editor. Personally, I use Visual Studio Code, but you can use whatever you want in order to edit the code files. If you're interested, a great map editor for pokeemerald is Porymap. If you're looking for basic tutorials, I'd recommend checking out the tutorial videos on the Team Aqua's Hideout YouTube channel.

I know this can seem like a lot to a beginner, so if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask!

(Edited for ease of use and fixed an error)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I thought this would be a fun idea to practice my coding on, so I took a stab at it and got it to work! Here's what I did:
    Spoiler:

I get the feeling that you've never dealt with decomps before, so if you want to get to the point where you can follow my above instructions, click this link and follow the steps to install pokeemerald. Once it is installed, it is really easy to change whatever code you want. You'll just need a text editor. Personally, I use Visual Studio Code, but you can use whatever you want in order to edit the code files. If you're interested, a great map editor for pokeemerald is Porymap. If you're looking for basic tutorials, I'd recommend checking out the tutorial videos on the Team Aqua's Hideout YouTube channel.

I know this can seem like a lot to a beginner, so if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask!
    Nice work! But using just line numbers to express locations is bad. As the decomp gets updated those numbers can change, so you should at least specify what commit those line numbers are for.

Days
    • Seen today
    Nice work! But using just line numbers to express locations is bad. As the decomp gets updated those numbers can change, so you should at least specify what commit those line numbers are for.
    I agree the way I did it was kind of bad. I'd like my code changes to be displayed with a little bit of the surrounding code to give more of a reference for location and context. However, text color doesn't work properly inside the code box, and without a way to differentiate what is changed code and what isn't, I felt it would be too confusing for people to follow easily.

Just so I understand, when you say to specify the commit do you mean using a link like this? Therefore, an example of my code instruction would look something like this, correct?:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    Just so I understand, when you say to specify the commit do you mean using a link like this? Therefore, an example of my code instruction would look something like this, correct?:
    Yes, that's one way to do it. The part after "blob" in the link is the commit id, so the link always leads to that specific version of the decomp.

If you want to show surrounding code and what was changed you can display your changes as diffs, but the + symbols make copy-pasting larger code blocks less convenient.
    Spoiler:

Days
    • Seen today
    Yes, that's one way to do it. The part after "blob" in the link is the commit id, so the link always leads to that specific version of the decomp.

If you want to show surrounding code and what was changed you can display your changes as diffs, but the + symbols make copy-pasting larger code blocks less convenient.
    Spoiler:

Thank you! You've been very helpful. I'll edit the original reply to be more future proof.

Back