• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Need help with fixing a tileset...

fabulousib

The FabulousIb
Years
  • Hi. Ok so i'm pretty new at ROM hacking so i'm just "making" a really simple one, which is pretty much just a modification of Pokemon Emerald. (Everything is relatively the same except for difficulty, pokemon, area detail, custom areas, etc.)

Anyways while testing my ROM I got to an area that involved the tileset 29, and the textures seemed to be corrupted. The ROM works perfectly fine and everything and it's still 100% playable but in areas like team aqua's hideout, slateport museum, abandoned ship, mt.pyre, etc etc the textures are all jumbled up and don't look proper.

So I went on my original version of the pokemon emerald ROM and saved the normal tileset 29 as a .bmp and .bvd and tried to place it in my rom hack but it didn't work at all :/

So what i'm really asking, is if there's a way to fix tileset 29, replace it, or if I should just try transferring my maps to another emerald ROM. I'll attach some images so you know what I mean by corrupted textures.

(lol don't judge my desktop and yes I took the screenshots while making this post xD )

[EDIT] Since I can't figure out how to fix it I just decided to leave it and just try to fix the areas with different tilesets and making them work as best as I can.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Have you changed Tileset 0 (as in the actual tileset, rather than just the tiles you see in A-Map) in any way? It may be that a tile/texture is common to both, and changing it in Tileset 0 has ruined some others.

fabulousib

The FabulousIb
    Years
  • Have you changed Tileset 0 (as in the actual tileset, rather than just the tiles you see in A-Map) in any way? It may be that a tile/texture is common to both, and changing it in Tileset 0 has ruined some others.

So I should replace Tileset 0 with another Tileset of any sort? If so, then just a couple questions...

1. I've been having trouble inserting Tilesets and videos I've watched are just for inserting just specific tiles, so any way you could explain it for me?

2. Will that fix the one tileset that's bugged or is that one kind of a goner? xD

3. Also what exactly do you mean by "common to both?" I feel like I have an idea but I'm not too sure.

At any rates thank you for the response. I'm sort of inept at this but I really do want to try to make this simple ROM hack, so sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. @_@

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    If you take Tileset 0 out of a clean ROM and insert it in to your current ROM it should fix the tile problems (if that is indeed the problem).

Some tiles are used in both the main and secondary tileset :) so if one of those is changed, it can have a big knock-on effect.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I also have corrupted, scrambled, looking images. I inserted an image into a routine and it works flawlessly but then after tweakiing the image and saving it again, it screws it up.

So I'm curious if you find a solution? My guess is a compression issue on my end. As if I just resave the image, doing nothing to it, it increases in size and becomes scrambled. Any thoughts?

fabulousib

The FabulousIb
    Years
  • If you take Tileset 0 out of a clean ROM and insert it in to your current ROM it should fix the tile problems (if that is indeed the problem).

Some tiles are used in both the main and secondary tileset :) so if one of those is changed, it can have a big knock-on effect.

Ok so I exported the tileset as a .bmp which I believe is what it should be, but whenever I try to load it I get an error? I'll attach some images to show you what I mean. Again, sorry if I'm acting dumb xP

I'm just kind of confused.

(Also was I even putting it in correctly in the first place?)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Did you rename the file or move it at all? You should find that when you save a tileset it creates two files - one .bmp and one .pal (I believe).

fabulousib

The FabulousIb
    Years
  • Did you rename the file or move it at all? You should find that when you save a tileset it creates two files - one .bmp and one .pal (I believe).

Oh really? Perhaps that's the problem. I didn't rename it so I'll try that although I did not see a .pal file, but I will look around my computer to see if it was created elsewhere. Thanks again.

fabulousib

The FabulousIb
    Years
  • Nope, didn't find a .pal file anywhere on my PC. I don't know if it's supposed to be created with the .bmp but regardless, I don't have it. Is there perhaps a guide that I can look at? I'm honestly so confused lol.

Back