• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New to Pokemon. Please help me make sense of it all.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Last time I played a Pokemon game was when I played Pokemon Emerald. I see there are all these new games that came out since then... Leaf Green, Diamond, Soul silver, and finally Black/White.

What I really cannot understand is if there is any major difference story/characters/content wise between all of these games aside from each new game introducing more pokemon into the mix?

Now, lets assume there is no difference between at least some of those games. If that was the case, why would anyone want to buy the newer versions? Cant I just get the newer pokemon in trade from other people and be done with it?

Finally, about trading... I see that the requirements are always to beat the elite four first, before you can trade. But isn't that absolutely silly? If you beat the elite four, you pretty much finished the game. So why bother with getting more pokemon into it? What I would imagine trading to be good for, is to be able to play the story-line from start to finish with a certain pokemon that is not available in that game unless traded into it! Now that, would be nice. But if I already beat the game, I don't care anymore to acquire any new pokemon into it.... Is there any way to play one of these games from start, with a traded in pokemon?

Thanks very much.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2013
    "What I really cannot understand is if there is any major difference story/characters/content wise between all of these games aside from each new game introducing more pokemon into the mix?"

The actual events of Pokemon itself are more or less in chronological order. Have you noticed that in each new gen, things from past games are referenced? And with each new gen, more new Pokemon or discovered, more game mechanics are introduced. Naturally new characters are being introduced because each games takes place approximately 1 or 2 years after the last (I don't think this is official, just a speculation)

"If that was the case, why would anyone want to buy the newer versions"

I love Pokemon. I love the new Pokemon, characters and mechanics that come with new games. So, why wouldn't I buy them? Wouldn't you want to buy a sequel to your favorite games? I think what you're trying to say is, each game is more or less the same, so why would I buy 5 versions of the same game? Well... Each gen is INCREDIBLY different from the others. I'm simply experiencing Pokemon in 5 different ways.

"If you beat the elite four, you pretty much finished the game."

...No. If you have beaten gen 3 or gen 4, you will see that there is a plethora of things to do in the post game. Some people restart after the elite four though- it's all a matter of personal preference.

" Is there any way to play one of these games from start, with a traded in pokemon?"

Unless you hack it in, no. Playing with a starter all the way through is part of the magic of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I think what you're trying to say is, each game is more or less the same, so why would I buy 5 versions of the same game? Well... Each gen is INCREDIBLY different from the others. I'm simply experiencing Pokemon in 5 different ways.

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Personally I do not think that adding new pokemon with new gameplay mechanics, new characters, and references to older games(but keeping the main storyline/gameplay the same) makes the later versions incredibly different, but that's just me. Be it as it may, if I didn't enjoy pokemon and didn't want to play these games regardless of how much new storyline they offer, I wouldst be talking to you right now. ; )

I am still somewhat confused about the point of trading.

Ok so you say there's plenty of things to do with traded-in pokemon after game is "finished", but you CANNOT use these traded-in pokemon to start the game from the beginning.
    But what if you beat the game, traded in an otherwise non-existent pokemon, and restarted the game... Would you be able to use that pokemon from the beginning in this case?

If that's still not possible, let me see if I understand correctly... Trading in pokemon into games where they didn't exist otherwise is mainly for PvP, and to use them to capture other pokemon you haven't captured yet? I cant think of any other uses.

Also, you say there's a plethora of things to still do after you beat the elite four. Aside from catching new pokemon, what else is there? I couldn't find much to do after I beat the elite four, and captured groudon and keyogre in Emerald.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Actually, you can't trade Pokemon from newer generations into previous generations games, because they simply do not exist in those games' code.

Now, for your questions. While the gameplay is still what you know, start in your hometown, defeat the Gym Leaders, Elite 4 and then become the champion, I think the games are so much more than that. Yes, there are huge differences in story, characters and content among the generations. That is why people keep buying the games, at least, that is why I bought the sequel after playing White, and that's why I will get Pokemon X in October.

Also, you can start trading Pokemon before the Elite 4, I think in B2W2 you could do it right after the first Gym, I can't tell for older generations. And even if it were so, saying that the game is over after beating the Elite 4? No way, there are so many things left to do, exploring, battling, completing your Pokedex, which is, BTW, the reason why, like you put it, bother with getting more pokemon into it.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
    Years
    ibex333, since you have so many questions wouldn't it be much quicker to simply look up most of this information yourself?

I can tell you as someone who has recently got back into playing Pokemon I've found myself thoroughly enjoying the newer generation of games. The games definitely have more content than the last game you've played, Emerald. I'm currently playing Black 2 and I'm pretty casual in my play as I maybe boot it up 3 or maybe 4 times a week and play for about and hour or more.

If you're truly interested in getting into Pokemon and you've already had a history of playing at least one of the previous games in the franchise then you should already have an idea if this venture is worth it. It should literally come down to you looking up info on each version and determining which version has the exclusive Pokemon you're most interested in attaining and giving it a go.

Last edited:
    Back