• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] New and confused am I~

mudkip003

Kitty-Kitty
    Years
    I'm pretty new to hacking. I kinda know how to use Advance Map, thanks to tutorials, but I'm still pretty shaky. Sadly, my scripting sucks...

Anyway, I've been trying to work on a Ruby Hack idea that I've had for a while.
    I've only got fragments of the plot pinned down, but basically it's set in a world where Pokemon supposedly don't exist.
    The player will begin a new game by being told (in place of Birch's intro) that the stories the player was told as a child about 'monsters' are real. However, these monsters are not evil, as the stories say. Then, the explanation says "Don't forget what I've told you. You've already forgotten me." and changes to a conversation.
    "They're coming to! Hurry, doctor!
    Let me test for any residual damage. Can you remember, are you a boy or a girl?"
    The player answers with their selected gender.
    "Okay, good. Now, can you remember your name?"
    The player punches in their name.

The plot revolves around how the character seems to be mixing reality with dreaming. A reoccurring character in the dream sequences will be a recolored, slightly-altered Flygon (Yeah, very original, I know. I swear there'll be a reason for the recolored-ness. I'll come up with it eventually. I hate mary-sue-esque stories...)

Anyway, the main character will seem to be teetering on the verge of insanity, but I'll try to make it not entirely crazy. Basically, later in the game the dream-sequences will make more sense. There'll be two worlds, a dream world and a waking world. The world-change-sequence will be initiated by a certain event. I'm thinking that certain pokemon centers will say, "your Pokemon seem a bit odd. I think we should keep them overnight. You're welcome to stay in one of our spare rooms!" and then you'll wake up. But each time that happens, the waking world will have changed a bit, and pokemon will have started appearing in that world. I'm also thinking that, since I can't exactly take the pokemon screen out of the menu bar, I'll make something about how they can't come out when they're in the waking world.

I don't know. By the end of the game, the two worlds will have merged into one. I think it'll be cool...

I don't know if this was the sort of post I was meant to make in this forum, but that's what I gathered from the "READ THIS FIRST" thread. >.<;;

What I have difficulty with (or would like help with) is basically:
    --finding a script editor that works with Windows 7 Starter[32 bit] (Because Advance Text doesn't work, no matter how many 'fixing' tutorials I go through)
    --working on my story-line, adding to it and tweaking things
    --spriting
    --Scripting
    --Re-doing the script of Prof. Birch's intro
    --Deciding whether to do a ruby hack or crystal hack

I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially on the story line (Which I'm in the process of writing down, actually... Don't wanna forget anything!).

Thanks~
    --Kitty

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    I'm pretty new to hacking. I kinda know how to use Advance Map, thanks to tutorials, but I'm still pretty shaky. Sadly, my scripting sucks...

I've only got fragments of the plot pinned down, but basically it's set in a world where Pokemon supposedly don't exist.
    The player will begin a new game by being told (in place of Birch's intro) that the stories the player was told as a child about 'monsters' are real. However, these monsters are not evil, as the stories say. Then, the explanation says "Don't forget what I've told you. You've already forgotten me." and changes to a conversation.
    Let me test for any residual damage. Can you remember, are you a boy or a girl?"

The plot revolves around how the character seems to be mixing reality with dreaming. A reoccurring character in the dream sequences will be a recolored, slightly-altered Flygon (Yeah, very original, I know. I swear there'll be a reason for the recolored-ness. I'll come up with it eventually. I hate mary-sue-esque stories...)

Anyway, the main character will seem to be teetering on the verge of insanity, but I'll try to make it not entirely crazy. Basically, later in the game the dream-sequences will make more sense. There'll be two worlds, a dream world and a waking world. The world-change-sequence will be initiated by a certain event. I'm thinking that certain pokemon centers will say, "your Pokemon seem a bit odd. I think we should keep them overnight. You're welcome to stay in one of our spare rooms!" and then you'll wake up. But each time that happens, the waking world will have changed a bit, and pokemon will have started appearing in that world. I'm also thinking that, since I can't exactly take the pokemon screen out of the menu bar, I'll make something about how they can't come out when they're in the waking world.

I don't know. By the end of the game, the two worlds will have merged into one. I think it'll be cool...

I don't know if this was the sort of post I was meant to make in this forum, but that's what I gathered from the "READ THIS FIRST" thread. >.<;;

--finding a script editor that works with Windows 7 Starter[32 bit] (Because Advance Text doesn't work, no matter how many 'fixing' tutorials I go through)
    --spriting
    --Scripting

I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially on the story line (Which I'm in the process of writing down, actually... Don't wanna forget anything!).

Thanks~
    --Kitty

i think it sounds really really good, like really good.
    i dont have any advice except keep with it

Years

--spriting
    --Scripting

Thanks~
    --Kitty

First of all, I suggest making a Ruby hack. Ruby already has lots of features that aren't in Crystal, like for example the running shoes, and it has multiple colors, which makes it even more fun to play. However, I suggest changing the tiles and graphics later.
    Great script editors are XSE and PKSVUI.
    Most of the text can be changed using script editors, but some parts can't, as they aren't triggered by scripts. To edit these, you need tools, but if the tool doesn't work, you could still HEX edit to change it.
    The storyline is pretty good.
    I wish you good luck :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Fire Red has better colors and graphics IMO :D
    Love the opening dialogue :D

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Why don't you hack Yellow? It is full GBcolor (not SGB-featured like R/B), it has the pokemon-following feature, but above all it hasn't been publicly hacked so much, so you can still discover tons of new stuff.

Or, if you prefer 3D-graphics and all that stuff, why don't you hack HGSS? Yes, I think that if you are one of those that consider graphics before everything else, then you should hack HGSS.

Too bad, the trouble with newer games is that the newer they are the bigger they get. So, hacking them will require lots of time. On the other side I heard (I never hacked them) that NDS games are organized in sub-files which should imply more tidy.

After all, a good compromise would be 2nd gen: not too big ROMs, pretty well organized, lovely graphics, good stock of pre-existing features.

msfan645

Back from Inactivity
    Years
    Wow. That storyline was awesome. Are you a movie storyline producer or something?

Last edited:
    Back