• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Some Further Opinions

Blue Cup

Last Amazing Blue
    Years
    I'm going to post my current team in Heart Gold, and I'd like to know if should change anything.

Crobat
    Jolly/ Wide Lense
    ~Hypnosis
    ~Confuse Ray
    ~Zen Headbutt
    ~U-Turn

Arcanine
    Adamant/ Choice Band
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Iron Head
    ~ExtremeSpeed
    ~Crunch

Lucario
    Adamant/ Life Orb
    ~Crunch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Close Combat
    ~Swords Dance

Starmie
    Timid/ Choice Specs
    ~Thunderbolt
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Psychic
    ~Surf

Aggron
    Adamant/ Life Orb
    ~Earthquake
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Head Smash
    ~Aqua Tail

Claydol
    Bold/ Leftovers
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Earth Power
    ~Stealth Rock
    ~Rapid Spin

I developed this team to do battle with a small group I'm part of, so I know it's effective there. But I'm wondering if this team, as long as I'm not taking part in OU or Uber battles, will be able to stand a chance elsewhere?

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    This will work fine in-game since the movesets are all pretty standard.

You could try Rock Polish > Ice Punch on Aggron, it makes his offensive set a lot more effective.

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
    Imo, Lucario really benefits from using Extremespeed to help deal with anything threatening over the Base 90 speed tier, especially since the move works so well alongside Swords Dance. I would replace Ice Punch. While it is nice to be able to hit the Ground type harder, Starmie can cover that easily and a neutral Close Combat attack actually does more damage than a Super Effective Ice Punch attack after applying STAB (Ice Punch has 150 BP, Close Combat has 180).

In-game, Choice Items are generally wise to avoid because they make your life harder in that you will want to be sweeping through teams quickly and the Choice Item hinders your ability to do so because you will often be using attacks that are resisted by the opponent, and will therefore be forced to switch out. For this reason, I would recommend that you go with the Wise Glasses > Choice Specs on Starmie.

As suggested, Aggron can run a Rock Polish set to great effect. Seconding the idea of replacing Ice Punch, it isn't doing very much for this set that Aqua Tail isn't doing already.

I'm guessing that you got the Claydol set from somewhere competitive because Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are both wise to avoid when playing in-game. This is because the AI hardly switches, and so your SR damage won't spread our very well and the AI doesn't employ Entry Hazards very much, so Rapid Spin is slightly wasted. Imo, running Ice Beam > Stealth Rock and Calm Mind > Rapid Spin would aid your team greatly because it gives you a Special Tank of sorts and also helps you to cover your glaring Ground Weakness, which only Starmie can handle at present.

Overall, a pretty nice team for getting through the game. I hope you take some of my advice into consideration. Good luck.

Blue Cup

Last Amazing Blue
    Years
    Hm, I think may have posted this in the wrong area. My team was built with competition in mind, hence the little blurb at the end of my original post.

"I developed this team to do battle with a small group I'm part of, so I know it's effective there. But I'm wondering if this team, as long as I avoid OU or Uber battles, will be able to stand a chance elsewhere?"

My bad. Any mods want to move this to the proper area?

Back