• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[NEW ENGINE] YAPOW: Yet-Another-Pokemon-Open-World

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    *Appreciate this is slightly unusual, so even just pointing me in the direction of someone who might help would help massively*

Project Description:
    • The project aim is to create a Pokémon Fire Red game engine in JS, with the goal of developing a Gen 3 Pokémon open-world game (Kinda like PokeWilds). The project is all about recreating the magic of the classic Pokémon games while adding new features and expanding the world, and allowing others to expand and remix further.
    Positions Available:
    • JS Programmer:
      I'm looking for 1 or 2 talented and enthusiastic JS programmers to assist me; be it fleshing out an existing system/mechanic to completion, or helping in the creation of new systems/mechanics
    • Consultants - Any of--:
      • Experienced modders - game feature & game design requests, specially feedback of any past struggles, discussion over what the "base" template game for the game engine should be provided with
      • Experienced gamers - feedback on what features/storylines have made the most memorable games / mods
      • Long time fans - what core features "make" a pokemon game
      • Experienced community members - legal advice; community-oriented feature requests
      • Experienced game server admins - feedback on your setups, server management specific feature requests, discussion over monetisation ;)
    I'd love to have you on board to ensure the direction of the project heads in the right direction.
    If there's any features you've ever wanted to implement in your game or have implemented in a game but have struggled with an existing engine/framework/pipeline, your feedback would be invaluable.
    • Graphics:
      Potentially looking for someone to provide a "default" tileset which is authentically Pokemon fire red, however made from scratch thus not using copyrighted gfx, but tbh this isn't my biggest concern.

Kit Used:
    • We're using a custom-built JavaScript engine. Utilising the P5 lib for canvas control. Working with Bun.

Plot Outline:
    • This engine will eventually be suitable for any plot; fully scripted to random open world.

Planned Unique Features (For the engine, not gameplay features):
    • 🎉 Offline & online game-play with some semblance of a verification system to validate authenticity of a pokemon (caught location & stats) [Online level and experience will be a seperate metric to offline]
    • Portability: play on any device with access to a webbrowser

Spoiler: Progress video / screenshots

Credits:
    • I plan on using the Pokemon from poke fusions, because it's too good of a community resource to not use.
      My end game is essentially going to be a fan game of a fan game.
    • When in doubt, I will be looking at Pokewilds; not necessarily to copy, but to understand how they solved the various problems.
      My end game could be put in the same category as pokewilds, however I think they'll have quite a different feel.

Last edited:
    Back