• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New beginning or just a restart?

RivalGator

I hate them all.
Years
  • Naah, I doubt that it is a new beginning.
    Maybe for nostalgic value, or running out of ideas, but I highly doubt that it is a new beginning. Or at least I hope not, because that definitely means we're going backward instead of forward when it comes to enjoying the games... (Retro fan, so shoot me.)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Just a restart...it's impossible to ignore how similar some new Pokemon are to various Pokemon of the past, and the game doesn't feel all that different... and in many ways, the differences that are there make the game worse than what's come in the past.

If this is a new beginning, they certainly didn't stray far from what it was... more or less an "evolution" (pardon the pun) than anything else. And unfortunately, it's an evolution in the wrong direction, at least in my opinion.

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • Look at real life, now the game, now back to real life.

Notice how there are hundreds of thousands of different kinds of nearly the same thing. A simple thing like "fish", has millions of different species, yet Pokemon only have around 10? Seems like there aren't nearly enough Pokemon with similar features. For a world like Pokemon to be realistic, saying something like "we already have a bat pokemon, zubat" is ridiculous.
    The world thrives on variety, its not just a collectible game, but also a world where "fish" don't exist, only Pokemon. I have problem at all, and honestly wish they would add more Pokemon of similar species.

I consider this gen to be a new beginning. It's been quoted over and over, but not having any of the old Pokemon in the new world makes it feel so much newer, even if the basic building blocks are the same. It's like getting a new Lego set, sure its still Legos, but now you have different shapes, colors, and other niche effects to play with. It's also the first Pokemon game I could convince an otherwise anti-Pokemon person to try out, and eventually enjoy. The game has been streamlined, no longer requiring you use HM's all the time for everything, which allows for a much greater freedom in team creation during the game.

You could consider it a restart, but I feel like to have a "pure new beginning" would mean no longer doing a turn based game, or no longer having a 6 party limit, or other huge over-arching changes. Which will never happen because far far to many people enjoy the mechanics as they are now. So this is the closest you're ever going to get to a "new beginning".

sabs546

that guy
    Years
  • heh afro bull
    on the last comparison

when I played black and white (not sure which one) on the emulator it always remimded me of something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it

probably haert gold and soul silver if not then I don't even know why it seemed so familiar liuke I've done this a billion times before

wait wait wait

I just noticed something

purrloin
    glameow
    isn't that alike

then theres
    blitzle
    ponyta

ok so that ones not that good
    but their evolutions are kinda the same too

zebstrika
    rapidash

they are kinda copies but these ones aren't by type standards

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I'm guessing the reason why the Pokemon from the 5th generation look very familiar towards the other generations of Pokemon is because they are trying to be realistic in the world. Some animals in different continents may be the same species of the animal but its not; they are just look alikes. So I'm guessing its a restart

:t354:TG

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
    Years
  • They tried to make it a new beginning, but I think it's a restart too.. not huge differences though.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
  • I don't see why people continue to claim that Game Freak has run out of ideas. As far as I can see, they haven't. Alomomola is based on a sunfish while Luvdisc is based on a discus fish; Bouffalant is based on a bison while Tauros is based on a bull. Sure, they look similar, but there are many fish and bovines that can be mistaken for another here on Earth. Game Freak wished to use new species as a design basis with a flavor of nostalgia. I see nothing wrong with that.

Did these games revolutionize? Of course not. Why would anyone expect them to? Pokemon is a thing to remain intrinsically stagnant, only to change in flourishes and projections. The amount of battling styles was doubled: that's as major a change as one can expect with this series.

EDIT: I just read what Molts wrote. We are thinking along the same line.

Last edited:
    Back