• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

new game hack (but need some ideas -_-,)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2011

ok so im trying to make my own hack and i have no idea were to start =/
    my friend and i have already drawn out some fakemon but....not a story yet......
    i have no exp with any hacking tool and im a really bad spriter so plz try and help me out i guess
    as for names for the game im thinking either of these:
    pokemon magicks
    pokemon fatal abyss or,
    pokemon apocaliptic revenge

yea.....so welll..... yea just post away i guess.....
    oh btw im new to pokecommunity so dont be hateing if i do something wrong :/

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Lol...I forsee a rough time for your future hack. You don't have ideas for a storyline, you have no experience with hacking tools, and you won't be doing the spriting, but you are enthusiastic about fakemon and you're already working on a name for the hack... Those priorities are reversed. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try, but there are so many in-progress hacks already, and so few of them ever get finished. I think the root cause is that everyone gets excited by the idea of making their own hack and launches into the design stage without really thinking it through. If groups of people worked on one hack together, progress would be much faster and more hacks would actually get finished. But, of course, no-one wants to compromise on their artistic vision. That's what it is - too many people with artistic vision, too few with practical coding and spriting skills.

Regardless, if making a hack is your heart's desire, the first stage is to work out a storyline. I feel that this should be your priority, since it's what will make your hacks different from the other hacks already out there. If the plot is a rewording of the standard Pokemon game, why would anyone want to play it? Originality is needed. Having some kind of vision doesn't hurt, either. Why do you want to create a hack in the first place? Is there a particular story that you want to tell? Maybe you're into social commentary? Or you want to plunge an imaginary character into a world of misery? When planning the storyline, you have some flexibility.

Next, you'll want to recruit hackers and spriters. I'll warn you - everyone else is also looking for hackers and spriters, so you'll have to convince willing volunteers that your project is the one to work on. I guess incentives in the form of money won't work unless you have a lot to spare. Alternately, you could learn the valuable skills of hacking and spriting yourself, but remember that you're only one person with only so much spare time, and the hack will progress slowly.

As for fakemon, a recent poll about what people hate most in hacks suggests that they are really, really unpopular among the general populace. I think they came 3rd or 4th. Pokemon players are used to the familiar, well-balanced Pokemon system. Replacing the old Pokemon with fakemon will totally change the gameplay and likely annoy people if you do a poor job of it. If you really, really want fakemon in your hack, consider adding just a few, for spice, and taking critiques from people about whether the designs are up to par.

The name of the hack should probably be the last thing you design, since it's not nearly as important as the content of the hack. I've seen hacks named Pokemon Brown, Indigo, stuff like that - doesn't tell you anything about the game, but doesn't inspire loathing either. Simple is best.

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
  • This belongs in the rom hacking section not game development, how do people mix the two up?
    Also, you're basically doing nothing for this hack.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back